• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection?

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection  

630 members have voted

1. 1. Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection

497 posts in this topic

What do you think? Is the self-proclaimed Don Rosa collection a pedigree?

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection?

You know it's funny, this thread has taken on a life of it's own that I had forgotten how it got started. I was thinking that it started out as a Don Rosa chat session type thread which would have explained why some people were so angry about the direction it took, but it actually started out as a poll about whether his comics were a collection or a pedigree that became a discussion and debate that Don Rosa graciously joined and then a heated discussion with a couple of people really getting into it. Then all hell broke loose and then it just kind of petered out towards the end with what seems like a lot of bad feelings. Anyway it's interesting to go back and look at the poll again.

Wow, are we supposed to exalt EVERY "celebrity" that comes through this way? Guess I missed the memo.
No, but there was a huge war between Mushroom and Shield. Then a huge "piling on" of nothing but spinning post counts that lasted for more than two pages (depending on your settings).

Then after a complete removal and then a return of the thread to this forum ( after I wrote to Dena+Arch asking them to return it, which turned out to be a waste of time ) there continued to be a steady flow of people to post in this thread who weren't even talking about Rosa.

Last night you had your choice of threads to view. This one or the multiple "I don't dig shills" threads.

Slim pickings.

Artist don't have to be "EXALTED" as you say, but can't there be some semblance of polite order?

If I post two graemlins in a row in some thread, it ticks off at least 15 people here, but random static in a good thread turns out to be free speech that should be encouraged. screwy.gif

A few of us complained about the craziness of this thread, and we're told to get over it. Stop complaining. The forum has always been this way. ETC...

If you don't like something and leave, we'll post a graphic that makes fun of you on the way out.

Real smooth.

Thank goodness Kirby can't come here. Someone would taunt him about his later work.

I never said I didn't like him... I'm just asking if anyone here has ever spoken with Don Rosa. Have you?

No, which was I was would be interested in him posting his thoughts on the board. I don't care if anyone considers his books a pedigree or not. Anytime you get a writer/artist on the boards he/she should be encouraged to partcipate in discussions. Yet, people who obviously have an agenda of some time, feel it was okay to assault him about his books being a pedigree.

Very sad.

... I'm just asking if anyone here has ever spoken with Don Rosa. Have you?
Corresponded with him once in 2000 then a couple times in 2001.

And then this beautiful thread.

The real problem is.... we CAN'T discuss pedigrees. It should be a banned topic along politics.

How many times have we had the "what is and isn't a pedigree" discussion? And how many times have things gotten out of hand and people went ballistic over a disagreement? It's crazy how seriously some people take this stuff.

I only wish Don Rosa would have come into these boards via the Gold forum... say discussing Barks books. Or in the Silver forum discussing his earliest comic collecting.

Comics General is a minefield and anybody who wants a serious discussion should look elsewhere. Period.

I never said I didn't like him... I'm just asking if anyone here has ever spoken with Don Rosa. Have you?

No, which was I was would be interested in him posting his thoughts on the board. I don't care if anyone considers his books a pedigree or not. Anytime you get a writer/artist on the boards he/she should be encouraged to partcipate in discussions. Yet, people who obviously have an agenda of some time, feel it was okay to assault him about his books being a pedigree.

Very sad.

Which is why this thread might have had a shot if it had started in the copper forum or somewhere else.....alas it was a General topic though.

• Administrator

Imagine a radio show where a celebrity stopped by to answer phone in questions... but no one screened the calls... and everyone who called was kept on the line to keep talking with the hosts, the celebrity, and the other callers.

THAT is what a message board is. If you want a moderated interview style Q&A session, then those controls have to be in place. People will not simply organize themselves into nice packaged questions with clean answers and move along to the next topic.

Discussing pedigrees wasn't the problem. The problem was that several people chose to attack Don for thinking he was marketin his books on the boards and that Don was proclaiming his books as good as every other pedigree. This simply wasn't the case, but that didn't stop the attackers.

People will not simply organize themselves into nice packaged questions with clean answers and move along to the next topic.
But if caller 2 disagrees with caller 1 and states that opinion, fine.

Caller 1 would have to call back and then wait in line for rebuttal.

This message board is different than your analogy.

A confernce call is a better analogy. Mister Rosa is on a line, yet gets to hear huge amounts of bickering and name calling from a group of us, not to mention people chiming in to say virtually nothing but typed static.

I would have hung up.

Obviously this isn't the greatest venue for a discussion with someone like Rosa unless it's prearrainged and monitored, which would probably create more problems. An interview with Vincent at Metropolis would be a great way to do it if it hasn't already been done.The original discussion interested me...it may have been done before but I haven't been involved in many if any and since there are always new members a lot of these discussion get repeated, just the way it is. These boards are a bit like the wild west sometimes and when people get out of hand the more you try to calm them down the rowdier they get. I also think that some people figured that since Rosa came in during the debate that he should be treated the same as everbody else. ( by the way I think everyone should be treated with respect unless they blatantly cross the line)Had the thread been set up as a Q and A with him then a certain amount of decorum would be expected. Anyway, what happened was very unfortunate.. no other way to put it.

Obviously this isn't the greatest venue for a discussion with someone like Rosa unless it's prearrainged and monitored, which would probably create more problems. An interview with Vincent at Metropolis would be a great way to do it if it hasn't already been done.The original discussion interested me...it may have been done before but I haven't been involved in many if any and since there are always new members a lot of these discussion get repeated, just the way it is. These boards are a bit like the wild west sometimes and when people get out of hand the more you try to calm them down the rowdier they get. I also think that some people figured that since Rosa came in during the debate that he should be treated the same as everbody else. ( by the way I think everyone should be treated with respect unless they blatantly cross the line)Had the thread been set up as a Q and A with him then a certain amount of decorum would be expected. Anyway, what happened was very unfortunate.. no other way to put it.

Oh Black Hand...what about your comments about his prostate? Also, I don't know if I'd necessarily want to read an interview with a comic book dealer; it'd be akin to going to your Honda dealer and discussing Hondas. I'd rather just talk to the enthusiasts/artists/writers/wacko collectors (IAN) et al.

Or Chuck Norris.

If we could get a CN Q&A going, that'd be great. Although every answer would always be, you guessed it, a roundhouse kick to the face!

Discussing pedigrees wasn't the problem. The problem was that several people chose to attack Don for thinking he was marketin his books on the boards and that Don was proclaiming his books as good as every other pedigree. This simply wasn't the case, but that didn't stop the attackers.

did this really happen?? Was this the part that was pulled? I missed it.

popcorn.gif

Very sad.

It was pretty sad of how the thread turned ugly, real fast.

The man comes here to maybe discuss his collection/pedigrees, and it really is irrelevant if you think its a Pedigree or not. He didnt designate it, CGC did, so your beef should have been with them, instead of some of the snide comments made about it confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, I gave it another two days, like I said, but it takes too much time to sift through all this stuff and find only nonsense messages or bickering. (And a few pertinent questions, hope I didn't miss any in all the clutter!) But this isn't my forum, so people can post any kinda messages they want, it's none of my bizniz. But I have too much other stuff I need to be doing. Thought I was needed here, but I'm deleting the link from my desktop as of now.

Anyone needs anything can always contact me directly.

Thanks! Bye!

frown.gif come back.

Oh Black Hand...what about your comments about his prostate? Also, I don't know if I'd necessarily want to read an interview with a comic book dealer; it'd be akin to going to your Honda dealer and discussing Hondas. I'd rather just talk to the enthusiasts/artists/writers/wacko collectors (IAN) et al.

Or Chuck Norris.

You mean the funny heading I used in your website? I thought that was pretty funny, so did you. But I was pretty respectful on this thread and this site, but thank's for pointing it out. Pretty funny. I haven't heard from you very much since you dug yourself that deep hole on this thread, what's new? 27_laughing.gif

I'm just asking if anyone here has ever spoken with Don Rosa. Have you?

I have and he is a nice guy. He has appeared as a guest at my comic shows several times over the years and you could not ask for a better guest.

A man of his word and great with his fans. thumbsup2.gif