• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT (2021)
6 6

809 posts in this topic

Why The Book of Boba Fett Needed That Mandalorian Episode

Mando gets the request to re-team with Boba Fett and Fennect Shand at the very end of the episode and takes the job at no cost. It would have been easy to just have BoBF bring in Din Djarin's "muscle" as a crossover novelty – but instead, Star Wars seems to be building something bigger, and more significant. 

"The Return of the Mandalorian" builds a serious thematic bridge between Boba Fett and Din Djarin: one that needs to be established in the unfolding Star Wars Universe franchise. Both characters are legendary Bounty Hunters distinguished by their Mandalorian armor; at the same time, both are now "black sheep" that don't truly belong to the Mandalorian culture but still have deep ties to it.

The Mandalorian Season 2 re-introduced Boba Fett by also retconning his father, Jango Fett, into a Mandalorian warrior (not just a bounty hunter wearing the armor). The Book of Boba Fett has been exploring Boba's arc of getting a "second life" in which he is beginning to view having a family (or tribe, clan, gang, whatever...) as a serious need. However, getting that family has proven to be a hard quest. Din Djarin has also learned the value of family from his time with Grogu, and now has to rediscover his place in any kind of family, through some arduous quests and/or fights. 

On 1/26/2022 at 4:52 PM, Bosco685 said:

So it's about... get ready for it... you know I'm gonna do it.... c'mon.... 

Spoiler

FAMILY !

Star-Wars-Battlefront-2-Mod-Vin-Diesel.thumb.jpg.6a61589dbcbb81c5cca98c9fa3462e46.jpg

Edited by Buzzetta

On 1/26/2022 at 2:17 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The Mandalorian benefits from being able to develop a new character who is basically as cool as Boba Fett. BOBF is at a disadvantage, since they're working with a legacy character that is past his prime.

Agreed

On 1/26/2022 at 3:16 PM, fett said:

yeah who cares about Mandalore history, Force mythology, back story on the Dark Saber and the Sith. :) missing alot and several live characters from that series coming soon 

Just because a series talks about history, mythology, etc doesn't mean it's good!

See Episodes VII-!X! 

On 1/26/2022 at 6:54 PM, zuckuss2003 said:

Why did the armorer wait until after the fight to kick him out? She clearly already knew he broke the creed.  Maybe to see if he would lose and have to relinquish the blade? But then why waste the time making the armor for the little foundling?  It was a weird scene. 

That was the worst scene in the episode.

I don't think she knew, it was a plot device to get him throw out.

Maybe She only has enough soup for her & Djin's challenger?

Edited by Comics4All

On 1/26/2022 at 12:59 PM, Comics4All said:

Clone Wars was good!

Except for a few episodes with Vader, Ashoka, OBK, and Darth Maul you're not missing anything with Rebels

Totally feel the polar opposite. Both are amazing but Clone Wars has so many filler episodes. Everytime I watched a Rebels episode, I felt like I was 8 again and watching Episode IV for the first time. Without seeing it, you're going to probably miss a lot of references in the Ahsoka show with the focal point being Ezra, Sabine, Hera and Thrawn.

Edited by I like pie

On 1/26/2022 at 5:54 PM, zuckuss2003 said:

Why did the armorer wait until after the fight to kick him out? She clearly already knew he broke the creed.  Maybe to see if he would lose and have to relinquish the blade? But then why waste the time making the armor for the little foundling?  It was a weird scene. 

I'm certain she knew. She wanted to see if he would lie.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:48 PM, I like pie said:

I'm certain she knew. She wanted to see if he would lie.

Maybe she did, maybe not.

If she knew why make the gift for Grogu? She would allow a non Mandalorian to wear beskar ?

If she's Sabine & she let Bo take the DS & it led to ruin, isn't she worried Mando is going to do something similiar? Keeping him close to her & educating him more about the DS would make more sense....

Seems like giving him a quest to go on to be a "Mandalorian" again, is convenient more for the Story ....

On 1/26/2022 at 8:58 PM, Comics4All said:

Maybe she did, maybe not.

If she knew why make the gift for Grogu? She would allow a non Mandalorian to wear beskar ?

If she's Sabine & she let Bo take the DS & it led to ruin, isn't she worried Mando is going to do something similiar? Keeping him close to her & educating him more about the DS would make more sense....

Seems like giving him a quest to go on to be a "Mandalorian" again, is convenient more for the Story ....

I'm thinking that she is routing for him. Why? No clue. When she told him how to redeem himself, even though it may not appear possible now, I got a feeling he is going to find a way to do it.

Edited by I like pie

On 1/26/2022 at 9:44 PM, I like pie said:

Totally feel the polar opposite. Both are amazing but Clone Wars has so many filler episodes. Everytime I watched a Rebels episode, I felt like I was 8 again and watching Episode IV for the first time. Without seeing it, you're going to probably miss a lot of references in the Ahsoka show with the focal point being Ezra, Sabine, Hera and Thrawn.

I agree with this.  Felt Rebels was the stronger of the two series as a whole. 

I think though if you were to rate the top ten episodes between the two series that Clone Wars will show up more on the list than Rebels especially with that final season with Ahsoka.  However, as a whole, Rebels is a stronger series. 

So many notable episodes in Clone Wars that flesh out the force like that planet that had the father, the brother and sister that test Anakin.  Then you have the whole inter-dimensional force gateway thing in Rebels... that I cannot wait for them to bring to the screen once Ahsoka seeks out Admiral Thrawn. 

Thrawn is still the best villain in Star Wars since 1983 lol 

On 1/26/2022 at 10:38 PM, Buzzetta said:

Thrawn is still the best villain in Star Wars since 1983 lol 

Yeah, by a mile. 

If Disney handles the High Republic stuff the right way Marchion Ro could rival him. I get a less-civilized Thrawn vibe from what I've read in the comics and books, but very compelling. 

On 1/26/2022 at 5:43 PM, Comics4All said:

Just because a series talks about history, mythology, etc doesn't mean it's good!

See Episodes VII-!X! 

speaking for myself-I do like this story and it was started in the Clone Wars and continued into Rebels-and now another chapter is starting in this series. If you don't like it don't watch it -but I think that others might appreciate the entire story as much as I do-so I am going to tell other fans they should watch these other series-they can decide if it's a waste of their time. :) 

On 1/26/2022 at 9:44 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Speaks volumes that that best episode of Book of Boba Fett was in fact a Mandalorian episode. Didn't even feel like it was part of the show and was a breath of fresh air.

I just hope they nail the casting on Thrawn .