• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

Here's an interesting case study.

Detective Comics # 120 (probably my favorite Penguin cover).

The Promise collection issue is tied for highest graded at 9.6 (white pages). 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/miscellaneous/detective-comics-120-the-promise-collection-pedigree-dc-1947-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/p/7244-175054.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

The other 9.6 is the Twilight Pedigree issue, which sold in March 2019 for $8,900. (Off-white pages)

The Church (Mile High Copy) is a mere 9.4 and sold a decade ago (when it was the then highest-graded) in Dec. 2010 for $17,750.

The Twilight copy is currently for sale via Heritage BIN / Make-an-Offer for $17,500 (a bit less than the inferior Mile High copy sold back in 2010). See here: 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-120-highest-graded-twilight-pedigree-dc-1947-cgc-nm-96-off-white-pages/i/800095942.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

So what's the Promise Collection 9.6 copy worth?

What does the presence of now two 9.6s do to the value of the Mile High 9.4?

What's the Mile High copy worth today (pre-Promise Collection sale) now that the Twilight copy sold for 1/2 as much?

Edited by Gatsby77

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Hey, since I love playing games..........................then how about this already gorgeous sure to be highest graded copy by a long shot:  :cloud9:  :takeit:

suspense.jpg

How much unnecessary work will they still try to do on this already "no more need for improvement" book here and how high into the 9's will they dare to be brave enough to score this book here, given it's rather obvious spine and corner issues and the fact that Lon had made the Corporate mistake of pre-emptively providing a scanned copy of the raw book here? :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

I dunno, but I think I just soiled myself again...

Edited by Robot Man

44 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Hey, since I love playing games..........................then how about this already gorgeous sure to be highest graded copy by a long shot:  :cloud9:  :takeit:

suspense.jpg

How much unnecessary work will they still try to do on this already "no more need for improvement" book here and how high into the 9's will they dare to be brave enough to score this book here, given it's rather obvious spine and corner issues and the fact that Lon had made the Corporate mistake of pre-emptively providing a scanned copy of the raw book here? :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

One thing I love about that scan is that it actually starts to show the 3 dimensionally LB Cole covers have when they still have their gloss. Something I suspect many have never seen in person. 

Is this the 9.2 on the census?

Edited by Rip

37 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/miscellaneous/detective-comics-120-the-promise-collection-pedigree-dc-1947-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/p/7244-175054.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

The other 9.6 is the Twilight Pedigree issue, which sold in March 2019 for $8,900. (Off-white pages)

The Church (Mile High Copy) is a mere 9.4 and sold a decade ago (when it was the then highest-graded) in Dec. 2010 for $17,750.

The Twilight copy is currently for sale via Heritage BIN / Make-an-Offer for $17,500 (a bit less than the inferior Mile High copy sold back in 2010). See here: 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-120-highest-graded-twilight-pedigree-dc-1947-cgc-nm-96-off-white-pages/i/800095942.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

What's the Mile High copy worth today (pre-Promise Collection sale) now that the Twilight copy sold for 1/2 as much?

I don't see the Twilight copy in the same ballpark. The browning around the top and spine is a big turn off for me. Would love to see the MH copy.

Edited by Rip

On 5/3/2021 at 2:26 PM, sfcityduck said:

The vast majority of pedigree stories don't really matter to me.  At their core, they boil down to X person saved X number of comics with an average condition of X for X years.  And for most of the pedigrees, we don't even know what the X's are.  Even when we do, for most its just boring info that is true for pretty much every comic on the market:

The Billy Wright backstory, for example, is pretty typical:  Billy Wright saved 340 comics purchased from 1936 to 1941 that remained neatly stacked in a basement closet until discovered by a family member and sold on Heritage.  It's the comics that were exciting!  Not the back story.  

So right now, I'm not sitting on pins and needles wanting to know the "backstory" on this collection.  The fact they chose to call it the "Promise" collection suggests that the info will be limited, probably not revealing the original owner's name, and therefore might be unverifiable.  Someone up thread speculated that this was a collection kept for a soldier who "promised" to come back from war.  Guess what?  We already got that story for the "Tom Reilly" or "San Francisco" pedigree, and it has never been verified.  Some of the tactics used to hype comics just don't move the needle for me.

Is that like saying all WWII generals were the same?

39 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Promise copy has a dust shadow left top edge, a bit rough right top edge, and is misaligned/miscut with the Superman circle top cut off and blank paper below the image bottom right:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F9%2F2%2F7%2F23927244%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Twilight presents very nicely with better centering:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F2%2F6%2F4%2F6%2F22646054%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Mile High? (not sure) looks pretty good:

D120.png.64fe4d1030838cfe031d518a9ff6c848.png

I'm not convinced the Promise Copy is tops, although I am a white pages guy.  I'd love to see the interior of a Promise copy. 

Edited by sfcityduck

3 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Promise copy has a dust shadow top edge, a bit rough tight top edge, is misaligned, and miscut with the Superman circle top cut off and blank paper below the image bottom right:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F9%2F2%2F7%2F23927244%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Twilight presents very nicely with better centering:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F2%2F6%2F4%2F6%2F22646054%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Mile High? (not sure) looks pretty good:

D120.png.64fe4d1030838cfe031d518a9ff6c848.png

I'm not convinced the Promise Copy is tops, although I am a white pages guy.  I'd love to see the interior of a Promise copy. 

To me I’d take the promise copy. Better PQ and you get more art on bottom vs slight clip on DC logo. Both have slight dust shadows from the scans appearances. Both are really nice though…

20210512_180057.jpg.61fb8c194d01f4ec098cb5ee35bba289.jpgSince Greggy is all confused again. I will clarify my question/statement.  

Does anyone know if there is a Punch Comics #12 in this collection? 

Other than 1 restored book at 8.5 the current top census is the Crowley 8.0 that sold on Heritage in 2002 for just over $2,530 then again in 2018 for $55,000

20210512_180038.jpg.f5bc5d49412f9289af423a5e148dff88.jpg

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

suspense.jpg

:golfclap:

4 hours ago, Badger said:

Yes, absolutely correct it is a horrible look. However, it appears to be a look that is only surface deep. In 21 years of operation there has never been a single ex-employee who has asserted any such bias in CGC's operations. That speaks volumes.

And they're not all dead...  :preach:

22 minutes ago, buttock said:

It could just be the imaging, but the promise copy appears fresher.  

Yeah, hard to compare the Twilight with its dark background and dark imaging to the Promise with its backlighting and lighter imaging.  That could swing both ways, so makes a comparison difficult.  

Same thing with the w-ow of the Twilight and the w of the Promise.  Without actually seeing interior pages, hard to know how white they really are.