• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

There's another Tec 35 coming up on the Clink ebetter auction.

It's a CGC 3.0 EP with Slightly Brittle pages.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview.asp%3Fcode%3D2011juneEB%26pg%3D3%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%23Item_889552&id=889552

wonder how this one will fair in comparison to the EP 5.5 that just sold?

The 5.5 EP selling only at 4927 may hurt this one, and further more this one having slightly brittle PQ (while the other had OW/W) may hurt it as well. But we can all agree no matter what it won't go "cheap"

Oh boy and the staples have been replaced as well. :sick:

My guess that it will sell at $4250

$4350. :slapfight:

There may be a ceiling for restored or even slightly brittle copies, but it seems like there's also something of a floor. I'd guess that "most times" a #35 with a cover that presents that well is going to break $4K, almost regardless of its other qualities.

I agree with both of your range of estimates.

And P5, I completely agree with your reasoning of Tec 35. As I said earlier I believed (and still pretty much do) that the general going rate of a Tec 35 with a cover regardless, should be more in line with 5K. These EP are just odd balls right now and the fact that there are too so close probably hurt the rate of the former.

I think your dead on with the floor being 4K, and frankly due to the volatile nature of the book, even though sources indicate the 3.0 EP should logically sell for much lower (say a grand or so) than the 5.5 EP, I still would not be surprised (however unlikely) if the 3.0 EP somehow sold for more than the 5.5 EP - given how volatile the market is. And as Rick said that 5.5 had a poor visual appearance in person.

hm

It's already sitting at $3,101 with 12 days left. :headbang:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview.asp%3Fcode%3D2011juneEB%26pg%3D3%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%23Item_889552&id=889552

The 5.5 EP selling only at 4927 may hurt this one, and further more this one having slightly brittle PQ (while the other had OW/W) may hurt it as well. But we can all agree no matter what it won't go "cheap"

There may be a ceiling for restored or even slightly brittle copies, but it seems like there's also something of a floor. I'd guess that "most times" a #35 with a cover that presents that well is going to break $4K, almost regardless of its other qualities.

And P5, I completely agree with your reasoning of Tec 35. As I said earlier I believed (and still pretty much do) that the general going rate of a Tec 35 with a cover regardless, should be more in line with 5K. These EP are just odd balls right now and the fact that there are too so close probably hurt the rate of the former.

I think your dead on with the floor being 4K, and frankly due to the volatile nature of the book, even though sources indicate the 3.0 EP should logically sell for much lower (say a grand or so) than the 5.5 EP, I still would not be surprised (however unlikely) if the 3.0 EP somehow sold for more than the 5.5 EP - given how volatile the market is. And as Rick said that 5.5 had a poor visual appearance in person.

hm

...Now $4,103 and 10 days left. :busy:

I was looking at (or rather: admiring) the Tec27 copies in the HA sales archive and I noticed that the brown/purple colouration (on the pipes and building walls) on the front page on these books were pretty different from copy to copy (not the colour itself but the exact placement of the colour). I thought that was strange since if these books were printed in the same "run" (or from the same 'plates' or whatever) - how can such a colour divergence occur? I havent checked the other colours? I noticed similar differences on the backcover with the many small coloured commercials.

What is the "printwise" technical explanation of this divergence? Would one not expect all the books from the '1st print' to be exact alike ... (shrug)

Edited by Mr. 10%

hm

...Now $4,103 and 10 days left. :busy:

Just want to clarify one thing: the 5.5 EP looks very nice in hand ; it is (was) mine. I am very unhappy that it went for under 5K -- I was definitely expecting 6K - 7K. Oh well. But the explanation above of the volatility of Tec#35 was excellent.

Picked this up a little while ago not sure if I have posted it here but its so nice there's nothing wrong with twice :grin:

IMG_1741.jpg

WOW!

Now that's a super high grade GA gem if I ever saw one! :applause:

Well boys and girls, we've got a true entry level Tec 35 coming to auction.

a "nice" CGC 1.0 with Slight P, this will be fun to watch.

RADE8B3D2011722_13583.jpg

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dauctions%26title%3Ddetective%2Bcomics%2B35%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_898570&id=898570

What is going on this year?? Last year we only saw one Tec 35 offered publicly on auction. And this year, this is #6 to come to the market on auction! :o