• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black CAT club (Cerebus1, Albedo 2, TMNT1)
7 7

895 posts in this topic

On 2/17/2022 at 8:44 AM, F For Fake said:

Yup, that's it! I remember buying it on clearance at my local comic shop, wearing it to school, and endlessly having to explain it to my friends. that was a couple of decades and as well as a couple of shirt sizes ago, so my Dad probably long since cut it up into rags. Oh well. It was fun at the time!

While I didn't like Jaka's Story as a monthly, when I reread it as a trade it became one of my favorite storylines. 

On 2/17/2022 at 9:09 AM, SuperBird said:

While I didn't like Jaka's Story as a monthly, when I reread it as a trade it became one of my favorite storylines. 

That's a good point, I really should revisit that story, as well as the rest. It's been a while. I sold my telephone books off quite some time ago, I need to pick them up again and give the whole thing another spin.

pretty good write up they gave it!

When fans of comics and graphic novels reach for works to show doubting Thomases the dizzying heights which the art form can reach, one of the titles that invariably comes up is Dave Sim's extraordinary, mammoth work of fantasy, satire, and adventure. By turns endearing, enraging, hilarious, horrifying, and never less than brilliant, this idiosyncratic creation had its genesis in this humble, gritty debut issue, whose painfully small print run wasn't so much released as set loose, making original copies demand insane sums. Originally conceived as a cartoonish parody of Barry Windsor-Smith's then-recent Conan run, it eventually became one of comics' most singular and personal of visions, running for over a quarter of a century and comprising 300 gorgeous issues, all drawn and written by Sim, one of the art form's few acknowledged geniuses and an artist both revered and controversial in equal measure. This debut issue is one of the most important comics ever published.

On 2/18/2022 at 1:16 PM, Aman619 said:

Definitely much better than their usual description writeup which is pretty much this:  :p

Title & issue number:  xxxxxxxxx

CGC Grade:   x.x

End of description writeup as they pretty much seemingly expect the book to sell itself just based upon the book itself and condition grade.  :facepalm:

On 2/18/2022 at 4:16 PM, Aman619 said:

agreed.  well written.

This was a nice writeup on an  ebay listing that sold 2 days ago.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334332534200?hash=item4dd7c59db8:g:GMMAAOSw1IFiAUej

“In 1977, Cerebus #1 quietly launched the independent comics boom. Its titular character was an anthropomorphic aardvark created by Dave Sim, who wrote and drew all 300 issues until its premeditated conclusion in 2004. Sim was the plotter, scripter, and artist, though he later conceded backgrounds to a fellow Canadian known simply as Gerhard. Cerebus #1 cost one dollar, which was expensive in the time of 35-cent comics. Cerebus — also known as Cerebus the Aardvark — was a self-publishing venture initially handled by Sim and girlfriend-partner Denise Loubert, who later became his wife. His name was the result of Loubert misspelling Cerberus, the three-headed dog of Greek mythology. The couple's ensuing co-op was dubbed Aardvark-Vanaheim, Inc. It was so named because neither Sim nor Loubert would relent on his/her respective proposed title for the company. The company's express purpose was to publish Cerebus on a semi-regular basis.

With a print run of only 2000, Cerebus #1 was an instant rarity, a fact that has certainly contributed to the issue being listed among Overstreet's Top 10 Bronze Age Comics, a list otherwise almost completely dominated by superhero titles. Besides signaling the advent of indie comics publishing, Cerebus heralded a revival of the "funny animal" genre, something that Sim never intended. The fact that Cerebus was an aardvark that talked and walked upright was the only similarity to later knockoffs and inferior imitations. The early issues did parody Robert E. Howard's Conan, but the stories would later follow a much more serious slant.”

Edited by Wolverinex

On 2/18/2022 at 9:28 PM, PeterPark said:

cheap!!

On 2/17/2022 at 9:57 AM, SuperBird said:

While we're on the topic, someone should really buy this, a 7.0 for $5k? 

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/944336

two sales recently.

4.0 sold for $3800

7.0 sold for $7500.

I will be surprised if the comiclink copy remains...

20220218_220335.jpg

EDIT Cartoon just came out as well.

https://watch.plex.tv/movie/the-absurd-surreal-metaphysical-and-fractured-destiny-of-cerebus-the-aardvark

Edited by Wolverinex

Not technically black CAT, but I picked up a few Nexus 1 signed and limited editions last week. These were limited to 500 copies, triple signed by Baron, Rude and Gulacy, with an exclusive print included. I haven’t seen one for sale since the 80s, so jumped on them. Not mint condition, but beggars and choosers, etc. 

If you've never read Nexus, issues 1-50 are truly amazing. After that, YMMV. It's still being published today, making it one of the longest running indy comics. 

66A8AF0E-DE63-4F43-A11A-89F50E4F827F.jpeg

A338435A-EA54-4ED3-9CF8-C7914F4F1F06.jpeg

56A83B5E-DADE-4F4C-997B-336C7C5E5413.jpeg

Edited by SuperBird

On 2/23/2022 at 3:04 PM, SuperBird said:

Not technically black CAT, but I picked up a few Nexus 1 signed and limited editions last week. These were limited to 500 copies, triple signed by Baron, Rude and Gulacy, with an exclusive print included. I haven’t seen one for sale since the 80s, so jumped on them. Not mint condition, but beggars and choosers, etc. 

If you've never read Nexus, issues 1-50 are truly amazing. After that, YMMV. It's still being published today, making it one of the longest running indy comics. 

Sweet! Nice finds. Are they good reads?

I have had this on my backburner for a very long time. Nexus is a character I always wanted to track down and learn more about

Coooool. Nexus rules. The Dude abides.