• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's Phase 5 rumors
1 1

501 posts in this topic

A new report suggests audiences can expect to see fewer television shows and films set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, owing to changes Marvel Studios is supposedly making to its targets.

According to Above the Line's Jeff Snieder, as reported by The Direct, "Marvel's target output has been reduced... I'm told that the target output has been reduced from four shows and four movies a year to two shows and three movies a year. And of course that's malleable. You could get one on either side of that, or whatever."

Next up in the iconic superhero franchise is filmmaker James Gunn's last project in the MCU, following his appointment as co-CEO at Warner Bros. Discovery's DC Studios. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is set to conclude the adventures of the titular team and bid farewell to some of the MCU's biggest names, such as actor Dave Bautista, who has expressed a desire to move on from superhero films and venture into more dramatic roles.

Following this, the MCU will see the release of Secret Invasion, which will see the return of Nick Fury, who last appeared in Spider-Man: Far From Home, back in 2019. The film revealed that the former director of S.H.I.E.L.D. had left Earth and has been replaced by a skrull by the name of Talos. Fury's current mission has been left unknown.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is set to be released on May 5. Secret Invasion will be released on Disney+ on June 21.

On 3/30/2023 at 5:25 PM, drotto said:

Marvel Entertainment handled the movies till 2015, that is when it was split into Marvel Entertainment and Marvel Studios.  Feige took control of the studio division, and gained full control of the movies and shows.  Perlmutter had a fair amount of influence on the MCU to that point, and had say in everything planned to the end of Phase 3. He was certainly more influential in Phase 1 and Phase 2.  It was not till Phase 4 where Perlmutter had zero influence on decisions being made.

With that said he is still a major Disney stock holder, and because of that could still weild significant power on the investor side. He can not make any creative decisions now.  A mad Perlmutter could kickstart a new push with Peltz to influence the board. It is a tricky situation.

when they went away from taking ideas from some of their better comic writers is when the stories began to fail

what are any of the the new movies based on? example antman 3

On 4/3/2023 at 11:45 AM, jsilverjanet said:

when they went away from taking ideas from some of their better comic writers is when the stories began to fail

what are any of the the new movies based on? example antman 3

The comics rally have become just very lose suggestions.  For instance, the trailer just dropped for Secrete Invasion.  Marvel says there are few if any people with superpowers in it. Umm, OK?  The original story was heroes being replaced, and infiltrating in all levels of the worlds givernments. The Skrull Queen and Spider-Woman were key components. The MCU series is about Furry, and the Skrulls known to be hiding on Earth, and I guess infiltrating governments. So basically, it will be Secrete Invasion in name only, and is really just a Spy show about Furry with some Scifi elements. (shrug)

On 4/3/2023 at 1:53 PM, drotto said:

The comics rally have become just very lose suggestions.  For instance, the trailer just dropped for Secrete Invasion.  Marvel says there are few if any people with superpowers in it. Umm, OK?  The original story was heroes being replaced, and infiltrating in all levels of the worlds givernments. The Skrull Queen and Spider-Woman were key components. The MCU series is about Furry, and the Skrulls known to be hiding on Earth, and I guess infiltrating governments. So basically, it will be Secrete Invasion in name only, and is really just a Spy show about Furry with some Scifi elements. (shrug)

We haven’t seen a full appearance of present-day Nick Furry since Captain America Winter Soldier, where the fall of SHIELD had life implications for both Furry and Cap. For Steve Rogers, he lost his faith in institutions, an outlook that played out in Civil War and ended the Avengers. For Furry, he became a rogue soldier, but we never really saw the implications played out except in cameo bits. It looks like Secrete Invasion is a continuation of Furry’s story from Winter Soldier.

On 4/4/2023 at 10:45 PM, drotto said:

This was far more of a comment on how the MCU does not follow the comics at all at this point, and the original Secrete Invasion was a good story.  None of the elements necessary to tell that story really exist in the MCU, and too many of the characters are missing. It is yet another case were the writers have very superficially taken a few elements from the original story, and seem to have crafted one that is at least 80% new. For those that love the comics and loved the original story, it is this type of disregard for the source material that gets old. They are shamelessly trying to pluck member berries and nostalgia (even if the story is newer), and comes across as inauthentic. I have no really clue what this is really going to be about. I want it to be good because SLJ has been very good in the MCU thus far. But with the current writing problems at Marvel, I am concerned  in their ability to rewrite the story. 

The MCU mishmashes stories from the comics to make something new, which I like. If the movies were just exact word for word live action versions of the comic book story, I think I’d find that boring. Avengers Infinity War/Endgame bore little resemblance to the Infinity Gauntlet comic, and it was great. There’s a surprise and freshness to it when they craft a new story (loosely based on the source material).

One thing I loved about the Captain Marvel movie was that they took so much from the comics, like the secret military base, Mar-Vell’s Dr Lawson identity, the Skrull mind probe, the Kree colors, the Kree explosion that gives Carol her powers, her amnesia, her Binary powers, and the Kelly Sue Deconnick story elements, and mashed it together to give us a new updated story. Most of the MCU movies are this hybrid of many comics stories into one new story.

Secrete Invasion seems to be two parts the original event series, but also one part the great Meet the Skrulls limited series, a solo Furry story, whatever else, and something new. I’m looking forward to it.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

I think the Return of the Decimated makes it difficult because they inverted the logic from the comics. In the comics, everyone disappears and then they go after Thanos to bring them back. They have the disadvantage of not knowing 'why' it happened, but the advantage of knowing 'what' happened and the consequences. In this reverse of narratives where the heroes and Earth can't really contemplate the consequences of The Decimation, they're playing catch-up IRL to make logical sense of the fictional repercussions.

Then introduce all of the producers, directors, and writers who want their say in it. Convolution achieved.

On 4/3/2023 at 1:53 PM, drotto said:

Therein might lie some problems for the MCU moving forward. It can be a challenge to take an existing story people know and adapt enough to make it enjoyable. People will complain if you just recreate the same story, and if you deviate too far (and call it something it barely resembles) similar criticism occurs. It is a fine line that I feel Marvel is having a harder time navigating now....

Edited by comicginger1789

On 4/5/2023 at 12:05 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Always has, for me. I think it started with Age of Ultron. Don't you mean 1 Week of Ultron?

Right? Like call it Avenger: Rise of Ultron...and if you want to reference bits from Age of, do it. Or tell your unique story and leave the door open for a future actual adaptation closer to the actual events in Age of Ultron.

I love where you guys are going with that. The Age of Ultron wasn't an age at all.

To piggy back on that, I think a radical and extremely engaging, upset the applecart, direction they can go in, is this:

Let's step away from what has been done before, and tell the same old tale, that Fox has done. Instead, for the next 2 PHASES of their entire movie structure, so, 10 movies or more, we should simply 

AoA.jpg

Edited by D2
For Dramatic Effect

Another problem that I see is a peak much too soon. Don't get me wrong, the build up to Thanos was great. And maybe it had to be done that way to get the MCU where it is and to establish itself. But after a villain like Thanos, people expect a lot. Forgive me but Kang just isn't the guy I envision for that. Or at least the approach and story they have been telling so far is not exciting me at all. To the point where I have stopped watching because it is more of a time consuming endeavour than something I enjoy....which is sad but the truth. 

I think they could still get things back on track, now that the prospect of the X-Men and FF are poised to eventually appear, I could get pulled back in. I also think this current phase has been too much too fast.

Phase 2 had 6 movies over 2 years (3 a year, which I liked)

Phase 3 had 11 movies over 3 years (almost 4 per year now)

Phase 4 had 7 movies over 1.25 years and also 8 shows (which altogether as run times, most were like watching 2 movies each)

Now I know COVID wreaked havoc on some of that but Marvel was still ramping it up regardless. I think the sweet spot was Phase 3....and that should mean ALL content. Movies every couple months and shows too is just too much. I am content with a spring show, a fall show and 2-3 movies sprinkled in between and it sounds like that is the plan so fingers crossed I can motivate myself to get back in. As someone who has read all the show spoilers and such I don't feel the need to necessarily watch everything I have missed either.

Edited by comicginger1789

On 4/5/2023 at 12:45 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Another problem that I see is a peak much too soon. Don't get me wrong, the build up to Thanos was great. And maybe it had to be done that way to get the MCU where it is and to establish itself. But after a villain like Thanos, people expect a lot. Forgive me but Kang just isn't the guy I envision for that. Or at least the approach and story they have been telling so far is not exciting me at all. To the point where I have stopped watching because it is more of a time consuming endeavour than something I enjoy....which is sad but the truth. 

I think they could still get things back on track, now that the prospect of the X-Men and FF are poised to eventually appear, I could get pulled back in. I also think this current phase has been too much too fast.

Phase 2 had 6 movies over 2 years (3 a year, which I liked)

Phase 3 had 11 movies over 3 years (almost 4 per year now)

Phase 4 had 7 movies over 1.25 years and also 8 shows (which altogether as run times, most were like watching 2 movies each)

Now I know COVID wreaked havoc on some of that but Marvel was still ramping it up regardless. I think the sweet spot was Phase 3....and that should mean ALL content. Movies every couple months and shows too is just too much. I am content with a spring show, a fall show and 2-3 movies sprinkled in between and it sounds like that is the plan so fingers crossed I can motivate myself to get back in. As someone who has read all the show spoilers and such I don't feel the need to necessarily watch everything I have missed either.

As others have mentioned, thr MCU should have followed the more traditional comic model after a big event, GO SMALL. Go back to street level stuff, go back to smaller more personal stories.  This all came to a head with QM.  Ant-man solo is a small scale hero, so plugging him into a world ending event, did not fit the character.  This was compounded by the last 4  movies all being world ending events at some level.  

They kept trying to go bigger and bigger, but it was hard to be bigger than Thanos. So even with, it's the end of the world again, maybe!!  The audiences shrugged.  So if they had gone small and gotten people to invest in characters again, smaller casts, personal stories, when the world was going to end again, people would have cared.

They also need to get away from streaming shows being so integral.  These should be good side stories, but need to be written as skippable.  The way Secret Invasion is set up, this again going ro be an issue.  In addition, these shows have TINY audiences in comparison to the movies.