• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well, CGC is raising prices for their services, and...
14 14

553 posts in this topic

Thanks for the quick and definitive response. One more question. How do you suggest I value the comic? FMV keeps going through the roof. It is well read but complete and in reasonable shape considering...

28 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Pay for premium membership

Get the form filled out before April 28, get the book there by May 28

Send it to cgc as a submission for pressing and grading at whatever tier 

After ccs presses It it'll go straight to cgc from them not be sent to you until after cgc slabs it

Just now, Hownow53 said:

Thanks for the quick and definitive response. One more question. How do you suggest I value the comic? FMV keeps going through the roof. It is well read but complete and in reasonable shape considering...

Ya tier pricing can be complicated

Basically ship it under the tier you wanted insured for 1st or bar minimum

Then after that and within budget look at that tat estimation, and determine if you want it back sooner and go up tiers from there. :)

On 4/22/2021 at 3:38 PM, kimik said:

I am fine with the price changes, and would suggest to CGC that they raise the pre-screen price to 75% of the cost of grading. The reason is simple - less pre-screen submissions = more time spent on grading books by the graders. Doing that will cut down on the number of books being submitted by speculators that are not willing to take the time to learn how to grade on their own. 

Not sure I agree.

I am a professional grader and they still can reject books that should not be rejected.

Every-time a CGC grader rejects a book that should pass they are technically doing a big dis-service to you and CGC.  CGC does't make as much on that book and you pay $5.00 (soon $8.00) for a book that should have passed.

Over the past couple of years I  get more CGC 9.8's on regular submission than 9.8 pre-screen for the same books.  I rarely do Pre-screens anymore on Moderns.  They have been too inconsistent on what passes and rejects.  Case in point, in 2019 I took all my pre-screen modern rejects and subbed them regular slow-track modern and more than half of them came back the desired "passing grade" they should have months prior. 

I am not saying they need to be 100% perfect, and lets say you have a 100 book CGC 9.8 pre-screen and I disagree with less than 10% of the rejects thats is reasonable.  I am used to a 85-90% pass rate then all of a sudden I get 50% pass rate.  Then I have an issue.  

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 4/25/2021 at 9:38 AM, BrntWS6 said:

Just curious how you all box up large submissions. I usually do lots of 10 but was thinking I should send in 25 or more at one time.  Do you use multiple boxes or 1 large priority box?  Or is the CGC box you pay for the best way?

This time I sent in 25 and used two boxes and  put those two boxes in a bigger box.  I just dropped my 25 at the Post Office a little while ago.  
Now I just hope they get back to me before we colonize a moon around Jupiter.

9 minutes ago, CatskillMike said:

Should we expect there to be a lull in new submissions across the board after the 28th?

It looks like everyone in the world will be submitting before the cutoff, so maybe they can get stuff done during the possible Receiving downtime.

2 hours ago, CatskillMike said:

Should we expect there to be a lull in new submissions across the board after the 28th? 

April or May 28th?  There are a ton of invoices being printed out by 4/28 and an avalanche of books heading to Florida by May 28th.

I don’t mind the fee increases. Been expecting them for years.

I am even okay with the short time before the new prices start, as better to get a huge influx of submissions for only a few weeks, rather than continuing over a 2-3 month span.

I disagree with the 60% increase for prescreen reject fees, think that’s a bit overboard.

I STRONGLY disagree with the reduced upper tier and Dealer membership benefits, specifically dropping the discount. That’s a dickmove, and unnecessary. I hope they rethink that decision. 

Edited by djpinkpanther67

Has there been any discussion about the fact that CGC is removing the cap from the high-value walk through tier? For example, after April 28 an Action 1 in around 6.0 worth more than a million will cost more than $30,000 to have graded.

9 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Has there been any discussion about the fact that CGC is removing the cap from the high-value walk through tier? For example, after April 28 an Action 1 in around 6.0 worth more than a million will cost more than $30,000 to have graded.

No, and wow. That's a chunk of change and only in my dreams can I consider it

36 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think of all the people that said don't slab until you're ready to sell...

Too soon?:sumo:

time value of money. spending $1000 to slab 40 books in 2008 you still own? while there are archival, insurance, and quicker liquidity reasons to have it in a slab, that is $1000 you did not have the use of. How much could that have generated? This is one reason I was not slabbing. I didn't want to wrap a grand up in books I was not planning on selling any time soon.

5 minutes ago, the blob said:

time value of money. spending $1000 to slab 40 books in 2008 you still own? while there are archival, insurance, and quicker liquidity reasons to have it in a slab, that is $1000 you did not have the use of. How much could that have generated? This is one reason I was not slabbing. I didn't want to wrap a grand up in books I was not planning on selling any time soon.

I can definitely se that point of view

Having even less funds, and only having ever subbed at most 15 books.....at a time

Why wait until their worth more at all, as the cost to slab will as well go up.

Not that it's some regulation that if you buy a raw immediately have it slabbed, I'm not necessarily saying that lol

But I have raws that I dont plan to sell, and they've been piling up. I mean, I bought them due to my interest in collecting and or deal/value. I wouldnt necessarily say waiting is even a bad idea.

But by cgc raising prices or in turn the value of the comic, its prudent to time it right to slab, whether you're going to sell or not..... then there is the registry and etc. Just kind of ribbing the thought process to wait, but it had its validity; although less prudent in some cases

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Yes, it’s another fee adjustment I don’t think is fair (especially to dealers and those who aren’t rich but want to sub uncle Billy’s old FF1 to keep and preserve it. 

It will definitely affect wiggle room in respect to a high dollar book’s price point.

Will this cause an increase in people selling/consigning their collections to dealers and auction houses, rather than trying to do it themselves? 🤔

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

As with much of the clear concise CGC press releases I think this one flew under the radar.

No mention of the $5K cap disappearing.  No old fee structure table to compare the new one with.

57 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I can definitely se that point of view

Having even less funds, and only having ever subbed at most 15 books.....at a time

Why wait until their worth more at all, as the cost to slab will as well go up.

Not that it's some regulation that if you buy a raw immediately have it slabbed, I'm not necessarily saying that lol

But I have raws that I dont plan to sell, and they've been piling up. I mean, I bought them due to my interest in collecting and or deal/value. I wouldnt necessarily say waiting is even a bad idea.

But by cgc raising prices or in turn the value of the comic, its prudent to time it right to slab, whether you're going to sell or not..... then there is the registry and etc. Just kind of ribbing the thought process to wait, but it had its validity; although less prudent in some cases

well, yes, the value going up may increase the cost a lot, yes, but how many here anticipated any of these prices?

56 minutes ago, lonetree said:

I was surprised that the Modern tier still includes books back to 1975.  I keep expecting the Modern tier to be broken up.

isn't it about the width of the book? books got narrower then.