• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black CAT club (Cerebus1, Albedo 2, TMNT1)
7 7

895 posts in this topic

Looking at a map of Ontario, Preney Print is only a 3 hour drive to Kitchener-Waterloo where Dave and Harry lived.  Given the excitement of printing their first issue and having little cash for shipping, it’s conceivable Harry got in his car and drove to pick them up. I would have !  So damage from boxing makes sense.  Even just lax handling at the printer would be enough   They weren’t in the comics business, so there would be no hands on expertise, and prob gave two sheets for this one off low rent job.  Didn’t the industry switch from Diamond to the new guys last summer by the new comics distributors also damage books?

Edited by Aman619

On 2/12/2022 at 3:13 PM, SuperBird said:

As to CGC, no clue. But I have never seen a spine-damaged Cerebus 1 get a grade that seemed higher than it should have been. 

And yet we get the early Marvel keys with all of that fugly looking eye gouging Marvel chipping or some of the Promise Collection books with all of the rat chewed bitten off corners which tend to be given pretty much a free pass and hence all seem to grade much higher than they should have been. :frustrated:  :censored:

No real surprise though I guess, as it's all really about maximizing the top and bottom lines for the CCG ownership at the time.  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

@Aman619I've very much enjoyed your reminiscence, thanks so much for sharing! Cerebus was a huge book for me as a kid and young man. I share your melancholy about how it all wrapped up. A book that meant so much to me in the early years eventually became an endurance test that I was determined to see to the bitter end. I always enjoyed the art (Dave stayed a strong cartoonist until the end, and Gerhard's stuff was always so beautiful), but the long, slow, preachy, bizarre stories, it really became a chore to read the book. Such a shame. It's still a singular achievement, and the first half of the run is still to be praised. Jaka's Story is also where it started to come apart a bit for me, and somewhere in the depths of my parents' basement you might find my "I Survived Jaka's Story" t-shirt, buried beneath some rags!

On 2/16/2022 at 3:07 PM, F For Fake said:

@Aman619I've very much enjoyed your reminiscence, thanks so much for sharing! Cerebus was a huge book for me as a kid and young man. I share your melancholy about how it all wrapped up. A book that meant so much to me in the early years eventually became an endurance test that I was determined to see to the bitter end. I always enjoyed the art (Dave stayed a strong cartoonist until the end, and Gerhard's stuff was always so beautiful), but the long, slow, preachy, bizarre stories, it really became a chore to read the book. Such a shame. It's still a singular achievement, and the first half of the run is still to be praised. Jaka's Story is also where it started to come apart a bit for me, and somewhere in the depths of my parents' basement you might find my "I Survived Jaka's Story" t-shirt, buried beneath some rags!

haha  Id love to see it!

On 2/16/2022 at 6:48 PM, Aman619 said:

wasn't it "Zeb's dead" from Pulp Fiction?

I was thinking of the green blubber ball, maybe that was something else lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 2/16/2022 at 7:35 PM, Aman619 said:

hey, found it!

R.1605f307cd17233fa06f076e3d97a8ad.jpeg

Yup, that's it! I remember buying it on clearance at my local comic shop, wearing it to school, and endlessly having to explain it to my friends. that was a couple of decades and as well as a couple of shirt sizes ago, so my Dad probably long since cut it up into rags. Oh well. It was fun at the time!