• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,947 posts in this topic

On 3/13/2023 at 9:01 PM, AJD said:

I'm going to swim against the tide here and say that one is pretty cool. And since the creator's names are the focus of the cover anyway, it kinda makes sense.

Not gonna lie - I thought the same. lol.  It's like "if you ever wanted a signature - here it is".  And, like you said, the comic kind of fits the purpose.  I thought I remember reading that the only reason that there's "only 99" is that's as much as the CGC label or system would fit or something, but I could be wrong about that.

Why stop at 99? They went that far, might as well make it an even hundo. Unfortunalely I gave that book a second thought. That thought was I thought cgc had to witness the signature before thy slab it. I can't see all the dates but I see a lot which leads me to wonder how many times that book was cracked and reslabbed. On 3rd thought I don't care. 

On 3/13/2023 at 6:03 PM, Dark Knight said:

Holy moly! :whatthe:  I wonder how much that person spent to get all those autographs!!!  

You know probably not as much as you would think. The several hundred dollars it cost to regrade that in total, is likely comparable to the cost of all the sigs. Mainly because most of the 117 creators on the cover are free when it comes to 1-2 items for a signature. The bigger names that are still alive usually range in the $10-$20 range and there’s not many of them. Anyone who does charge is usually $2-$5. There’s maybe a handful or so of people still alive that charge more than $20. Those would be like Romita Sr, Roy Thomas, McFarlane, etc…

I have around 40 on mine, and the most expensive one by far was Stan at $100 back in the day. But the sketches I got definitely start to add up. Those cost around $40-$50 usually, depending on the artist. I think one of them cost me like $10-$15.

28D3266B-F483-455E-BC16-4017C3DBDF3A.jpeg

On 3/14/2023 at 4:54 AM, batman_fan said:

Cost for comic - $3,000

Cost for signature on the comic - $15,000

The thrill of bragging to you friend who has never heard of Frazetta that you have a Frazetta autograph - priceless

Except that you can buy Frazetta OA signed by him that's less than $15k. 

On 3/14/2023 at 1:54 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

You know probably not as much as you would think. The several hundred dollars it cost to regrade that in total, is likely comparable to the cost of all the sigs. Mainly because most of the 117 creators on the cover are free when it comes to 1-2 items for a signature. The bigger names that are still alive usually range in the $10-$20 range and there’s not many of them. Anyone who does charge is usually $2-$5. There’s maybe a handful or so of people still alive that charge more than $20. Those would be like Romita Sr, Roy Thomas, McFarlane, etc…

I have around 40 on mine, and the most expensive one by far was Stan at $100 back in the day. But the sketches I got definitely start to add up. Those cost around $40-$50 usually, depending on the artist. I think one of them cost me like $10-$15.

28D3266B-F483-455E-BC16-4017C3DBDF3A.jpeg

That's pretty cool!  Did you have to pay for all of them?  I was given an Extreme Studios book back in the day that has 50 or so sigs on it, that's the most I have on 1 book.  

Side note:  I'd do my best to bring books for creators to sign, but if I didn't have one for a creator and I couldn't find anything reasonable to buy on the spot at a con I'd just use the con program.  Those things come in handy!  

On 3/14/2023 at 9:58 AM, pmpknface said:

That's pretty cool!  Did you have to pay for all of them?  I was given an Extreme Studios book back in the day that has 50 or so sigs on it, that's the most I have on 1 book.  

Side note:  I'd do my best to bring books for creators to sign, but if I didn't have one for a creator and I couldn't find anything reasonable to buy on the spot at a con I'd just use the con program.  Those things come in handy!  

Yeah I paid for and got all signature/sketches. Not sure what the Con Program is but I'll look into it, thanks!

Just received my catalog phamplet for the upcoming Heritage Signature Auction in the mail a few minutes ago and was flipping through it when I noticed the following book here:  :whatthe:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crime-suspenstories-22-gaines-file-pedigree-12-12-ec-1954-cgc-nm-92-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7339-91028.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Crime, Crime SuspenStories #22 Gaines File Pedigree 12/12 (EC, 1954) CGC NM- 9.2 Off-white to white pages....

Looks like it's going to be an interesting tussle between this CGC 9.2 graded copy here and the CGC 9.4 highest graded one that's wrapping up later this afternoon on CC.  Especially since a CGC 8.5 graded copy had sold for $52,800 back in November and a slightly higher graded CGC 9.0 copy had sold for $72K, with this CGC 9.4 sitting at $64K with only a couple of hours left to go. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

Well, looks like the challenge has been put forward for the Heritage CGC 9.2 graded copy coming up at the end of this month as this nicely presenting and visually appealing CGC 9.4 graded copy on CC finished up strongly last night at just a tad over the $90K:  :slapfight:  lol

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/982253

cri1.708.jpg

If not for the number of HG copies of this book coming to market recently and the existence of even higher graded copies iout there, I am sure that this copy here would have hit into the 6-figure territory without much too problem at all.  hm  (thumbsu

Will definitely be interesting to see where the 9.2 Heritage copy finishes up at and if this seeming strength in classic cover PCH continues on its strong momentum upwards. :popcorn: :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 3/16/2023 at 1:18 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like the challenge has been put forward for the Heritage CGC 9.2 graded copy coming up at the end of this month as this nicely presenting and visually appealing CGC 9.4 graded copy on CC finished up strongly last night at just a tad over the $90K:  :slapfight:  lol

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/982253

cri1.708.jpg

If not for the number of HG copies of this book coming to market recently and the existence of even higher graded copies iout there, I am sure that this copy here would have hit into the 6-figure territory without much too problem at all.  hm  (thumbsu

Will definitely be interesting to see where the 9.2 Heritage copy finishes up at and if this seeming strength in classic cover PCH continues on its strong momentum upwards. :popcorn: :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

I may be the contrarian here but I thought the Crime Suspenstories 22 ended lower than I would expect.  I would say it is the definitive PCH cover book.  Absolutely beyond gruesome in its image.  This copy is from the premiere pedigree collection and looks amazing.

On 3/16/2023 at 12:36 PM, batman_fan said:

I may be the contrarian here but I thought the Crime Suspenstories 22 ended lower than I would expect.  I would say it is the definitive PCH cover book.  Absolutely beyond gruesome in its image.  This copy is from the premiere pedigree collection and looks amazing.

Same here, except isn't this 4 HG copies coming to market in only a few short months plus the fact that there's also higher graded copies of CGC 9.6 and a CGC 9.8 already slabbed out there just waiting in the wings to make its appearance?  (shrug)  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 3/16/2023 at 2:47 PM, lou_fine said:

Same here, except isn't this 4 HG copies coming to market in only a few short months plus the fact that there's also higher graded copies of CGC 9.6 and a CGC 9.8 already slabbed out there just waiting in the wings to make its appearance?  (shrug)  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

This copy has the best eye appeal of any of the copies I have seen go up for auction.  The 9.6 and 9.8 copies aren’t on the market and may never be.

On 3/13/2023 at 5:58 PM, Telegan said:

I don't mind signatures if they're actually rare/from an artist I loved.  Nowadays, creators are churning out signatures so fast, it devalues it to me.  Was it Todd McFarlane that said something like the comics without his signature are rarer than the ones with?  lol.

But for your enjoyment - CGC Certifies an Amazing Spider-Man #700 with 99 Signatures — the Most Ever Recorded

ASM700_99sigs_OBV20221121153135979.png

That is actually pretty cool!

On 3/19/2023 at 5:41 PM, Professor K said:

This weekends auction put all the GA books on Sunday. 

Opera Snapshot_2023-03-19_204132_comics.ha.com.png

Now I can see why they were looking to hire more graders of their own because it seems that an overwhelming portion of their books for these Sunday 3-day auctions are now raw as they are probably not worthwile to send in for CGC certification.  (shrug)  :p

I imagine some of their consignors are willing to give them their nicer books for consignment, but only on the condition that they also take all of their other crapola books and I imagine the Heritage warehouse must be filling up to the point of almost exploding by now.  lol

On 3/20/2023 at 8:41 AM, Professor K said:

This weekends auction put all the GA books on Sunday. 

Opera Snapshot_2023-03-19_204132_comics.ha.com.png

Yeah, they finally appear to getting away from a strict alphabetical approach for their weekly auctions and instead are breaking down by era, which makes a lot more sense.

I sent them two Golden books in late February and they are listed for a Sunday auction on May 16th. With Comiclink they can recieve a book a day or two before the auction starts and it's in. I think CL pays up a lot quicker too. Either way as long as they pay. 

On 3/20/2023 at 12:10 AM, tth2 said:

Yeah, they finally appear to getting away from a strict alphabetical approach for their weekly auctions and instead are breaking down by era, which makes a lot more sense.

Makes more sense no doubt. I kind of like them mixed in over 2 days a little better. Once you scroll through the 50 or so Spidey books it's not that bad. 

On 3/20/2023 at 11:49 AM, lou_fine said:

Now I can see why they were looking to hire more graders of their own because it seems that an overwhelming portion of their books for these Sunday 3-day auctions are now raw as they are probably not worthwile to send in for CGC certification.  (shrug)  :p

I always wondered why people submitted low value low grade SA and BA books to CGC in the first place.  Did they not know how to grade, or did they just feel like making a charitable donation to CGC?  I see so many books where the submitter must've lost money just on the grading fees alone, even if they bought the book off the newsstand.