• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Video Game Chit Chat Is Welcome!! PlayStation 5/XBox Series X scalping...did you/will you pay inflated prices?
6 6

Scalped PlayStation 5/XBox Series X console  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Have you/will you purchase(d) a PS5 at retailer or scalper price?

• Retailer
    • Scalper
    • I’d rather buy comic books
    • I have better things to do with my hard earned stimulus check

740 posts in this topic

While the X has been difficult to get, I could have easily gotten one when the drops happened. Not sure if there were more units each time or if it isnt as popular 

Personally, I dont think there is much difference between the two, besides who makes it 

On 1/4/2022 at 11:53 AM, jaybuck43 said:

Was reminded yesterday why I hate GameStop. Happened to be in the mall and figured I’d pop in and see if they have the Xbox Series X (I currently have an Xbox one S which runs fine but wouldn’t mind upgrading). 

me: Any chance you guys have Xbox Series X?

Gamestop Employee: yes, but it comes in a bundle with nba 2k22, far cry 6, call of duty vanguard and a $50 gift card for $659.00

me: that’s fine, can I substitute the games, and pick different ones that are the same price? 

GsE: no you need to get those.

me: Fine, ring it up.

GsE: ok.

GsE goes in back to get everything comes out and rings it up.

GsE: Ok that will be 780.

me: I know it’s a new year, but when did tax hit 20%?

GsE: O we’re out of physical copies of the games so you have to get digital and those cost more.

Me: the sign says it’s $659 for those games, it doesn’t specify physical or digital, so honor the price with digital or let me select three physical games that are the same price.

GsE: sign says physical.

Me walks over to sign

Me: I’ll pay double if you can point to anywhere on the sign it says the word “physical”.

GsE:….. well it should. 
me walks out.

That's pure delusion. Reminds me of the video I watched yesterday in which I cop claimed that the driver ran a Stop sign, yet wrote him tickets for having a "modified exhaust" and no American driver's license (driver is Canadian). A mindless power-trip.

I probably would've argued my case until someone of value honored the deal, but I completely understand why you would just walk away.

On 1/4/2022 at 10:53 AM, jaybuck43 said:

Was reminded yesterday why I hate GameStop. Happened to be in the mall and figured I’d pop in and see if they have the Xbox Series X (I currently have an Xbox one S which runs fine but wouldn’t mind upgrading). 

me: Any chance you guys have Xbox Series X?

Gamestop Employee: yes, but it comes in a bundle with nba 2k22, far cry 6, call of duty vanguard and a $50 gift card for $659.00

me: that’s fine, can I substitute the games, and pick different ones that are the same price? 

GsE: no you need to get those.

me: Fine, ring it up.

GsE: ok.

GsE goes in back to get everything comes out and rings it up.

GsE: Ok that will be 780.

me: I know it’s a new year, but when did tax hit 20%?

GsE: O we’re out of physical copies of the games so you have to get digital and those cost more.

Me: the sign says it’s $659 for those games, it doesn’t specify physical or digital, so honor the price with digital or let me select three physical games that are the same price.

GsE: sign says physical.

Me walks over to sign

Me: I’ll pay double if you can point to anywhere on the sign it says the word “physical”.

GsE:….. well it should. 
me walks out.

Gamestop has basically only been selling overpriced mediocre bundles the whole time for the PS5 and the X.  By the way, word is that there are a lot of Targets that will be restocking PS5s this week, to the point it could really hit the aftermarket prices.  

On 1/4/2022 at 2:13 PM, Transplant said:

Gamestop has basically only been selling overpriced mediocre bundles the whole time for the PS5 and the X.  By the way, word is that there are a lot of Targets that will be restocking PS5s this week, to the point it could really hit the aftermarket prices.  

Mediocre yes, overpriced not really.  

$499.99 XBOX Series X

$24.99 Farcry 6

$34.99 NBA 2K22 

$49.99 CoD Vanguard

$50 Gift Certificate

Total $659.99 (then NJ Tax)

Overpriced is when they force you to buy garbage accessories for no reason.  

On 1/4/2022 at 8:49 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Mediocre yes, overpriced not really.  

$499.99 XBOX Series X

$24.99 Farcry 6

$34.99 NBA 2K22 

$49.99 CoD Vanguard

$50 Gift Certificate

Total $659.99 (then NJ Tax)

Overpriced is when they force you to buy garbage accessories for no reason.  

Fair. But you would have to buy a gc to their store. Though, I guess that’s better than the games they make you buy with it that I probably wouldn’t buy. 

I stopped an early piece into AC Valhalla on my last gen xbox so I could rebuy and play on PS5. Can’t wait to hit Ghosts of Tsushima directors cut next after completing the whole launch edition already.  What a great game. 

About time us Xbox owners got to join the fun. I got my Series X at launch, ordered from Microsoft themselves, funnily enough. Went to order from Eb Games (Gamestop in Australia) but their site kept crashing, and they pushed it back for 12 hours. A friend then told me about the MS site, and sure enough, they still had units. Got it launch day, and had no problems, other than nothing new to play, just the same old games. Now Halo is finally out, but I'm happy to wait for them to actually finish it a bit more. I want to have a good experience with the campaign, and I'm not sure it's quite there, yet. The MP is fun, though, though I'm very out of practice. 

I admit, I did buy the cat ears for my Spartan helmet, just to annoy those I kill. 

My PS 5 did arrive a few days before Christmas.  Very pleased with it. The bundle was quite sensible in my case, just an extra controller, which is pretty much a necessity anyway.

Started out with the Mass Effect Legendary Edition and completed the first game over the festive period on Insanity setting, which isn’t particularly extreme in difficulty.  Happy with the experience, never having played it before, all apart from one aspect of the planet exploring side missions, not the Mako, that wasn’t bad at all, rather the repetitive, cookie cutter use of the same couple of designs for the bases that you go into.  

I then went onto Uncharted 4, which I believe is a polarising game, as it’s extremely slow, padded with long, cinematic cut scenes, little gameplay innovation, and, for me, felt surprisingly tedious.  So much that I went back to the remastered Mass Effect 2.

I still need to discover a way to check that my PS4 games with free PS5 upgrades are actually being converted over.

On 1/6/2022 at 10:08 AM, Ken Aldred said:

My PS 5 did arrive a few days before Christmas.  Very pleased with it. The bundle was quite sensible in my case, just an extra controller, which is pretty much a necessity anyway.

Started out with the Mass Effect Legendary Edition and completed the first game over the festive period on Insanity setting, which isn’t particularly extreme in difficulty.  Happy with the experience, never having played it before, all apart from one aspect of the planet exploring side missions, not the Mako, that wasn’t bad at all, rather the repetitive, cookie cutter use of the same couple of designs for the bases that you go into.  

I then went onto Uncharted 4, which I believe is a polarising game, as it’s extremely slow, padded with long, cinematic cut scenes, little gameplay innovation, and, for me, felt surprisingly tedious.  So much that I went back to the remastered Mass Effect 2.

I still need to discover a way to check that my PS4 games with free PS5 upgrades are actually being converted over.

I'm not a fan of so many button presses to get off the system. The OS reminds me of Xbox 1. 

If you find your way into PS Plus there is a lot of games for free download PS5 edition, right now

I have manually gone through my games for a PS5 counterpart, but none as of yet. 

I have a western digital 4 tb passport that I used for homebrew on my PS3 that I've formatted to keep my PS4 games on. I've only been playing Surviving Mars, and besides inital load and saves, there is barely a hiccup in performance. I imagine if I was playing on the system itself, it wouldn't be noticeable. 

I've given thought to adding some SSD space, but the prices arent quite what I would like them to be. At 850 gig of on system SSD, you do need an upgrade, but 130 bucks for a terabyte and 300 and beyond for more, I'll wait it out and just install games as I play them.

Very pleased with Sonys licensing system for digital content. I know where my 80 bucks a year goes, and add on I get 2-5 free games a month, its worthwhile. Currently sitting at about 150 games, of which I might play two, but I imagine when retirement hits, I won't be wanting for something to do 

Oh I must add, my overheating fears are completely squashed

I haven't heard a single peep from out of the machine yet (granted, Survivng Mars is hardly a PC burner) but you can feel air moving out the back, and for the first time ever, its COLD air. I'm going to have to play Miles Morales (disk game) and try to put it through its paces. The BD drive isn't whisper quiet, but its no worse than a modern laptop.

One thing I wish people would is if a bundle comes with a disk game, have a way to make the digital version available for download. Putting disks in things is so 1995.

I did get the disk version to use for ultra 4k movies, if I ever get any, but honestly, I think this will be the last gen for disks on all systems 

On 1/6/2022 at 2:41 PM, The Meta said:

Oh I must add, my overheating fears are completely squashed

I haven't heard a single peep from out of the machine yet (granted, Survivng Mars is hardly a PC burner) but you can feel air moving out the back, and for the first time ever, its COLD air. I'm going to have to play Miles Morales (disk game) and try to put it through its paces. The BD drive isn't whisper quiet, but its no worse than a modern laptop.

One thing I wish people would is if a bundle comes with a disk game, have a way to make the digital version available for download. Putting disks in things is so 1995.

I did get the disk version to use for ultra 4k movies, if I ever get any, but honestly, I think this will be the last gen for disks on all systems 

The game isn’t on the disc. It hasn’t been for a while. Even PS4 did this. It just acts as a security check to make sure you have the rights to it. It’s the trade off for being able to resell and for discounts which we rarely get on digital.

On 1/6/2022 at 8:43 PM, jaybuck43 said:

The game isn’t on the disc. It hasn’t been for a while. Even PS4 did this. It just acts as a security check to make sure you have the rights to it. It’s the trade off for being able to resell and for discounts which we rarely get on digital.

I get it, still think it's dumb though.

If you buy the disk, just have access to the game

On 1/6/2022 at 12:08 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I still need to discover a way to check that my PS4 games with free PS5 upgrades are actually being converted over

At the main menu, it will say which system each game is for. For example, it says "PS4" in the corner for Modern Warfare and Cold War, but "PS5" for Vanguard.

On 1/6/2022 at 10:43 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Not just that, but the disc version download was always significantly smaller for my PS4 games, which suggests to me that it's reading at least some game data there. Not sure if that's the case for PS5 games.

On 1/7/2022 at 12:03 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

At the main menu, it will say which system each game is for. For example, it says "PS4" in the corner for Modern Warfare and Cold War, but "PS5" for Vanguard.

Mass Effect Legendary is a little confusing. PS 4 game, but the disc version can be upgraded for PS 5. No indication after downloading as to whether it’s the enhanced version that’s running. Still says PS 4. 

On 1/9/2022 at 2:01 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Mass Effect Legendary is a little confusing. PS 4 game, but the disc version can be upgraded for PS 5. No indication after downloading as to whether it’s the enhanced version that’s running. Still says PS 4. 

My guess is that, because the disc is master and labeled for PS4 the system is just going off of that. Almost makes me want to upgrade Black Ops to see if the logo changes to PS5 for digital game upgrades.

On 1/10/2022 at 7:10 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

My guess is that, because the disc is master and labeled for PS4 the system is just going off of that. Almost makes me want to upgrade Black Ops to see if the logo changes to PS5 for digital game upgrades.

ps5 instock right now here.

https://www.antonline.com/Sony/Playstation_5

Best selling games of the year, per the criteria listed, US only. Amazing that Mortal Kombat 11 made the list despite being a 2019 release. 

PLgFaBF.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/PLgFaBF.jpeg