• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection?

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection  

630 members have voted

1. 1. Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection

497 posts in this topic

After reading numerous articles, newsletters, and emails penned by Chuck R, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind the man enjoys writing. So much so, I get the distinct impression he injects his very own flavor of creative writing.

Story teller? Embellisher? Author? Keyboard Narrator? Call it what you will. Personally, I enjoy reading his pieces, especially "Tales from the Database". His writing style helps invoke mental imagery. With that said, however, I always read his stuff with a wee-bit of skeptical salt.

As an Australian I find that comment derogatory.......and it is a racial stereotype. Stop telling me how I should feel or react and don't say it is just like a calling you a buckeye because it isn't. A Buckeye isn't an insult. Oh, and by the way when Elaine uses that term she is using it to insult someone else's intelligence.

It's the same thing! I didn't call you a dingo! Besides, aren't buckeyes something attributes to this region of the United States? Aren't dingos known to be soley in Australia (and maybe NZ)?

Whew, if that offends you, you have to be the most thinned-skin person ever!

And, how could this possible be worse that saying Edgar Church was too lazy to get rid of his collection while he's lying on his death bed?

I hope you don't watch Crocodile Hunter. I'm calling all the local "Outback Steakhouse" restaurants and yelling at them.

Wow, good to see that this board is inhabited by intelligent, fully functional adults and not the fictional "overgrown adolescents" that the general public believes make up the comic collecting community.

I for one am feeling better and better with every post...

Oh, and I've been waiting to use this image for about a month, so here we go:

boyfight.jpg

I think maybe both of you all need to take a day or two away from the boards to chill out. Just an opinion.

I think maybe both of you all need to take a day or two away from the boards to chill out. Just an opinion.

Sorry, I was just defending what I'd read about Edgar Church. I'll not be called a racist either. Sorry if I stand up for things.

Ok. I haven't read this entire thread, but I have a question.

It seems there's a debate going on as to whether this collection should be a pedigree or not, and the debate is centering around the intentions of the collector, Edgar Church. Is this right?

If so, what do the intentions of the collector have to do with anything? If it's a single collection with a large number of old, high grade books, isn't that enough to make it a pedigree, or am I missing something in the definition of 'pedigree'?

If not, then why the debate on whether Church was collecting or obsessively hording?

Nothing wrong with standing up for yourself and your opinions, but I think the "this board isn't big enough for the two of us" thing is a little over-the-top. So you guys disagree about Church, Chuck, Comics, and Dingos... what's the big deal? Just keep out of each other's hair.

Not to say I don't love watching a good flame-war, but from what I've seen of you two over the past couple of years, I think that you're both above the current arguement.

Nothing wrong with standing up for yourself and your opinions, but I think the "this board isn't big enough for the two of us" thing is a little over-the-top. So you guys disagree about Church, Chuck, Comics, and Dingos... what's the big deal? Just keep out of each other's hair.

Not to say I don't love watching a good flame-war, but from what I've seen of you two over the past couple of years, I think that you're both above the current arguement.

That's a fair assessment. Utterly wrong, but fair. frown.gif27_laughing.gifpoke2.gifflowerred.gif

Ok. I haven't read this entire thread, but I have a question.

It seems there's a debate going on as to whether this collection should be a pedigree or not, and the debate is centering around the intentions of the collector, Edgar Church. Is this right?

You're exactly right. Edgar Church is the collector. A dingo wants to buy all the Don Rosa books out from under him.

If so, what do the intentions of the collector have to do with anything? If it's a single collection with a large number of old, high grade books, isn't that enough to make it a pedigree, or am I missing something in the definition of 'pedigree'?

If not, then why the debate on whether Church was collecting or obsessively hording?

Well, some thing the "Dingo Pedigree" is a bit off. Mushroom wants "From the Koala collection" and I disagree.

1099714-koala-australia.jpg

1099714-koala-australia.jpg.27b514de2a25f2d67b8b9db7433d1ab4.jpg

Yeah, but how would this collection NOT qualify as a pedigree. That's what I'm not understanding...

Jack, please go back and read the entire thread. I was just teasing you.

Shawn

Don Rosa has undoubtedly put together an amazing collection of high grade books. However the lack (thus far) of any issues that are considered key or significant to the history of the hobby precludes the collection from Pedigree status imo.

Agree with r100/Beltan. Mr. Rosa has stated in this thread that he started buying off the rack in '66. The absence of early high grade Silver purchased directly by Mr. Rosa makes this a (very nice) collection, rather than a pedigree, in my opinion.

The issue as to whether the original owner collection spanning the late Golden, Atom, and early Silver ages that was purchased directly from said owner by Don is another matter entirely. One would have to see the list of books and their grades in order to decide about whether this component is pedigree-worthy.

Is that the debate? Fu$k, I've been posting in the wrong thread this entire time. Stoopid comic books, stoopid Ed Church, stoopid CGC........

>>>>Wow, good to see that this board is inhabited by intelligent, fully functional adults and not the fictional "overgrown adolescents" that the general public believes make up the comic collecting community.

Yes. I came on here after being told that some fellow collectors might have some questions for me about those comics they were seeing and/or buying. I didn't expect this sorta stuff.

I'll give it a few more days, then ta-ta.

>>>>Wow, good to see that this board is inhabited by intelligent, fully functional adults and not the fictional "overgrown adolescents" that the general public believes make up the comic collecting community.

Yes. I came on here after being told that some fellow collectors might have some questions for me about those comics they were seeing and/or buying. I didn't expect this sorta stuff.

I'll give it a few more days, then ta-ta.

Shame, shame on you ALL!

Dear Don,

If you made it this far, I apologize for you having to read through this mess. If you quit reading this thread before it turned into a flame war and never make it this far, I guess you'll never know how lucky you were! 27_laughing.gif

However, if you do read it, please know that you, and only you, have the power to save this thread from the deepest, darkest depths of humanity....by posting a quick sketch of The Shield versus a Giant Mushroom, please!?!? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Sincerely, drbanner

ditto sorry.gif