• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's BLUE BEETLE movie starring Xolo Mariduena (2023)
3 3

264 posts in this topic

On 4/3/2023 at 1:37 PM, jsilverjanet said:

looks fun

Sounds like some are not as familiar with the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle. Yet this very much comes across even like the Young Justice interpretation, and even Smallville brief appearance.

Oh well. Not my problem. Some will do anything to trash what they do not understand.

On 4/3/2023 at 12:51 PM, Bosco685 said:

Oh well. Not my problem. Some will do anything to trash what they do not understand.

I'm familiar with the character from some of the animated movies

I think as soon as people see the DC logo they get turned off

can't help them

On 4/3/2023 at 12:25 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Looks terribly mediocre, like all of DC lately.

You are being alot nicer than I was when I saw that trailer.  There was nothing about it that made me want to see the movie, or even see a better trailer.  I think this one does about as well as Shazam 2 did.

On 4/3/2023 at 2:51 PM, media_junkie said:

You are being alot nicer than I was when I saw that trailer.  There was nothing about it that made me want to see the movie, or even see a better trailer.  I think this one does about as well as Shazam 2 did.

Funny my wife and daughter who hate comic book movies told me they would go see it.

The outfit looks like Yellowjacket from Ant-Man (or maybe the Yellowjacket outfit looks like Blue Beetle) combined with some of the aspects of the Stark upgrade of Spider-Man's costume, including the AI voice.  It's on our master list of movies we "might" want to see.

The trailer doesn't look bad to me but it doesn't really stand out.  I think with all of the superhero origin stories we've gotten this kind of thing so much now that's really hard to stand out.  I do think it will have decent comedy but I'm just hoping we aren't going the Thor or Shazam style of nothing but comedy from him.  I know in the later Jamie Reyes adaptations the Beetle is always ready to try to fight or annihilate something (makes for some funny dialogue between the two) but it doesn't seem to be the case in this trailer.  I'm guessing they didn't want to be called a Venom rip off or something, but I hope we get a couple of interactions like that in the movie.

On 4/3/2023 at 6:51 PM, thegiftedone45 said:

The trailer doesn't look bad to me but it doesn't really stand out.  I think with all of the superhero origin stories we've gotten this kind of thing so much now that's really hard to stand out.  I do think it will have decent comedy but I'm just hoping we aren't going the Thor or Shazam style of nothing but comedy from him.  I know in the later Jamie Reyes adaptations the Beetle is always ready to try to fight or annihilate something (makes for some funny dialogue between the two) but it doesn't seem to be the case in this trailer.  I'm guessing they didn't want to be called a Venom rip off or something, but I hope we get a couple of interactions like that in the movie.

Good point about the origins.  Hopefully that part will be relatively short because we have seen it before.  Also - Susan Sarandon?  Not sure whether she helps much with any "new direction."

Are people getting sick of origin stories I wonder? 

On 4/4/2023 at 10:32 AM, Cat said:

Are people getting sick of origin stories I wonder? 

Only the repetitive ones.

When we look back at the success of Infinity Saga origin stories, they're mostly re-watchable because while the formula is the same, who they are and what they can do are all different. Iron Man is an engineer, Cap is a soldier, Thor is a god, Black Panther is a king and warrior, Doctor Strange is a sorcerer, etc etc etc. The new 'origins' suck because they're brief and/or similar to what someone else can already do (but better, for no reason that the audience can deduce).