• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well, CGC is raising prices for their services, and...
14 14

553 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, awakeintheashes said:

What your describing has been happening with moderns books for a very long time. It’s nothing new. 

Makes sense.  Again, most of my experience regarding grading companies has been with sports cards.  Guess it took that hobby a little while to catch up.

7 minutes ago, Eric Perry said:

Makes sense.  Again, most of my experience regarding grading companies has been with sports cards.  Guess it took that hobby a little while to catch up.

It may have increased this year, but there are quite a few who have done well on 9.8 subscriptions. Would make sense that more would go this route to offset a loss of income. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

4 minutes ago, BrooksR said:
39 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Free memberships exist, I have one. You can send in your iron man comic with a free membership...

I didn’t know that, how do you get one?

Free membership is losing submission or doesnt have submission privileges, except for in house signings

3 hours ago, the blob said:

that is ridiculous. $8 to reject a book? WTF? Isn't it easy money for them to look at 20 books and decide 15 of them aren't 9.8s? 

Sounds like CGC wants to eliminate pre-screens. This may be phase 1 of that.

What's this?

I have to think about what I'm doing before I submit a book? I just can't submit a book Ive left on the back of the toilet in the house I'm sharing with five other guys without paying extra to get that 3.0 purple label because a little bic highlighter on the black spots makes the cover, just pop, ya know

1 hour ago, Tnexus said:

His website says he's on November books, so I wouldn't hold your breath

I always take that info with a grain of salt. He has never taken more than 2 months, but it is what it is. I do not mind, I set it and forget it. 20 books, 14 moderns and 6 economy (one might get bumped up a tier but I do not think the grade is high enough, we'll see...I never got tiered bumped before but I hear frequent tales of it now it seems).

12 minutes ago, joeypost said:

I’ll do my best, but this was just dumped in my lap. That what I get for not being on-line. 

Wow. 

it's all good

now get to work

1 hour ago, awakeintheashes said:

What your describing has been happening with moderns books for a very long time. It’s nothing new. 

It's not new at all, but I think the amount of people doing it now, flipping or trying to do it as a supplemental income has skyrocketed since covid hit

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I know I'm talking to myself here but maybe it'll help someone

I have good news

The grace period for when the new affect of prices goes into effect is a month from April 28th

So the rep said mine is set to auto renew may 25th which should put me before the May 28th deadline and I will get the current premium benefits

Sweet Timing on that renewal!!

2 hours ago, skybolt said:

Yes, and I also remember the $12 charge for modern grading. :)

Remember when you'd get a coupon for 4 Standard Tier books with your Premium membership?

I think it changed the year after I joined. I want to say I submitted a WD 1, Tec 411, FF 45 and a random modern book for a guy I worked with at the time because for the life of me I couldn't find a 4th I wanted to submit. Oh to be young again lol

Edited by Rhymenoceros

6 minutes ago, Rhymenoceros said:
3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I know I'm talking to myself here but maybe it'll help someone

I have good news

The grace period for when the new affect of prices goes into effect is a month from April 28th

So the rep said mine is set to auto renew may 25th which should put me before the May 28th deadline and I will get the current premium benefits

Sweet Timing on that renewal!!

I'm not so sure about that representatives knowledge on the subject, here highlighted is what the announcement has to say about it so we'll wait and see. I'd renew now, but it only asks about upgrade in membership, maybe since mine auto renews May 25th, maybeapril 25th itll let me idk

Screenshot_20210421-185727_Samsung Internet.jpg

7 minutes ago, the blob said:

ridiculous. the whole thing should cost $8 for a modern, including encapsulation.

Well, at $8 per reject, it is not worth sending in a book anymore without getting it graded as a reject fee is now 45% of the regular modern grading cost.

4 hours ago, innocuous said:

image.thumb.png.ce20253851841c47091a9f7517000b90.png

Looks like Associate membership is not worth $25.  I may remove my automatic renewal.  I never used CGC shipping kits.  I had ONLY one submission back in November 2020 (Express tier for one book) due to 4-7 months of backlogging and too many damaged books while encapsulating.  Too many books make the employees into the sloppy jobs.  Too many mislabels.  I backed off.

I totally understood why PSA chose to close to all future submissions after April 1st to allow themselves to catch up with all cards with their dignity, integrity and professionalism to avoid inconsistents and mistakes - get the pressure off their backs. Wise decision.

But did CGC make the wise decision to increase the prices?  I don't think so. 

Now, what's point for the membership benefits?