• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's Phase 5 rumors
1 1

501 posts in this topic

On an episode of The Hot Mic podcast, insider Jeff Sneider claimed that Feige is looking to adjust his hiring strategy and bring in already established filmmakers and creatives to helm the MCU's projects. Specifically, Sneider noted, "Feige does want to hire more established talent behind the camera." This rumor has not been officially confirmed by Marvel or Disney.

Sneider's comments echo previous reports made in June 2022 by insider and Deadline reporter Justin Kroll that claimed Feige and Marvel Studios were eyeing big-name directors for Fantastic Four. This decision was reportedly influenced by the success of director Sam Raimi after Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

"While no names have surfaced, multiple sources say while it's a large mix of candidates, Feige and company are taking a lot of shots at some big names," Kroll wrote at the time. "One source close to [the] process [said], 'Kevin doesn't want [to] oversee [the] entire shoot, and after not having to worry about that with Raimi, he is very game [for the] same outcome with this shoot.'" At the time, Marvel Studios was looking to replace Jon Watts as the director of Fantastic Four, a role that would later be filled by WandaVision's Matt Shakman.

On 4/17/2023 at 2:51 PM, drotto said:

Is something finally starting to sink in?

More BS rumors. Russo Bros had never made a major feature before Winter Soldier. Quantumania director Peyton Reed has been making movies for decades. Marvel Studios has had more success with less experienced filmmakers. Let me guess, did these rumors come from that leaker extraordinaire Jeff Schneider again? 

On 4/17/2023 at 4:11 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

More BS rumors. Russo Bros had never made a major feature before Winter Soldier. Quantumania director Peyton Reed has been making movies for decades. Marvel Studios has had more success with less experienced filmmakers. Let me guess, did these rumors come from that leaker extraordinaire Jeff Schneider again? 

Talking more about the writers room.  We have had enough of Rick and Morty writers, or others with like 2 TV episodes in their IMBD. For instance why has the QM main writer (that went well)  who only had writen a for RaM, been tapped again to write Kang Dynasty?  

Also why so defensive, if Feige is starting to think they may need to shake up the creative teams? It is clear that things are not quite working right now.

On 4/17/2023 at 5:36 PM, drotto said:

Talking more about the writers room.  We have had enough of Rick and Morty writers, or others with like 2 TV episodes in their IMBD. For instance why has the QM main writer (that went well)  who only had writen a for RaM, been tapped again to write Kang Dynasty?  

Also why so defensive, if Feige is starting to think they may need to shake up the creative teams? It is clear that things are not quite working right now.

I think this could be a good thing to freshen up the go-forward plan by focusing on the stories and less about forcing other elements into the -script which can disrupt the final results.

Justin Kroll (Deadline) and others are noting this. Not just one source.

On 4/18/2023 at 9:30 AM, TupennyConan said:

There've been so many jumping off points since Black Widow. Disney has been prolific with quality jumping off points.  

Another possible big flashing red light is the projected opening weekend for Guardians 3 is dropping.  Now projects having it coming in at around $130 million, which is below Guardians 2's $145 million. So, we could at looking at another film underperforming, and this was supposed to be the safe bet.

Now, I understand the possible headwinds against this film; last Gunn, last for this team, worst MCU coattails to date in QM. This was just the only MCU film this year that had even a remote shot at $1 billion.  I thought it would easily hit the $800 plus range. Now could we see this in the $700's, or even the 600?

On 4/18/2023 at 11:06 AM, drotto said:

Another possible big flashing red light is the projected opening weekend for Guardians 3 is dropping.  Now projects having it coming in at around $130 million, which is below Guardians 2's $145 million. So, we could at looking at another film underperforming, and this was supposed to be the safe bet.

Now, I understand the possible headwinds against this film; last Gunn, last for this team, worst MCU coattails to date in QM. This was just the only MCU film this year that had even a remote shot at $1 billion.  I thought it would easily hit the $800 plus range. Now could we see this in the $700's, or even the 600?

I have no doubt that Guardians 3 will make money, but like you, I feel as if $1 Billion is out the window.  I'm leaning into somewhere in the $700s.

On 4/18/2023 at 11:06 AM, drotto said:

I'm pretty sure the only Gunn films I've seen have been GOTG1 & 2 & the holiday special.

GOTG1 might be my fav MCU film. Ironically, its tone helped send the MCU into its eventual death spiral. GOTG2 was a waste of time. The holiday special was so so.

There's no reason to think 3 will be a winner at this point.    

On 4/18/2023 at 11:10 AM, media_junkie said:

I have no doubt that Guardians 3 will make money, but like you, I feel as if $1 Billion is out the window.  I'm leaning into somewhere in the $700s.

Going back and looking, Guardians 1 did $774 million at box office and Guadians 2 did $863 million.  The last one came out in 2017 (so 6 years ago) in a much different movie climate.  I'm going to say that Guardians 3 does not beat Guardians 1 $774, no way it gets to $863.

Will be interesting to see how much they spent to make Guardians 3.  If they spent $250 million like they have been the last few Marvel movies then at best this film is going to break even to showing a slight profit.

Hard to gauge until we start seeing some valid reviews since in this movie climate it really comes down to how good the movie is and the word of mouth.  It looks good from the previews but I've been tricked before.  If Guardians fails to impress, then comic fatigue is worse than I thought and Marvel better change course sooner than later or else things could get ugly quickly.

Edited by 1Cool

On 4/18/2023 at 9:25 AM, drotto said:

Think they also should start viewing these as stand alone movies again.  Right now every film feels like the bridge to the next film and not it's own thing. That is hurting these movies.  If a fan misses a film, or does not like a film, or is not interested in one, it give them a jumping off point.  Once the habit is broken it is easier not to come back.  

This also ties into the mistake of making the D+ shows required viewing.  Just not enough people are watching these, again providing a jumping off point.  So now going back to watch for a film, feels like homework. The Marvels is really going to put this to the test with 2 of the 3 main characters getting their start in streaming.

This, this and this.

If GotG V3 fails, I think that the only way they could make it work would be to retcon everything post-Endgame other than the Spider-Man movies. Use Kang to kill everyone we've seen since then, and set it up so that this new universe tells the tale of Kang's defeat. Or keep screwing it up as you go along. Idk.

On 4/18/2023 at 8:19 AM, media_junkie said:

Going back and looking, Guardians 1 did $774 million at box office and Guadians 2 did $863 million.  The last one came out in 2017 (so 6 years ago) in a much different movie climate.  I'm going to say that Guardians 3 does not beat Guardians 1 $774, no way it gets to $863.

Will be interesting to see how much they spent to make Guardians 3.  If they spent $250 million like they have been the last few Marvel movies then at best this film is going to break even to showing a slight profit.

one thing in its favor that will skew the number is average ticket prices up 20%+ since 2017