• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's FANTASTIC FOUR (TBD)
8 8

1,120 posts in this topic

On 10/21/2022 at 9:36 AM, Straw-Man said:

i'd be ok with the casting.  not a star wars guy, so no butt-hurt fanboy issues with driver.   i've liked him in several movies.

Only seen two things with him, Star Wars movies and Logan Lucky.

Star Wars, well they sucked, not saying he did in particular, but those last 3 movies sucked so much they put the stink of suckiness on him.

Logan Lucky, I enjoyed that movie and thought he did a really good job in his role.

So I guess what I am saying is that he is 50/50 for me.

On 10/23/2022 at 6:53 AM, Cman429 said:

My only problem with Driver is that Doom is supposed to be this devastatingly handsome dude before Reed’s stupidity gets him all mangled up. Dude looks like a Ferengi. I’d have preferred him play Ben. He does emo better than anyone and that’s what Ben needs. 

I assume you post this with sarcasm in mind.

Ben is a football hero jock who is definitely no where close to resembling emo. Ben met Reed at college as he was there on an athletics scholarship as he was a star football player. My preference would be that they at least cast someone who has the appearance of being athletically gifted and capable.

I'm always on board with a good actor, regardless of his/her/their previous films.  Driver was definitely a highlight of the latest SW trilogy in the sense that he made terrible material palatable and showed real emotion for what he was given to portray.  (Which, I will say, wasn't very good, especially in the latter two films.)

Not sure I would ever have cast him as Doom, but maybe that's a good thing?  As always, I'm open to being impressed by talented people.

Dan

On 10/24/2022 at 1:00 PM, Drummy said:

I'm always on board with a good actor, regardless of his/her/their previous films.  Driver was definitely a highlight of the latest SW trilogy in the sense that he made terrible material palatable and showed real emotion for what he was given to portray.  (Which, I will say, wasn't very good, especially in the latter two films.)

Not sure I would ever have cast him as Doom, but maybe that's a good thing?  As always, I'm open to being impressed by talented people.

Dan

I know what you are saying, when you enjoy a character, and the history of that character.

It was similar with Hugh Jackman when he was first cast as Wolverine, because Wolverine is supposed to be 5' 3", and kind of ugly, meanwhile, well, we all know about Hugh Jackman.

After the release of X2 however, he really pulled it off, and truly came out to me as definitive Wolverine that I can appreciate. 

I know Driver isn't what I would consider, traditionally handsome whatsoever, but he is such a great, great actor that he could elevate Doom, if that is his character, to a level which any fictional character deserves. I am on board with talent.

I definitely see that point -- too much overlap from the big-picture big picture (movies) perspective, potentially drawing unhappy comparisons.  

Whomever they cast, they have to be a strong enough actor to do BOTH 'over the top' and intimate as Doom.  That's hard to pull off.

D

On 10/24/2022 at 4:12 PM, TupennyConan said:

It won't be DOOM if he's maskless after the injuries.

I can see him using an uninjured & maskless DOOMBOT, though.

There will be a half broken mask scene. There must be. With the modified voice.

On 10/25/2022 at 11:39 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

After becoming worldwide-recognizable as Kylo Ren, it would be a mistake to cast Driver as Doom. Just because he was great behind 1 mask doesn't mean he should be typecast.

He looks better behind a mask. Talk about a face for radio.

On 10/25/2022 at 12:59 PM, D84 said:

He looks better behind a mask. Talk about a face for radio.

That's true, I suspect that most of the audience wouldn't be able to see anyone other than Kylo Ren if he was playing Doctor Doom, though. The mask, voice, waving hands around to do Force-like things...