• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL Turn Around Times thread for Trading Card Submissions!
8 8

2,610 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2023 at 1:05 AM, qlow said:

Economy

Delivered: 10/6

still yet to be entered / not opened or on my dash yet. tracking number shows they have received it though.

have expressed delivered on the 5th, not entered on mine either... or the legacy. curious 

I'm guessing it's partially because of NY Comic Con, which was Oct 12-15. I think whenever these conventions happen, they get delayed in processing submissions.

Though, I would love if CGC made some kind of statement as to what's going on with turnaround times in general and when they expect things to get back to normal. 

On 10/16/2023 at 10:49 AM, Holofoiled said:

I'm guessing it's partially because of NY Comic Con, which was Oct 12-15. I think whenever these conventions happen, they get delayed in processing submissions.

Though, I would love if CGC made some kind of statement as to what's going on with turnaround times in general and when they expect things to get back to normal. 

Turnaround times have been rising if you check the official page.

Bulk is now listed as 60 days.

They have been posting their record amounts of monthly submissions since July. Back to "normal" I'm sure is whenever submissions slow down. Not much else to say on it really. Submissions are up, turnarounds are slower. Makes sense to me

Edited by SnorlaxCollective

Snorlax, I appreciate your response. What I meant is more that it was sudden and not gradual and I would love insight into what caused the sudden uptick in turnaround times. I mean, Economy went from 15 to 45 days in the span of 2-3 weeks. That's a 3x increase, just suddenly. But, I'm also new to grading, so maybe this is a normal cycle and maybe slowdowns hit all of the grading companies during the holiday season. Also, the logic of submissions going up = turnaround times going up makes sense, but a 3x increase means that must've been a significant and sudden increase. Which again, maybe that's normal. I'm learning this.

On 10/16/2023 at 8:50 PM, Holofoiled said:

Snorlax, I appreciate your response. What I meant is more that it was sudden and not gradual and I would love insight into what caused the sudden uptick in turnaround times. I mean, Economy went from 15 to 45 days in the span of 2-3 weeks. That's a 3x increase, just suddenly. But, I'm also new to grading, so maybe this is a normal cycle and maybe slowdowns hit all of the grading companies during the holiday season. Also, the logic of submissions going up = turnaround times going up makes sense, but a 3x increase means that must've been a significant and sudden increase. Which again, maybe that's normal. I'm learning this.

Yea I'm starting to wonder what's going on recently, you would think with the merger maybe they would have more resources. The quick turnaround times used to be one of the main reasons I liked grading with CGC, used to get orders back within two weeks or less, now its turning into PSA or BGS wait times. I have an order I submitted almost a month ago still showing received with no movement, sigh....

A couple of things to consider: The merger completely removed the property restrictions - now you can pretty much get anything graded as long as it fits the holder and can be verified. They also announced registry contests, so people may be subbing items for those on top of what would normally be subbed.

Not sure why they wouldn't hire more people to work through the increase in submissions, though. 

On 10/12/2023 at 2:07 PM, critt said:

Not necessarily. If a company drastically increases revenue while drastically increasing grading volume (what we are seeing now), they could grow their operations to mitigate the increase in turnaround time to try and keep it around the low number that their customers enjoyed. If they do not do that, then it would be quite reasonable to say that they have "discontinued" those lower turnaround times.

It wouldn't be reasonable to say that shorter turnaround times are "discontinued" as a product that is discontinued is permanently not being produced.  Turn around times are not a product or service to be discontinued.  It is an estimation of completion to provide a product or service.  Estimations can change constantly overtime by a variety of variables, while discontinuing something is not variable, it is static and consistent forever.  This is why they will never say anything along the lines of "short turn around times are discontinued", but instead it would be nice if they communicated that turn around times will be longer due to such and such variable.

On 10/17/2023 at 9:34 AM, Miijangu said:

It wouldn't be reasonable to say that shorter turnaround times are "discontinued" as a product that is discontinued is permanently not being produced.  Turn around times are not a product or service to be discontinued.  It is an estimation of completion to provide a product or service.  Estimations can change constantly overtime by a variety of variables, while discontinuing something is not variable, it is static and consistent forever.  This is why they will never say anything along the lines of "short turn around times are discontinued", but instead it would be nice if they communicated that turn around times will be longer due to such and such variable.

Yeah fair enough, not going to continue down this road of pedantry so lets agree the term isn't great for the discussion. The point underlying it still stands. The difference is that the cause of increased grading volume is not a variable: this is a massive marketing push that they initiated and therefore were able to plan for, where success meant increased grading volume across the board from here on out. Its reasonable to wonder whether their plan included scaling operations alongside demand in order to mitigate the effects on turnaround times that success would necessitate. In other words, whether they regarded low turnaround times as core to their customers' interest in their services, and therefore something they intended to maintain as demand for their services grew in response to their changes. This seems like a reasonable question.

Edited by critt

Economy

Received: 10/17

i feel like scaling operations for demand is kind of a hard thing to do / takes time to find graders that meet their grading standards. maybe they could offset a backlog by having graders that are on-call whenever they experience a surge. or maybe part-time graders?

On 10/17/2023 at 1:03 PM, qlow said:

Economy

Received: 10/17

i feel like scaling operations for demand is kind of a hard thing to do / takes time to find graders that meet their grading standards. maybe they could offset a backlog by having graders that are on-call whenever they experience a surge. or maybe part-time graders?

It's not about finding graders that meet their standards. Like any business, I'm sure there's a training period that new hires have to go through. New graders probably wouldn't take on the same workload as vets, might decide to leave altogether, and probably get a probationary period. The question is: are they actively hiring new graders?

On 10/16/2023 at 1:05 AM, qlow said:

Economy

still yet to be entered / not opened or on my dash yet. tracking number shows they have received it though.

Mine is 10/4 the oldest so in same boat - says received still so its fine but it's hard waiting !!! Mine went economy 

Economy 1:

Received: 9/8/23

Current Status: Grading/Quality Control ~ for about 2 1/2 weeks now

Economy 2:

Received: 9/8/23

Current Status: Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging ~ for about 2 weeks now

I was pretty happy ones i got out of "Scheduled for Grading" but looks like atleast for me the steps after that take long. Im though still in current estimated turnaround time of 45 days. 

Edited by _M_

bulk order 1:  received 9/22 

today being a few days shy of 5 weeks it is still marked as "received" ... ugh

economy order 1(which actually has more cards than my bulk order, i was hoping it would be quicker so i paid the $3 more per card) : received 10/13

today being 10 days later still marked as "received"....i guess we will see which one actually ends up being quicker, keep ya updated!!

Edited by ryanfinkle59