• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection?

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection  

630 members have voted

1. 1. Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection

497 posts in this topic

>>>>Wow, good to see that this board is inhabited by intelligent, fully functional adults and not the fictional "overgrown adolescents" that the general public believes make up the comic collecting community.

Yes. I came on here after being told that some fellow collectors might have some questions for me about those comics they were seeing and/or buying. I didn't expect this sorta stuff.

I'll give it a few more days, then ta-ta.

Don please stick around, the vast majority of us look forward to your future contributions on these boards.

From the Sheild

Not true. I happend to think him appearing here, the debate about "pedigree" nomenclature and the subsequently coincided EBAY sales all have one goal. Marketing, baby, marketing!

If this is so why did he wait till the last week of graded cgc sales to come on the boards. I'm done with this thread unless somehow it gets back on track with some good Q&A with Mr. Rosa.

From the Sheild
Not true. I happend to think him appearing here, the debate about "pedigree" nomenclature and the subsequently coincided EBAY sales all have one goal. Marketing, baby, marketing!

If this is so why did he wait till the last week of graded cgc sales to come on the boards. I'm done with this thread unless somehow it gets back on track with some good Q&A with Mr. Rosa.

I'll help you. I'll stay off this thread as I could very well be wrong about my assumptions.

I *will* however jump into any thread where Edgar Church is being called "very lazy" and other slams.

I'm off this thread. Sorry Don, your collection is very nice!

Shawn

and you didn't even start your sentences with the disclaimer "According to lore and legend," which is required by the laws of all 50 states, Canada, and Mexico. poke2.gif

You have learned well, Grasshopper! 27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif

Any comments on our friend Mushroom's posts about Edgar Church? crazy.gif

Nope, I'm staying the hell out of that flame war. angel.gif

You know, it is kinda' nice to sit one out every once in a while. thumbsup2.gif

Here's my realist version of how the Church collection came to be.

1. Obsessive compulsive artist with some kind of "hording" disorder.

2. Dry climate

3. Low light

4. Right time, right place for Chuck.

I don't know how much Church did for future collectors, but I know what his "horde" did, that's for sure. I just don't see Church as some kind of hero. I think he had some "compulsions" that he indulged and that we're all better off for it, but I don't think he intentionally did anything for future generations of collectors.

Well said! thumbsup2.gif

Agree with r100/Beltan. Mr. Rosa has stated in this thread that he started buying off the rack in '66. The absence of early high grade Silver purchased directly by Mr. Rosa makes this a (very nice) collection, rather than a pedigree, in my opinion.

The issue as to whether the original owner collection spanning the late Golden, Atom, and early Silver ages that was purchased directly from said owner by Don is another matter entirely. One would have to see the list of books and their grades in order to decide about whether this component is pedigree-worthy.

Yeah, everything Bob and Beltan said! headbang.gif

Don, I appreciate you taking the time to answer questions and set the record straight regarding the Rosa Collection.

Personally, I love the books I've purchased, and will continue to hunt for more in a effort to flush-out runs I'm assembling.  I think it would be neat to put some Rosa runs together.  Different twist to collecting you might say.

To me it's all Classic Nostalgia.  I started reading/collecting in 1970, so these books bring back many memories.  Moreover, I can now re-buy the books I used to own.  This time, however, in much better condition.  And as an added bonus, I get a great origin to go along with them!

• Administrator
Thank you Arch for removing all the junk posted in this thread. hail.gif

Wow, Don Rosa's collection sure has some pull with CGC!

Let's get this straight. The reason we pull posts is to clean up unproductive, overtly disagreeable discussion - which, frankly, you all should know better than to indulge in. It's a waste of the fantastic resource that CCG is paying to provide you with.

Civil discussions, even though they may contain many disagreements of opinion, are within the posting guidelines of these boards. Outright attacks and generally nasty behavior are not. Those who engage in what would, in person, be clearly characterized as a shouting match rather than a debate should not be surprised to find their posts pulled.

Those who are fond of claiming that an insistence on civil behavior is some kind of bias by the moderators depending on which topics get cleaned up are simply engaging in sensationalism because it amuses them. And they should stop it. Because it gets on my last nerve. Especially given the enormous amounts of horse manure we wade through to try and provide an open and accepting posting environment.

flowerred.gif

let me also add my thanks for Don taking his time and coming on the boards to answer some questions.

the Pedigree issue will rage on for some time, as there are very good points on both sides of the argument.

the argument that a collection must be from an era when most folks weren't collecting books is an interesting one, but seems to have already been trumped by a couple of mostly late silver/bronze aged pedigrees (i believe).

a collection spanning 14 years or so and including virtually every book published in great shape, with a great back story, is probably an easy Pedigree decision to this old dude................ thumbsup2.gif

Thank you Arch for removing all the junk posted in this thread. hail.gif

Wow, Don Rosa's collection sure has some pull with CGC!

Let's get this straight. The reason we pull posts is to clean up unproductive, overtly disagreeable discussion - which, frankly, you all should know better than to indulge in. It's a waste of the fantastic resource that CCG is paying to provide you with.

Civil discussions, even though they may contain many disagreements of opinion, are within the posting guidelines of these boards. Outright attacks and generally nasty behavior are not. Those who engage in what would, in person, be clearly characterized as a shouting match rather than a debate should not be surprised to find their posts pulled.

Those who are fond of claiming that an insistence on civil behavior is some kind of bias by the moderators depending on which topics get cleaned up are simply engaging in sensationalism because it amuses them. And they should stop it. Because it gets on my last nerve. Especially given the enormous amounts of horse manure we wade through to try and provide an open and accepting posting environment.

flowerred.gif

27_laughing.gifhail.gif

Arch, can you confirm or deny that there's a red phone on Steve's desk and a red phone on yours through which he can call you and have you immediately delete any thread on a topic having to do with alleged members of the Grand Comic Conspiracy, and that the phones were originally white but turned red because of the heat being generated by the frequency of their usage? poke2.gif

Can you also confirm or deny that you have to wear an aluminum foil overcoat to work to protect you from the phone? poke2.gifpoke2.gif