• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's FANTASTIC FOUR (TBD)
8 8

1,115 posts in this topic

On 7/27/2022 at 4:25 PM, Bosco685 said:

Uncle Ben elimination all over again 

"How do we take that and bring something that they’ve never seen before?”

Why does it have to be something we have never seen before? That was done in 2015's Fant-4-Stik which featured an origin that resulted from the development of a teleportation pod that sent them to another dimension. That film didn't work out so well Mr. Feige, so my advice is to stick close to the source material that fans have loved for 60 years. 

On 7/28/2022 at 9:54 AM, Artboy99 said:

Why does it have to be something we have never seen before? That was done in 2015's Fant-4-Stik which featured an origin that resulted from the development of a teleportation pod that sent them to another dimension. That film didn't work out so well Mr. Feige, so my advice is to stick close to the source material that fans have loved for 60 years. 

Like they have with Namor...

On 7/28/2022 at 7:54 AM, Artboy99 said:

I'm pretty sure he means "haven't seen in an FF movie" despite his not saying exactly that.

On 7/28/2022 at 9:22 AM, D84 said:

Like they have with Namor...

I really dislike the look of Namor in the Wakanda Forever trailer, but will give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they capture the personality and power of the Sub-mariner properly even if they can't say he is the ruler of Atlantis for whatever their reason is.

On 7/28/2022 at 9:45 AM, Artboy99 said:

We can only hope but his recent track record says otherwise.

Maybe.  It's probably not reasonable to expect 100 percent fidelity to the source material.  I doubt there's ever been a movie based on written material that was.  Not that there couldn't be, but creative people want to "make it theirs" rather than just copy someone else's art.

On 7/28/2022 at 10:49 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Maybe.  It's probably not reasonable to expect 100 percent fidelity to the source material.  I doubt there's ever been a movie based on written material that was.  Not that there couldn't be, but creative people want to "make it theirs" rather than just copy someone else's art.

I agree with you, I just see Namor in Wakanda Forever as a wasted opportunity. Imagine how awesome it would have been to introduce him in the first Fantastic Four movie, like he was back in Fantastic Four #4.

On 7/28/2022 at 9:58 AM, Artboy99 said:

I agree with you, I just see Namor in Wakanda Forever as a wasted opportunity. Imagine how awesome it would have been to introduce him in the first Fantastic Four movie, like he was back in Fantastic Four #4.

Yeh, I'm not sure what story they want to tell there - I assume it's "two hidden kingdoms war" which could be interesting but I'll withhold judgment until I actually see it.  It could easily be dumb.  How does this fit - if it does fit - into the future announced "Avengers" movies?

I suspect the problem they face is that they're using the FF movie as part of a different/larger storyline which may not include Namor.  As others have noted, the "Infinity War" storyline really anchored the previous movies, even the ones that didn't directly relate to the Thanos story.

On 7/28/2022 at 11:48 AM, Artboy99 said:

I really dislike the look of Namor in the Wakanda Forever trailer,...

Really?  When I first saw him I was like "that's Namor"!...it was undeniable.  ALSO...I'm glad they didn't go with the hulking muscles chiseled look to differentiate him a lot more from Aquaman.

***I'm just happy that Namor is still recognizable in the movie adaptation

On 7/28/2022 at 6:21 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Really?  When I first saw him I was like "that's Namor"!...it was undeniable.  ALSO...I'm glad they didn't go with the hulking muscles chiseled look to differentiate him a lot more from Aquaman.

***I'm just happy that Namor is still recognizable in the movie adaptation

He is missing the widow's peak in the hairline which may not seem important but it is part of his decades long look, and I don't recall seeing Namor with a moustache and goatee (other than when he was being "shaved" by the Human Torch in FF4 ) or the large garish earrings or a nose piercing. The outfit is to much "Mayan", but I have heard he isn't from Atlantis anymore. Shrug...is he really Namor?

Namor.jpg

lf.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

On 7/28/2022 at 7:31 PM, Artboy99 said:

He is missing the widow's peak in the hairline which may not seem important but it is part of his decades long look, and I don't recall seeing Namor with a moustache and goatee (other than when he was being "shaved" by the Human Torch in FF4 ). The outfit is to much "Mayan", but I have heard he isn't from Atlantis anymore. Shrug...is he really Namor?

Fair enough.  So let me change my answer...I'm just glad they didn't make him Chinese or African American (to a point when he showed up I didn't say "what??").

***Personally, I thought he looked great

On 7/28/2022 at 6:43 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Fair enough.  So let me change my answer...I'm just glad they didn't make him Chinese or African American (to a point when he showed up I didn't say "what??").

Yes I am glad he isn't Chinese or African American or worse a female and I am sorry that I am so picky, I just really wanted Marvel to tackle the similarities to Aquaman head-on and "kill it" with extremely strong character, this feels like they have changed so much they are hiding and every time Talocan is mentioned I will grit my teeth.

Edited by Artboy99

On 7/28/2022 at 10:54 AM, Artboy99 said:

Add to your analysis that there are no original concepts. It's not possible to bring us something that we have not read, heard, or seen before. This is a bad way of looking at story material. 2c

On 7/29/2022 at 3:43 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Seriously? It’s a terrible representation all the way to the costume. Eddie Munster would have been a better choice. And we’re just going to redact Atlantis? This is not Sub-Mariner. He should have been in the cast of Apocalypto.

On 7/29/2022 at 9:02 AM, ▫️ said:

Seriously? It’s a terrible representation all the way to the costume. Eddie Munster would have been a better choice. And we’re just going to redact Atlantis? This is not Sub-Mariner. He should have been in the cast of Apocalypto.

So I don't understand what change is considered acceptable and what changes aren't (not calling you out specifically...just in general).  So his origin is now Aztec/Incan...so what?

- Nick Fury is black

- Spiderman is played by a bunch of different people (also an animated pig)

- Nobody got angry with Fat Thor

- etc.

I'll be more upset if the movie doesn't do him justice as a character...which I'll wait until I see it.  I understand nostalgia and holding onto what we grew up with but I think we need to be more flexible with change (whether we like it or not).

***Multiverse...I'm sure the perfect Namor exists in one of the universes lol