• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's BLUE BEETLE movie starring Xolo Mariduena (2023)
3 3

264 posts in this topic

On 7/21/2023 at 9:19 AM, Artboy99 said:

I watched the trailer for this film, and I am not sure which market it is aimed at but I know it isn't for me. 

Wahhhhh.jpg

I thought this was the next film we were going to for our comic nerds movie night with the guys?

On 7/21/2023 at 11:57 AM, kimik said:

I thought this was the next film we were going to for our comic nerds movie night with the guys?

I am all for a get together, have some food, talk comics and enjoy the company of friends. Not sure this movie needs to be the reason, do you actually want to see it?

On 7/21/2023 at 1:06 PM, Artboy99 said:

I am all for a get together, have some food, talk comics and enjoy the company of friends. Not sure this movie needs to be the reason, do you actually want to see it?

Sure. We did see Ant-Man 3 after all. It can't possibly be worse than that.

On 7/26/2023 at 3:59 AM, Bosco685 said:

F175qn2XgAAWpbl.thumb.jpeg.69692db3670199bee485a32842a2ffb5.jpeg

Interesting. Is this teasing that they will be introducing the Yellow and Pink Power Rangers, er Beetles, as well? 

If yes, then my small Blue Beetle Graduation Day spec may actually pay off. :wishluck:

On 7/28/2023 at 5:16 PM, kimik said:

Interesting. Is this teasing that they will be introducing the Yellow and Pink Power Rangers, er Beetles, as well? 

If yes, then my small Blue Beetle Graduation Day spec may actually pay off. :wishluck:

Jaime Reyes has been around since 2006, and in pretty much the same suit design throughout the years.

Jaime_Reyes_Blue_Beetle09.thumb.jpg.29e222789c44b95d839382eff9d3daf6.jpg

Not sure why Iron Man or the Power Rangers have been coming up.

On 7/28/2023 at 4:40 PM, Bosco685 said:

Not sure why Iron Man or the Power Rangers have been coming up.

I am not sure if you have seen/read it, but the reason I mention it is that in the recent Blue Beetle Graduation Day mini they fully introduced the Yellow and Green Beetles, as well as the spacecraft for the Purple and Pink scarabs. Sounds similar to the Power Rangers now. I am not questioning Reyes as the newest Blue Beetle as that happened a while back, but the "scarab team" that was recently introduced does seem like a knock off of the Rangers. Or, at the least, the Geoff Johns GL run where he introduced Yellow, Orange, Red, Pink and Purple Lanterns in the mid 00s.

When it came to designing Jaime’s iconic costume, the crew revisited his first appearance in Infinite Crisis #3  — “a very bold look,” as Soto called it — as well as the Injustice games and the beloved Young Justice and Batman: The Brave and the Bold cartoons. One of the biggest challenges was crafting a full-face mask that could also emote. “One of the main issues was the mouth; showing the mouth just takes away the armored aspect of it.” To come up with their own design for the mask and suit, they merged the notion of organic alien tech and insectoid features. Designed by Mayes C. Rubeo and the team from Nine B collective, the suit is “very practical,” Soto explains. “We didn’t have the biggest budget in the world, but doing it like this really does help. And you get a very cool suit!” 

One of the unique powers that Khaji and the Blue Beetle suit offer Jaime is the power to create constructs from nothing but his imagination, leading to one of the most internet-breaking moments in the trailer. As Jaime gets into a fighting stance, he manifests a massive buster sword; it was a moment sparked by one of Soto’s lifelong loves.

“I’ve always wanted to create something I would enjoy,” he shares. “If I had Jaime’s powers, why would I limit myself? Why would I limit my imagination? I have the opportunity to create something iconic. As a Latino, I embrace anime; I grew up watching anime. I grew up watching that sword. I always wanted to wield it, and even if I can’t, I’m wielding it vicariously through Blue Beetle.” 

On 7/29/2023 at 9:50 PM, Bosco685 said:

Let's be VERY clear: there was NOTHING 'Internet-breaking' about Blue Beetle anything. If it broke anyone's internet, it was one guys, and he just went to the local Starbucks for free WiFi, no drama. 

On 8/1/2023 at 5:10 PM, paperheart said:

New WB strategy: Blue Beetle review embargo lifts Sept 1, two weeks after release date

That wouldn't surprise me.

What was the thought process choosing this character for a big $$$$ movie?

Beside the Charlton Comics Blue Beetle - hadn't heard of this guy.

I don't know which demographic they hope to attract - just seems like a generic teen production with the handsome lead guy.

It's not like the movie marketplace is short of teenage targeted films, so I have no idea why they chose to go with this.

What's the loss potential on this?

$100m?

$200m?

I'd rather they (Comic Movie makers)  just released 2 really really good movies a year, rather than 5 or 6 bad ones.

Edited by Beige