• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: AHSOKA TANO show (TBD)
3 3

391 posts in this topic

On 9/6/2023 at 4:13 PM, drotto said:

I really dislike aspects of the Sabine story line.  It is actually my biggest gripe with the show. Much of it feels forced and unearned. 

I think the error with the Sabine stuff is that Filoni has played it too close to the vest in terms of her relationship between the end of "Rebels" and where we pick them up here. It would probably feel more earned and satisfying if we knew the extent/specifics of their fallout and overall dynamic during the padawan-ship earlier so we can judge it against what we see as this story unfolds. Although we did get a big hint in the newest episode, so again we'll see if doling out this info actually pays off.

But despite any of my misgivings with how the animated translations have panned out so far the show still passes my personal Exist Test. Am I happier that it exists than not? Absolutely. Did "Obi-Wan" pass? NOPE. Failed in like ep 2.

On 9/6/2023 at 4:43 PM, Chamber of Chills said:

This episode in particular made me miss Ray Stevenson.
A lot.
I've never been so captivated by a new Star Wars character before.
Everything just clicks - from his wardrobe to his fighting style to his 'honest' line delivery.

I'm the opposite with regards to his fighting style.  He's waaay too stiff, like he's counting the moves in his head like it's some rehearsed motion.  There's nothing fluid about it.  And as a result, I don't feel his saber sequences translate well on screen.  Conversely, Shin Hati's fights have been great because she moves as though there's a level of rage just boiling under the surface.

On 9/6/2023 at 1:42 PM, drotto said:

I am very split on this show.  If I watch it through the eyes of a average watcher, I like it. It is very  entertaining on a superficial level.  If I watch it as a more hard core Star Wars fan, many aspects of the plot and characterization fall apart for me, and I get annoyed. 

Our characters don't quite feel like themselves.  Sabine has really been hardened by the war and the loss of Ezra.  She almost acts like a lost lover more than a lost friend.  That to me doesn't feel right.  Nor does the seriousness of the Ahsoka we see compared to Clone Wars and even Rebels.  The only one who still feels like their animated self is Chopper.  I get it, war and loss will do that to a person, but it's such a divergence, it's made these characters a little unfamiliar.  Last, I'm not a fan of the Ahsoka/Sabine master/apprentice dynamic.  I don't get why Ahsoka would take on someone who's not force attuned.  Worst that she wouldn't train Grogu because he's too old, and yet she re-accepts Sabine who's even older (relative to her race), and less force sensitive.

I've still enjoyed the series and it's the second best live action behind Andor, but I can't help but think it could be better.

On 9/6/2023 at 8:14 PM, smarkjobber said:

I think the error with the Sabine stuff is that Filoni has played it too close to the vest in terms of her relationship between the end of "Rebels" and where we pick them up here. It would probably feel more earned and satisfying if we knew the extent/specifics of their fallout and overall dynamic during the padawan-ship earlier so we can judge it against what we see as this story unfolds. Although we did get a big hint in the newest episode, so again we'll see if doling out this info actually pays off.

But despite any of my misgivings with how the animated translations have panned out so far the show still passes my personal Exist Test. Am I happier that it exists than not? Absolutely. Did "Obi-Wan" pass? NOPE. Failed in like ep 2.

I have a big issue with the Ahsoka ans Sabine relationship.  I watched all of Rebels, and the two of them did not seem to have any special  relationship other than she was part of the crew.  No training was ever shown or even implied. I can not even recall them having any personal or one on one conversations. So the master and apprentice relationship makes no sense as it was never established. Not to mention Sabine was never even hinted at having any force ability. 

I do also understand the motivation for Sabine you are referring too. This for me falls into the catagory of it would have been better to show it, and not have it put in as one line.

Overall, the show is good not great, and it is issues like this that is holding me back from fully buying into this show. It is written on the same level as the cartoons, and to an extent suffers from the simplification and characters and plot that US cartoons often have. This is Rebels season 5, not really a new show. When this was translated to live action, I was hoping for some elevation from that level of writing to a more mature, safisticated, and complex plot.

On 9/6/2023 at 8:33 PM, ExNihilo said:
On 9/6/2023 at 7:43 PM, Chamber of Chills said:

This episode in particular made me miss Ray Stevenson.
A lot.
I've never been so captivated by a new Star Wars character before.
Everything just clicks - from his wardrobe to his fighting style to his 'honest' line delivery.

I'm the opposite with regards to his fighting style.  He's waaay too stiff, like he's counting the moves in his head like it's some rehearsed motion.  There's nothing fluid about it.  And as a result, I don't feel his saber sequences translate well on screen.  Conversely, Shin Hati's fights have been great because she moves as though there's a level of rage just boiling under the surface.

He reminded me of Christopher Lee as Count Dooku who was also stiff with a lightsaber.  Not that surprising given that they were both older actors while doing their lightsaber scenes.

At the extreme end of that stiff to smooth and agile spectrum is Ray Park as Darth Maul.  His moves in Phantom Menace are the best by any Jedi or Sith in any of the films.

On 9/1/2023 at 2:14 PM, media_junkie said:

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know Disney had purchased this board and we could only post Happy Happy Joy Joy comments about the Disney Star Wars shows.

Didn't mean to upset you Bobby Iger, I'll try and do better next time with the amaze ball products you are putting out.

Dude, we get it, you’re lame.

On 9/7/2023 at 7:00 AM, fantastic_four said:

At the extreme end of that stiff to smooth and agile spectrum is Ray Park as Darth Maul.  His moves in Phantom Menace are the best by any Jedi or Sith in any of the films.

Ray Park as Darth Maul, followed only by the epic sequence in RotS between Obi Wan and Anakin on Mustafar.  That's the standard I hold lightsaber duels to and everythin in the sequel trilogy and live action shows has disappointed.  The best lightsaber sequence since RotS?  Ahsoka vs Darth Maul (which used mocap of, none other than, Ray Park).

On 9/7/2023 at 12:40 PM, ExNihilo said:

Ray Park as Darth Maul, followed only by the epic sequence in RotS between Obi Wan and Anakin on Mustafar.  That's the standard I hold lightsaber duels to and everythin in the sequel trilogy and live action shows has disappointed.  The best lightsaber sequence since RotS?  Ahsoka vs Darth Maul (which used mocap of, none other than, Ray Park).

I agree with Obi-Wan and Anakin in RotS as second.  I mostly enjoyed the rematch at the end of the Obi-Wan show, but it's not as good as those first two.  I haven't seen that Ahsoka vs. Maul fight yet; I'm still slowly working my way through Clone Wars, almost done with season 5 now.  I assume that battle you're referring to is in season 7, that one Disney released within the last year or two.

Are you sure the Vader scene in Rogue One where he's cutting through the Rebel soldiers isn't the third best?  It isn't a Jedi vs. Sith battle so you may have excluded it for that reason.  David Prose as Vader in the original trilogy was also pretty stiff, and it wasn't until Rogue One that I saw how bad-arse Vader could be.  (worship)

On 9/7/2023 at 9:52 AM, fantastic_four said:

I agree with Obi-Wan and Anakin in RotS as second.  I mostly enjoyed the rematch at the end of the Obi-Wan show, but it's not as good as those first two.  I haven't seen that Ahsoka vs. Maul fight yet; I'm still slowly working my way through Clone Wars, almost done with season 5 now.  I assume that battle you're referring to is in season 7, that one Disney released within the last year or two.

Are you sure the Vader scene in Rogue One where he's cutting through the Rebel soldiers isn't the third best?  It isn't a Jedi vs. Sith battle so you may have excluded it for that reason.  David Prose as Vader in the original trilogy was also pretty stiff, and it wasn't until Rogue One that I saw how bad-arse Vader could be.  (worship)

I admit, I forgot about that, but as you pointed out, I was only thinking of saber duels.  And yes, that Ahsoka/Maul duel comes later on in Clone Wars.  (Sorry if that was a spoiler.  I wrongfully assumed that most people watching Ahsoka would have watched Clone Wars/Rebels).

On 9/7/2023 at 9:54 AM, fantastic_four said:

Had no idea until today that Hera Syndulla (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) and Obi-Wan were married IRL...apparently it happened last year.  :whatthe:

nintchdbpict000366149707.jpg

Power couple.  A General of the Rebellion, and a general of the grand army of the Republic.

On 9/7/2023 at 10:01 AM, Catwomancomics said:

Sabine deflects a lightsaber with her Mandalorian gauntlet. Has this ever happened before in any animated show?

Not that I can recall.  I can only think of it happening in Mandalorian.  Based on that, I'm assuming that parts of Sabine's armor is comprised of beskar.

On 9/7/2023 at 1:01 PM, Catwomancomics said:

Sabine deflects a lightsaber with her Mandalorian gauntlet. Has this ever happened before in any animated show?

Din Djarin does it in the Mandalorian a lot.  Beskar can deflect lightsabers, and "real" Mandalorians always wear beskar armor when they can.

If lightsabers are just the fourth state of matter (plasma) then beskar would be a hypothetical metal with a higher melting point than whatever temperatures lightsabers run at.

On 9/6/2023 at 5:55 PM, drotto said:

I have a big issue with the Ahsoka ans Sabine relationship.  I watched all of Rebels, and the two of them did not seem to have any special  relationship other than she was part of the crew.  No training was ever shown or even implied. I can not even recall them having any personal or one on one conversations. So the master and apprentice relationship makes no sense as it was never established. Not to mention Sabine was never even hinted at having any force ability.

None of the relationship bugs me. Maybe because Sabine an all time SW fave for me, but it's mostly just the actual writing that irks. Sabine trained with Kanan on how to use the darksaber, and during that time he specifically explained to Hera that Sabine could use the force is she wasn't "blocked" and stubborn like a typical Mandalorian. If she never had trained with a saber, if she was always on Mandalore when the ghost crew met Ahsoka/fulcrum then maybe the apprenticeship would have seemed more left-field to me. I think Filoni is using Sabine's lack of force power to say something "new" about being a Jedi and using the force and I don't mind that.

On 9/6/2023 at 5:39 PM, ExNihilo said:

I don't get why Ahsoka would take on someone who's not force attuned.  Worst that she wouldn't train Grogu because he's too old, and yet she re-accepts Sabine who's even older (relative to her race), and less force sensitive.

My feeling is that Ahsoka chose not to train Grogu because her Jedi training with Sabine blew up so bad. That is the subtext at least.

On 9/7/2023 at 3:43 PM, smarkjobber said:
On 9/6/2023 at 7:39 PM, ExNihilo said:

I don't get why Ahsoka would take on someone who's not force attuned.  Worst that she wouldn't train Grogu because he's too old, and yet she re-accepts Sabine who's even older (relative to her race), and less force sensitive.

My feeling is that Ahsoka chose not to train Grogu because her Jedi training with Sabine blew up so bad. That is the subtext at least.

I thought it was stated that Ahsoka did not train Grogu because of his attachment to Din.

On 9/7/2023 at 2:44 PM, valiantman said:

I thought it was stated that Ahsoka did not train Grogu because of his attachment to Din.

Yes, that's what Ahsoka said. But this failed Sabine training could be the subtext. It would certainly be more satisfying to me if the events were related.

Edited by smarkjobber

On 9/7/2023 at 6:04 PM, smarkjobber said:

Yes, that's what Ahsoka said. But this failed Sabine training could be the subtext. It would certainly be more satisfying to me if the events were related.

She went into more detail that's more pertinent to exactly what she said about attachment though.  She said she saw what attachment did to pull Anakin to the Dark Side and vowed to never have that happen again.  That made complete sense to me given all she went through with him.

But I haven't seen a moment of Rebels so I defer to your knowledge of her relationship with Sabine.  I have to admit I don't fully understand why she's training a non-Force user.  ???

On 9/7/2023 at 4:03 PM, fantastic_four said:

She went into more detail that's more pertinent to exactly what she said about attachment though.  She said she saw what attachment did to pull Anakin to the Dark Side and vowed to never have that happen again.  That made complete sense to me given all she went through with him.

But I haven't seen a moment of Rebels so I defer to your knowledge of her relationship with Sabine.  I have to admit I don't fully understand why she's training a non-Force user.  ???

The ideas are not mutually exclusive. She could have made an excuse that she believes/would be plausible for someone to believe and also consciously/unconsciously have other reasoning that is not specifically related.

Her relationship with Sabine in Rebels is nearly nothing. What we know about their training together is what we have learned in these 4 episodes. I assume that we will know a lot more by the end of the season.