• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulu's PREDATOR: PREY directed by Dan Trachtenberg (2022)
5 5

372 posts in this topic

I hold firm that the first two are better, and this enrichens the series and holds the 3rd spot, hands down

If the suspense had time to build and had they taken time to really round out the story, it would have beaten the second and possibly tied the first, no problem 

The end was too rushed 

Edited by The Meta

On 8/5/2022 at 9:37 PM, The Meta said:

I hold firm that the first two are better, and this enrichens the series and holds the 3rd spot, hands down

If the suspense had time to build and had they taken time to really round out the story, it would have beaten the second and possibly tied the first, no problem 

The end was too rushed 

I agree, the first 2 are better this is #3. It is entertaining but it does have its faults.

On 8/5/2022 at 7:51 PM, darkstar said:

It's arguably better than the first movie. 

I am sorry but I can't agree with this. Prey is a good film but it has flaws that I didn't like.

Spoiler

-She shouldn't be able to hold her own against the males of her tribe in combat. She is a tiny petite girl and would get her butt handed to her in a fight against a practiced warrior of her tribe. I would prefer if she is in the more traditional role of the female of an Indian tribe and perhaps does some learning/ practicing on the side rather than full-on rebellious 2022 "girl power".

-I also did not like how she defeats the predator with his own weapon. The predator should know how to use his own weapon and see that his targeting mask has been placed in a way that it may kill him because he could see the beams intersecting with his location. I would have preferred if the predator died when he was lured into the quicksand pit and didn't come out of it as it is a more "believable" method of her victory.

still, I was surprised by this entry into the Predator franchise and it stands firmly at #3 of best all time Predator films in my opinion, just above Aliens vs. Predator.

On 8/6/2022 at 9:06 AM, Artboy99 said:

I am sorry but I can't agree with this. Prey is a good film but it has flaws that I didn't like.

Hide contents

-She shouldn't be able to hold her own against the males of her tribe in combat. She is a tiny petite girl and would get her butt handed to her in a fight against a practiced warrior of her tribe. I would prefer if she is in the more traditional role of the female of an Indian tribe and perhaps does some learning/ practicing on the side rather than full-on rebellious 2022 "girl power".

-I also did not like how she defeats the predator with his own weapon. The predator should know how to use his own weapon and see that his targeting mask has been placed in a way that it may kill him because he could see the beams intersecting with his location. I would have preferred if the predator died when he was lured into the quicksand pit and didn't come out of it as it is a more "believable" method of her victory.

still, I was surprised by this entry into the Predator franchise and it stands firmly at #3 of best all time Predator films in my opinion, just above Aliens vs. Predator.

What's 1 and 2?

This was damn good and while the CGI was questionable at times (but mostly just some of the animals in bright daylight settings, so it was excusable for what must of have been a smaller budget) everything else made up for the faults. Acting was great, characters were well fleshed out, and the Predator put on a good show once it got going.

Overall perhaps the second best of the series (I love Predator 2 so this ties with it overall. Depending on the mood I'm in I could see judging one better than the other - for example Predator 2 looked much better thanks to the practical effects but plot wasn't as interesting and honestly the care put into this one just on its cultural/historic details was impressive enough to make it stand out)

On 8/6/2022 at 7:26 AM, Sauce Dog said:

This was damn good and while the CGI was questionable at times (but mostly just some of the animals in bright daylight settings, so it was excusable for what must of have been a smaller budget) everything else made up for the faults. Acting was great, characters were well fleshed out, and the Predator put on a good show once it got going.

Overall perhaps the second best of the series (I love Predator 2 so this ties with it overall. Depending on the mood I'm in I could see judging one better than the other - for example Predator 2 looked much better thanks to the practical effects but plot wasn't as interesting and honestly the care put into this one just on its cultural/historic details was impressive enough to make it stand out)

What I really loved about Predator 2 was that the SFX team made him extremely hard to find, which is the point, especially in the concrete jungle.

I felt they allowed the audience to see too much of this one. Its camouflage was garbage compared to the first two

I had rewatched the first two films dozens upon dozens of times, and it took me awhile to find all the scenes Predator actually makes appearances in. So easy to miss him, either moving or just standing there, watching. That and the action makes those movies so rewatchable.

That bear fight should had been much more epic than it was, the camera should had moved much further away from Naru and gave us a real show, instead of being 3rd person view for most of the movie.

I am also sick of the hand held camera shooting thats been way too popular the past decade. Bring back steady cam

Edited by The Meta

On 8/6/2022 at 10:00 AM, The Meta said:

I felt they allowed the audience to see too much of this one. Its camouflage was garbage compared to the first two

I would also perhaps liked to see less of this one initially (I don't think we needed to see him or his ship so clearly after the initial cloud decent, but I get why they had to show it), but I do love how they handled its camouflage as it is a much less advanced system that fails when interacted with (it is centuries older than the tech we saw in the original two movies after all. Made for a better way to show movement since weather, foliage, and animals around him could potentially cause breaks in the cloak) 

On 8/6/2022 at 9:09 AM, sd2416 said:

Watched it last night.  It was good but not as good as Arnold or Danny’s movie.  

This was their first trek to Earth, wasn’t it?
interested to see how the trophy exchange went down.  

Actually there is no proof this was their first outing on earth.

If you were to follow AvP (why anyone would is beyond me) their considered first foray on earth would have been around 10000 BC

On 8/6/2022 at 6:26 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Acting was great, characters were well fleshed out, and the Predator put on a good show once it got going.

Overall perhaps the second best of the series (I love Predator 2 so this ties with it overall. honestly the care put into this one just on its cultural/historic details was impressive enough to make it stand out)

+1. Was surprised how 'Prey' tied together some interesting Comanche history with French speaking Acadians (from Canada?). Nice landscapes of dense fields and forests. Still can't beat 'Predator' 1 with Ahnold's classic 'Git to the choppa!' and more bullets.

To my amazement - it's on Disney+ in Australia and has been for 2 days!

It's simply just called 'Prey'

Watching now!

I dug it - part of it gave me some Apocalypto vibes, but I liked that move too, so I was cool with it. I looked up the lead actress, and it looks like she's been working for awhile relative to her age, so it's cool she got what could be a breakout role - I thought she was bad-@$$...

On 8/6/2022 at 4:13 PM, Beige said:

To my amazement - it's on Disney+ in Australia and has been for 2 days!

It's simply just called 'Prey'

Don't understand why Disney did not do a 'Prey' major motion picture release because it is as least as good as Maverick: Top Gun as far as sequels go, and better than 'Morbius' and 'Thor: Love and Blunder.'