• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's Phase 5 rumors
1 1

501 posts in this topic

On 7/14/2023 at 8:40 AM, drotto said:

Between the writers strike, the actors strike, dropping quality, and decreased fan interests, the MCU needs a rest, even if forced. Iger is attempting to stop the bleeding finacially at Disney, and the entertainment divisions have been consistently losing money. This move makes sense. 

The best thing for the MCU may be a few year hiatus and soft reboot, and this could all be a blessing in disguise.

Totally agree!

I wish they would put out quality animated features. Maybe save some money and keep and develop a fan base. If you told me the Galactus trilogy or the kree skrull war were in development, I would be more excited about it than in any live action movie. Oh and f continuity, make things self contained. 

Edited by Mr Sneeze

On 7/14/2023 at 9:39 AM, Mr Sneeze said:

Totally agree!

I wish they would put out quality animated features. Maybe save some money and keep and develop a fan base. If you told me the Galactus trilogy or the kree skrull war were in development, I would be more excited about it than in any live action movie. Oh and f continuity, make things self contained. 

I like the idea of the interconnected world, and big evolving plots.  However, the MCU right now has completely lost sight that these movies can be small, need to tell their own stories in their own voice, and can not always just feel like a bridge to the next film.

On 7/14/2023 at 12:14 PM, drotto said:

I like the idea of the interconnected world, and big evolving plots.  However, the MCU right now has completely lost sight that these movies can be small, need to tell their own stories in their own voice, and can not always just feel like a bridge to the next film.

We all like continuity to be sure but it’s amazing how quickly it becomes a prison, stifling creativity and ultimately becoming predictable.

Movie franchises are like restaurant franchises, you don’t go for surprises.

I love a big mac as much as anybody else though.

On 7/14/2023 at 3:22 AM, Bosco685 said:

Bob Iger - or any CEO for that matter - would tell everyone dog turds taste like cotton candy if it meant they get to keep their grossly overpaid and overemphasized job. This is not the reason why people aren't watching Marvel or going to the movies.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 7/14/2023 at 2:26 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Bob Iger - or any CEO for that matter - would tell everyone dog turds taste like cotton candy if it meant they get to keep their grossly overpaid and overemphasized job. This is not the reason why people aren't watching Marvel or going to the movies.

No, it is the obvious drop in quality across the board, then insisting on pushing out vast quantities of bad quality. If it was good, I would be watching every second and begging for more.

On 7/14/2023 at 12:39 PM, drotto said:

No, it is the obvious drop in quality across the board, then insisting on pushing out vast quantities of bad quality. If it was good, I would be watching every second and begging for more.

Agreed. As I’ve said in other threads - I have re-discovered Agents of Shield, which is really great. And cancelled. I’m more interested in watching that than new stuff. The problem is definitely that the new stuff sucks - but Mr. Millions CEO can’t say anything like that or risk losing his corporate jet privileges.

Disney diluted audience interest & lost money by making too much product? Make less. Fire some writers & actors. Increase the pay for the leftovers. All problems solved.

On 7/14/2023 at 8:45 PM, thegiftedone45 said:

I'd also add make shows about characters people care about (Punisher, Luke Cage, etc.)

I think it is becoming very clear that the MCU made a big mistake looking for gold in lower and lower tier characters, and instead should have pushed much harder to get the Fantastic Four and the X-Men into the MCU.  So with all the strikes and current roadmaps, we are looking at 4 or 5 years, maybe more till we get make to more bankable characters? What will be left of the MCU at that point?

On 7/14/2023 at 5:53 PM, drotto said:

I think it is becoming very clear that the MCU made a big mistake looking for gold in lower and lower tier characters, and instead should have pushed much harder to get the Fantastic Four and the X-Men into the MCU.  So with all the strikes and current roadmaps, we are looking at 4 or 5 years, maybe more till we get make to more bankable characters? What will be left of the MCU at that point?

I do not think the problem is necessarily the characters so much as the stories. Give us smaller stories that make us care about the characters. Build to the giant spectacular crossovers. And please, please, stop doing crossovers until we are invested in the characters. Not every movie needs a plethora of other heroes which just dilutes the story and balloons the runtime. And all this should be done with a reasonable budget. A few $400-$500 million dollar movies is what they should be shooting for and they should be budgeted accordingly.

On 7/15/2023 at 10:21 AM, rjrjr said:

I do not think the problem is necessarily the characters so much as the stories. Give us smaller stories that make us care about the characters. Build to the giant spectacular crossovers. And please, please, stop doing crossovers until we are invested in the characters. Not every movie needs a plethora of other heroes which just dilutes the story and balloons the runtime. And all this should be done with a reasonable budget. A few $400-$500 million dollar movies is what they should be shooting for and they should be budgeted accordingly.

To make $400 to $500 million movies easily profitable they need to be getting budgets down into the $125M to $150M range.  I am not sure the current group of creators is capable or willing to do this.

On 7/15/2023 at 7:34 AM, drotto said:

To make $400 to $500 million movies easily profitable they need to be getting budgets down into the $125M to $150M range.  I am not sure the current group of creators is capable or willing to do this.

I agree, but it looks like at least one studio head, Eiger at Disney, realizes the budgets are unsustainable. Disney got bit hard this year by the ballooning budgets.

it’s ironic Eiger would champion scaling down budgets when he helped oust Ike Perlmutter from his position in Marvel. Feige has straight out said we would never have gotten Civil War under Perlmutter bc he wanted Marvel to reign in budgets and make cheaper small scale movies like the first Ant Man. 

On 7/15/2023 at 10:07 AM, Cman429 said:

it’s ironic Eiger would champion scaling down budgets when he helped oust Ike Perlmutter from his position in Marvel. Feige has straight out said we would never have gotten Civil War under Perlmutter bc he wanted Marvel to reign in budgets and make cheaper small scale movies like the first Ant Man. 

Ike Perlmutter claimed it was because of his stance on budgets but it was much bigger than that.

Edited by rjrjr

On 7/15/2023 at 1:17 PM, rjrjr said:

Eiger did not oust Perlmutter because of his stance on budgets. Permutter was ousted because he was trying to take over Disney from within. Ike Perlmutter claimed it was because of his stance on budgets but it was much bigger than that.

If things do not start improving fast, Perlmutter may again try and take over Disney from the outside.  He is still a major stock holder, and a proxy battle almost started earlier this year, but parties were temporarily made happy.  One of the stipulations of not doing this was the stock dividend would restart within about 1 years time. Not sure Disney has the funds to restart it by then.

On 7/15/2023 at 10:20 AM, drotto said:

If things do not start improving fast, Perlmutter may again try and take over Disney from the outside.  He is still a major stock holder, and a proxy battle almost started earlier this year, but parties were temporarily made happy.  One of the stipulations of not doing this was the stock dividend would restart within about 1 years time. Not sure Disney has the funds to restart it by then.

Drotto, I changed my post because I confused the timeline on his ouster with this year’s attempted takeover. Thanks for jogging my memory.

On 7/15/2023 at 1:26 PM, rjrjr said:

Drotto, I changed my post because I confused the timeline on his ouster with this year’s attempted takeover. Thanks for jogging my memory.

It is true that he was ousted from a "consulting" role for Marvel Studios a few years back when went up against Iger and Feige and lost.  He was at that time the one against the ballooning budgets, and other character initiatives. 

As a Disney stock holder (which I acquired from my purchase of Marvel stock many years ago), I have faith Eiger will fix things. Everything he announced this week are encouraging. 

Scaling back the output from Marvel and Lucasfilm is a step in the right direction.

I feel for the Hollywood writers. They are striking at the worst time with box office disappointment after box office disappointment. I won’t be surprised if this strike goes for a few months.

It will be interesting to see the Marvel roadmap in 6 months.

Edited by rjrjr