• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: AHSOKA TANO show (TBD)
3 3

391 posts in this topic

On 9/7/2023 at 12:22 PM, ExNihilo said:

I admit, I forgot about that, but as you pointed out, I was only thinking of saber duels.  And yes, that Ahsoka/Maul duel comes later on in Clone Wars.  (Sorry if that was a spoiler.  I wrongfully assumed that most people watching Ahsoka would have watched Clone Wars/Rebels).

Power couple.  A General of the Rebellion, and a general of the grand army of the Republic.

Not that I can recall.  I can only think of it happening in Mandalorian.  Based on that, I'm assuming that parts of Sabine's armor is comprised of beskar.

That Maul vs Ahsoka duel was quite epic. My all time favorite is Maul and Oppress vs Sidious. Ahsoka vs Vader in Rebels wasn’t bad either. 

On 9/7/2023 at 3:43 PM, smarkjobber said:

I think Filoni is using Sabine's lack of force power to say something "new" about being a Jedi and using the force and I don't mind that.

I’m really hoping the Acolyte touches on this. The High Republic books are doing a great job with this. The idea of a Jedi’s relationship to the force and the order is a constant underlying theme without overtaking the main plot. I’m really digging it and recommend anyone with the time to read these books. 

On 9/6/2023 at 7:14 AM, awakeintheashes said:

We don’t get second chances often, so please savor and enjoy Dave Filoni fixing post-OT Star Wars for as long it lasts. 

i love how the redemption of Anakin/Hayden in the past few years.

On 9/8/2023 at 12:33 PM, awakeintheashes said:

That Maul vs Ahsoka duel was quite epic. My all time favorite is Maul and Oppress vs Sidious. Ahsoka vs Vader in Rebels wasn’t bad either. 

yes those are fantastic and i rewatched them last night after i caught up to Ashoka

I will say the opening of the Vader vs Ashoka is so freaking wonderful

the way she comes running (the second time around) in with the lightsabers behind her

it's just so great, that episode is one of my favorite star wars moments

plus the dialogue is great

"i won't leave you....not this time"

"then you will die"

image.thumb.png.ad320e9ff72064287d2d020f5e0d7024.png

On 9/8/2023 at 10:33 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Rebels spoilers for those who haven't seen it:

Spoiler

I've really come to appreciate the Obi Wan/Maul fight after hearing Sam Witwer walk through the mental state of the characters.  (apologies, I know TikTok is a cancerous site, but it was the first video I could find).  The first time I saw the fight I was disappointed at how simple it was.  After hearing Witwer talk about it, there's a poetic sort of beauty to it now.

On 9/8/2023 at 10:42 AM, jsilverjanet said:

i love how the redemption of Anakin/Hayden in the past few years.

Seeing the fans embrace Hayden makes me so happy.  For other actors, they would have put Star Wars behind them and just been all "screw that part of my career".  But Hayden has continued to embrace the movies and the fans and that positivity has endeared itself amongst the fan base.  Genuinely enjoy how beloved this guy has become amongst Star Wars fans.

Edited by ExNihilo

I'm really enjoying the show so far, can't wait for next week's episode.

On 9/6/2023 at 7:33 PM, ExNihilo said:

I'm the opposite with regards to his fighting style.  He's waaay too stiff, like he's counting the moves in his head like it's some rehearsed motion.  There's nothing fluid about it.  And as a result, I don't feel his saber sequences translate well on screen.  Conversely, Shin Hati's fights have been great because she moves as though there's a level of rage just boiling under the surface.

I saw someone that pointed out that he holds high lightsaber almost like a giant broadsword, as if there appears to be some "weight" to it.  This is also reflected in the power in the strikes he uses against Ahsoka prior to her heading over the cliff.  So his fighting form is reflected accordingly. I'm choosing to go with this theory.

I'm loving this show, though it may as well be called 'Sabine.' I'm really enjoying Baylan, such a nuanced character, it's a real pity we'll never have the opportunity to see him ever AGAIN (RIP Ray Stephenson). 

I haven't had any interest recently in any of the Marvel or even Star Wars shows, but Ahsoka got me hooked. Great stuff. 

Spoiler

My only complaint is I wish Anakin's lesson was clearer.  "Live or Die" felt too simple.  I would have appreciated it more if the lesson was more like "find something to live for".

Otherwise, I appreciated the flashback to the Clone Wars.  Referencing the Siege of Mandalore.  And above all else...our boy Rex!

On 9/13/2023 at 3:29 AM, ExNihilo said:
  Hide contents

My only complaint is I wish Anakin's lesson was clearer.  "Live or Die" felt too simple.  I would have appreciated it more if the lesson was more like "find something to live for".

Otherwise, I appreciated the flashback to the Clone Wars.  Referencing the Siege of Mandalore.  And above all else...our boy Rex!

The goal of the lesson, yes, quite simple, but I think it had to be for the uninitiated viewers. I think the lesson had more to do with the path she chooses as to which type of master she wants to be.

Spoiler

Anakin’s views on the role of the Jedi always conflicted with other Jedi, and became concerning at times. We never really got to see how Ahsoka felt or even addressed it with him. I was glad to see this play out in this episode. I think it helps inform how she trains Jaycen moving forward.

I don’t believe Sabine is the Padawan she’s going to train. However, that opens up the question about the whereabouts of many of these characters during the rise of the First Order. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

Disney has caused people to think their favorite characters from Marvel and Star Wars are raccoons and whales. I don't even recognize my childhood anymore. Get off my lawn. :preach:

"In my day, the best people in comics and science fiction movies were still people, and weeeeeeeee liked it!"

My biggest complaints for this show are very consistent for Disney series in general.

1. Feels like this would have been better as a 2 or 3 hour movie as opposed to a 9 episode show.  Not dismissing the good moments, but still too much filler.

2. Teasing Thrawn and this was Disney's take on Heir to the Empire was a major portion of this show's promotion and it is frustrating.  At this rate will see Thrawn as a cliffhanger in the second to last episode, and then in the final episode, with no resolution of the story.  You will have to wait for the movie for any real use of him. Things need to become a bit more stand alone.

3. Too many contrived events to get to the next point in the plot.  There be whales here, being this week's example.  After building up the map that much, then basically discarding that to hitch a ride, seems to be another step in a long line of things that have just randomly happened to so we can get to the next plot point. I was hoping for a bit more nuanced and mature writing. I like when characters feel like they are moving the plot along and figuring things out, not being led along by things that are just happening to them.  

Overall it is good, but some of the things listed above are stopping me from rating it higher.

Edited by drotto

i think the first 5 episodes are setting up a great final 3 episodes

this certainly felt like ok we've caught all of you up, now buckle up, because it's going to be intense