• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wachowskis' THE MATRIX 4 starring Keanu Reeves (5/21/21)
4 4

462 posts in this topic

On 12/23/2021 at 1:04 AM, bronze_rules said:

Outstanding.:golfclap: Exceeded my expectations and did justice to the original trilogy. Best blockbuster movie for me in years.

My only regret is not seeing it on the big screen.

Same here.  Follows up the trilogy very well and I probably will see it in a theatre before its gone.

There are two movie moments I will never forget. One was in 1999 while floating out of the theater after seeing The Matrix, knowing I’d just experienced something amazing. The other was in 2003, about 30 minutes into Matrix Reloaded,  as that bloated pile of pretension began to collapse like a dead walrus. Years passed before I bothered with number three, Matrix Revolutions — another stiff.

People talk all the time about what went wrong with the Matrix sequels. To me, the answer is obvious. The Matrix is cool. That movie is cool as hell. Everyone’s cool. Neo (Keanu Reeves) is cool. Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) is even cooler. Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) is the coolest of them all. The sunglasses, the leather, the poses, the Hell, yeah, we’re gonna go get Morpheus. But first, we need guns, lots of guns.

Everything about The Matrix is mind-blowingly cool.

The sequels are nothing close to cool, primarily because Zion (the whole franchise is about saving the city of Zion) is uncool. Zion sucks. The people of Zion suck. They’re all boringly perfect and uncool, and there’s a bunch of boring people in charge instead of that badass Morpheus, who’s dumped in the background after getting emasculated by Mary Sue Pinkett-Smith. This is what we’re fighting for? This lame- Utopia? These awful people? Put me back in the Matrix, person_without_enough_empathyez.

Further, instead of delivering stakes and peril, the sequel’s fight scenes were like watching your nephew play a videogame. The dialogue went from cool simplicity to a vomit shower of confusing exposition.

In short, The Matrix franchise went from John Shaft to Don Lemon and never recovered.

Nor does it recover with Matrix Resurrections, which is still in nerd mode, still confusing, and almost always tedious.

Thomas Anderson (Keanu Reeves) is alive and well and the legendary designer of a videogame called The Matrix (wink-wink). Twenty years after blowing everyone away with his Matrix trilogy (wink-wink), Mr. Anderson is a neurotic unsure of his place in the world and still in love from afar with Tiffany (Carrie-Anne Moss), the woman he modeled Trinity after (wink-wink). Well, now Warner Bros. (wink-wink) wants to reboot (wink-wink) the Matrix franchise and…

Kill me now.

It’s all so clever, so aware, so adorable, so agonizingly tedious and cute and self-serious and uncool; and every time you get the feeling Resurrections might have a chance at lift-off, along comes the beep-beep-beep of a dump truck filled with confusing exposition to back up and unload all over your stupid face.

Like Reloaded and Revolutions, Resurrections actions scenes have no sense of peril — so it’s back to watching your nephew play a video game. Even worse, Resurrections’ actions scenes are hyper-edited and choppy. As uninvolving as they were, one of the saving graces of the previous sequels was the balletic beauty of the mayhem. Now, that’s taken away from us.

Resurrections also looks and feels cheap. Even within the Matrix’s Matrix, there’s no sense of scope. Everything comes off as stage-bound, claustrophobic, cut-rate. Despite the return of Lana Wachowski in the director chair, the overall filmmaking is nowhere near as smooth or accomplished.

There’s one good scene — a simple conversation between Neo and Trinity in a coffee shop. Here the movie gets out of the way to allow two charismatic stars to be charismatic stars, and that’s the only time the dead walrus comes to life.

Reloaded and Revolutions are two movies I might someday watch again, thinking, They can’t be as bad as I remember, can they?

Resurrection will never even earn that benefit of the doubt. 
https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2021/12/23/matrix-resurrections-review-another-terrible-matrix-sequel/?fbclid=IwAR1lCmSteeDKujTKixPuVNGuFqShWwVl35UTY9kB5wwIPz5ie3Wgz276ebo

On 12/23/2021 at 2:42 PM, kav said:

There are two movie moments I will never forget. One was in 1999 while floating out of the theater after seeing The Matrix, knowing I’d just experienced something amazing. The other was in 2003, about 30 minutes into Matrix Reloaded,  as that bloated pile of pretension began to collapse like a dead walrus. Years passed before I bothered with number three, Matrix Revolutions — another stiff.

People talk all the time about what went wrong with the Matrix sequels. To me, the answer is obvious. The Matrix is cool. That movie is cool as hell. Everyone’s cool. Neo (Keanu Reeves) is cool. Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) is even cooler. Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) is the coolest of them all. The sunglasses, the leather, the poses, the Hell, yeah, we’re gonna go get Morpheus. But first, we need guns, lots of guns.

Everything about The Matrix is mind-blowingly cool.

The sequels are nothing close to cool, primarily because Zion (the whole franchise is about saving the city of Zion) is uncool. Zion sucks. The people of Zion suck. They’re all boringly perfect and uncool, and there’s a bunch of boring people in charge instead of that badass Morpheus, who’s dumped in the background after getting emasculated by Mary Sue Pinkett-Smith. This is what we’re fighting for? This lame- Utopia? These awful people? Put me back in the Matrix, person_without_enough_empathyez.

Further, instead of delivering stakes and peril, the sequel’s fight scenes were like watching your nephew play a videogame. The dialogue went from cool simplicity to a vomit shower of confusing exposition.

In short, The Matrix franchise went from John Shaft to Don Lemon and never recovered.

Nor does it recover with Matrix Resurrections, which is still in nerd mode, still confusing, and almost always tedious.

Thomas Anderson (Keanu Reeves) is alive and well and the legendary designer of a videogame called The Matrix (wink-wink). Twenty years after blowing everyone away with his Matrix trilogy (wink-wink), Mr. Anderson is a neurotic unsure of his place in the world and still in love from afar with Tiffany (Carrie-Anne Moss), the woman he modeled Trinity after (wink-wink). Well, now Warner Bros. (wink-wink) wants to reboot (wink-wink) the Matrix franchise and…

Kill me now.

It’s all so clever, so aware, so adorable, so agonizingly tedious and cute and self-serious and uncool; and every time you get the feeling Resurrections might have a chance at lift-off, along comes the beep-beep-beep of a dump truck filled with confusing exposition to back up and unload all over your stupid face.

Like Reloaded and Revolutions, Resurrections actions scenes have no sense of peril — so it’s back to watching your nephew play a video game. Even worse, Resurrections’ actions scenes are hyper-edited and choppy. As uninvolving as they were, one of the saving graces of the previous sequels was the balletic beauty of the mayhem. Now, that’s taken away from us.

Resurrections also looks and feels cheap. Even within the Matrix’s Matrix, there’s no sense of scope. Everything comes off as stage-bound, claustrophobic, cut-rate. Despite the return of Lana Wachowski in the director chair, the overall filmmaking is nowhere near as smooth or accomplished.

There’s one good scene — a simple conversation between Neo and Trinity in a coffee shop. Here the movie gets out of the way to allow two charismatic stars to be charismatic stars, and that’s the only time the dead walrus comes to life.

Reloaded and Revolutions are two movies I might someday watch again, thinking, They can’t be as bad as I remember, can they?

Resurrection will never even earn that benefit of the doubt. 
https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2021/12/23/matrix-resurrections-review-another-terrible-matrix-sequel/?fbclid=IwAR1lCmSteeDKujTKixPuVNGuFqShWwVl35UTY9kB5wwIPz5ie3Wgz276ebo

Wow, who peed in your single cell protein combined with synthetic aminos??

On 12/23/2021 at 4:04 PM, kav said:

I took the green pill.

Wow...deja vu! :fear:

Yes, Reloaded and Revolutions were not as good as the original but they had actions scenes that rivaled the originals best. Reloaded’s highway scene was pure adrenaline and Revolutions mechwar was spectacular despite cheesy bad dialogue throughout. I rewatch all those movies for certain scenes now. I watched half of Resurrections yesterday before I had to go in to work and will wrap it up tonight. Of course I don’t have much to say on it yet except that the first half of the movie had nothing that took my breath away. The original trilogy created new filming techniques and technology. Jaw dropping action scenes. I really hope the second half delivers something. Anything.

I find it odd that positive reviews are touting how this latest iteration does justice to the original trilogy. Outside of the first movie, the other two suck, so I see no reason to do justice to the trilogy as a whole.  If anything, they should reboot two and three away.  It’s too late to save Star Wars, but The Matrix is quirky enough that it could be made to happen.

On 12/24/2021 at 12:25 AM, ▫️ said:

Yes, Reloaded and Revolutions were not as good as the original but they had actions scenes that rivaled the originals best. Reloaded’s highway scene was pure adrenaline and Revolutions mechwar was spectacular despite cheesy bad dialogue throughout. I rewatch all those movies for certain scenes now. I watched half of Resurrections yesterday before I had to go in to work and will wrap it up tonight. Of course I don’t have much to say on it yet except that the first half of the movie had nothing that took my breath away. The original trilogy created new filming techniques and technology. Jaw dropping action scenes. I really hope the second half delivers something. Anything.

Follow up. While the first half was slow and failed to impress me, the second half picks up and gives us a Matrix level action scene. But still left me wanting more. It seems like there was a lot missing from this. A couple of great moments with the duo (coffee shop and in the finale) but nothing will really knock your socks off. Is this another planned trilogy? I guess the box office will decide that. 

On 12/24/2021 at 1:09 AM, ▫️ said:

Follow up. While the first half was slow and failed to impress me, the second half picks up and gives us a Matrix level action scene. But still left me wanting more. It seems like there was a lot missing from this. A couple of great moments with the duo (coffee shop and in the finale) but nothing will really knock your socks off. Is this another planned trilogy? I guess the box office will decide that. 

This is exactly whats depressing about modern cinema

There is nothing backing the story because its all about the money

Sometimes I just want a story that is made up for the sake of telling it

Haven't seen a movie that fits this criteria in a long long time

On 12/24/2021 at 12:09 AM, ▫️ said:

Lots of monologuing (sic?) and gloating dialogue and extended kung fu scenes that have become so droll they could legitimately be replaced by a screen card that says "Kung fu scene here" and gives the results.  yawn.
Really its time to move on past the villain who is uber-confident, monologuing bore.

We watched it last night on HBOMax and I was pretty disappointed.  It was way more confusing then it needed to be and it just didn’t flow nearly as well as the first 3 (which is saying a lot since the 3rd one was pretty confusing).  I must have fallen asleep in the last third of the movie since the ending didn’t make much sense.  But in general it wasn’t a great movie 

On 12/24/2021 at 4:14 PM, 1Cool said:

We watched it last night on HBOMax and I was pretty disappointed.  It was way more confusing then it needed to be and it just didn’t flow nearly as well as the first 3 (which is saying a lot since the 3rd one was pretty confusing).  I must have fallen asleep in the last third of the movie since the ending didn’t make much sense.  But in general it wasn’t a great movie 

I said this movie would be a dud and I was right.  I was wrong about Dune, but not this one.  There is nothing original or interesting here.  And the many scenes of the gloating bad guys was a bit hard to watch.  The kung fu scenes could have just been cut and pasted from previous Matrixes.
All around dud city.

On 12/24/2021 at 9:13 PM, kav said:

I said this movie would be a dud and I was right.  I was wrong about Dune, but not this one.  There is nothing original or interesting here.  And the many scenes of the gloating bad guys was a bit hard to watch.  The kung fu scenes could have just been cut and pasted from previous Matrixes.
All around dud city.

bob-ross-happy-trees.gif.a0cdfe3f03bf3c5e7c74daace55159ce.gif

Merry Christmas!

:shy:

On 12/25/2021 at 2:46 PM, piper said:

I’m still looking forward to seeing this.

While I didn’t think it was great, the last 30 minutes is one great action sequence. I’ve watched the movie once on HBO and I’ve rewatched that final act three times now. I just wish the first two hours were as good as the last thirty minutes.

I read that Hugo Weaving was invited back to reprise his role but there were scheduling conflicts. Huge mistake for Lana to press on without him. If Agent Smith is unavailable you f*cking wait for him.  On top of that, what difference would it make if the film was pushed back a little? Screw it, lets just release this at the same time as the Spider-Man finale. And throw it up to stream on HBO as well. 

Edited by ▫️

I am holding off seeing this to see it with friends.

I am going into it with low expectations because I agree with @kav.

The first film was amazing and is one of my favorite films of all time. The story was incredibly innovative and so was the action.

After that it is a downhill slide. I do like the motorcycle chase scene but beyond that I didn't really like film 2. Film 3? I have never finished watching it - really do not like it at all.

So what will the new film be? Will it actually "resurrect" the magic of the first film, or is it more likely we see more of the style of the 3rd?