• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 12/16/2021 at 5:10 PM, DC# said:

Here is Session 2 of the Clink auction.   May throw up a companions between some of books from CL and CC auction for fun later this weekend.  

1949133690_ScreenShot2021-12-16at1_54_45PM.thumb.png.4bd01cd90127af5a6f146794b4c72496.png

780416508_ScreenShot2021-12-16at1_55_06PM.thumb.png.b63fec02c4a4f8862fd04b94b23b76d3.png

1894171248_ScreenShot2021-12-16at1_55_26PM.thumb.png.56f5eee2a32bef2abaff6e3615e58a44.png

414676380_ScreenShot2021-12-16at1_55_45PM.thumb.png.cace2acc0dbf35e1b707c82fb8c346e7.png

12261957_ScreenShot2021-12-16at1_56_05PM.thumb.png.0543863e988118c8c276dfe550f70f90.png

2084473639_ScreenShot2021-12-16at1_56_27PM.thumb.png.3aabe1e3e205fc7cf86bbea92fb3223c.png

1259929815_ScreenShot2021-12-16at1_56_50PM.thumb.png.18d41e7fb94ca3702e87cd92011d4d1a.png

Yep, lot's a 'dem ease up :D

Made a post like this in another thread as well, and it's just one old guys opinion and not worth the electrons it takes to write them on the screen, but personally I think there are two factors supporting comic prices right now, and when they are gone watch out below.  I think dealers are selling to themselves in auctions as they have always done, and the majority of current auction buyers are likely specs and not collectors, many of whom are gambling with money they can't afford to lose.  Unfortunately, when folks like that start to need to sell in a downward price environment . . . again . . . watch out below.  Might be years before the panic hits, but this old guy sees a major collapse coming.  Maybe even already starting.  Just to be clear, I'm not wishing this to happen just offering one old guys words of caution to anyone laying out serious coin right now.  Personally, I'm building cash, only buying things I never plan on selling, and making a list of what I'd like to buy if prices do actually take a serious downturn in '22 or '23.  Of course, I've been wrong about lots of stuff in my day (just ask my wife - she'll tell you that for sure) so maybe I'll be wrong about this.

On 12/18/2021 at 12:21 AM, lou_fine said:

With one key exception being GSXM 1, as I had already alluded to in a post from a few days ago:

Looks like it is still continuing its downward drift with this copy managing to hit only $37K in CC's auction tonight after the previous CGC 9.8 graded copy sold for $38,400 in Heritage's Signature Auction last month:  :frown:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/935661

x-m6.525_1.jpg

In this current environment, it would appear that the relatively huge number of GSXM 1 with over 200 slabbed copies already slabbed in CGC 9.8 has resulted in a situation where the supply is greater than the demand at this current price point.  Kind of makes me wonder what or when the equilibrium is going to be reach where the demand is going to equal the supply for this book, as I guess only time will tell.  hm  :taptaptap:

They have cooled in 9.8 but holding strong in 9.6 and 9.4 and even the 9.8 that just sold for $38K sold for TRIPLE what a 9.8 was selling for just 2 years ago. Still on fire for the majority of people that own one. 

On 12/18/2021 at 1:49 PM, Gregd said:

How are golden age Sandman comics doing? 

Don't think there is much of a link btwn GA Sandman to Neil Gaiman's Sandman and Death character hype.

End of days for the 'White Vision' down 71%:

On 12/18/2021 at 9:00 PM, LordRahl said:

There have been old guys like you saying the exact same thing you just said over the entire time I've been on this board, and I joined up 20 years ago. All I'm going to say is that I regret selling EVERY comic I've sold in that timeframe and I'd be a much richer man today if I hadn't. 

I think you are misinterpreting my comments, and the facts do not support your comment.  I believe the prices for comics will go up over a longterm, but over shorter periods there have been numerous downturns.  Looking at prices on GPA this has happened time and again.  Without question comics increase in value over a longer time period, but not always over the interim periods.

Edited by Laszlo the Mudjar

On 12/18/2021 at 7:22 PM, Laszlo the Mudjar said:

I think you are misinterpreting my comments, and the facts do not support your comment.  I believe the prices for comics will go up over a longterm, but over shorter periods there have been numerous downturns.  Looking at prices on GPA this has happened time and again.  Without question comics increase in value over a longer time period, but not always over the interim periods.

If you are saying that prices will dip and then go back up, then yes I misinterpreted your comments. I took them to be the prognostication of the always impending "GCC". My bad, apologies.

On 12/19/2021 at 5:43 AM, GermanFan said:

Right now vintage Lego is outperforming gold, vintage cars and stocks. Anyone who thinks this is normal and this could last should think again.

I went on Amazon to shop for a 9-year-old little cousin of mine and decided to browse Legos.  There is no longer any way to spend $50 or less on a Lego gift that isn't a tiny little box of nothing.  Anything the kid would get excited about costs hundreds of dollars, and that's the brand new stuff.  Clearly Legos are not for children any more.

On 12/19/2021 at 3:01 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I went on Amazon to shop for a 9-year-old little cousin of mine and decided to browse Legos.  There is no longer any way to spend $50 or less on a Lego gift that isn't a tiny little box of nothing.  Anything the kid would get excited about costs hundreds of dollars, and that's the brand new stuff.  Clearly Legos are not for children any more.

Same with GI Joe's. My son plays with them all the time. Anything that is not a current release is thru the roof :tonofbricks:

On 12/18/2021 at 5:58 PM, Laszlo the Mudjar said:

Yep, lot's a 'dem ease up :D

Made a post like this in another thread as well, and it's just one old guys opinion and not worth the electrons it takes to write them on the screen, but personally I think there are two factors supporting comic prices right now, and when they are gone watch out below.  I think dealers are selling to themselves in auctions as they have always done, and the majority of current auction buyers are likely specs and not collectors, many of whom are gambling with money they can't afford to lose.  Unfortunately, when folks like that start to need to sell in a downward price environment . . . again . . . watch out below.  Might be years before the panic hits, but this old guy sees a major collapse coming.  Maybe even already starting.  Just to be clear, I'm not wishing this to happen just offering one old guys words of caution to anyone laying out serious coin right now.  Personally, I'm building cash, only buying things I never plan on selling, and making a list of what I'd like to buy if prices do actually take a serious downturn in '22 or '23.  Of course, I've been wrong about lots of stuff in my day (just ask my wife - she'll tell you that for sure) so maybe I'll be wrong about this.

It might be years, but it’ll be right eventually.

On 12/20/2021 at 11:05 AM, aardvark88 said:

Does 'GCC' stand for the Global Comic Crash folks have been predicting for the last 22 years? Great Comic Correction in Jan, 2022?

Great Comic Crash, yes. It's been coming for 22 years as you say... still on it's way apparently, must have taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque, I'm sure it will be here any day now. 

On 12/20/2021 at 2:55 PM, LordRahl said:

Great Comic Crash, yes. It's been coming for 22 years as you say... still on it's way apparently, must have taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque, I'm sure it will be here any day now. 

No great crash just a pullback from the highs.  Look at the history for ASM 10 for the last two decades. It hit a new high in '03,'08,'11,'19,'20, and '21.  The recent high stands out as exceptional in its percentage.  Will there be a new high in '22?  I think not.  No crash just a normal pullback that might be high percentage wise compared to past high to low moves.

asm10.jpg

Edited by Laszlo the Mudjar

On 12/20/2021 at 3:12 PM, Laszlo the Mudjar said:

No great crash just a pullback from the highs.  Look at the history for AMS 10 for the last two decades. It hit a new high in '03,'08,'11,'19,'20, and '21.  The recent high stands out as exceptional in its percentage.  Will there be a new high in '22?  I think not.  No crash just a normal pullback that might be high percentage wise compared to past high to low moves.

asm10.jpg

You lose all credibility when you use ‘AMS’ instead of ‘ASM’ as the acronym for Amazing Spider-Man!

On 12/18/2021 at 9:05 PM, LordRahl said:

They have cooled in 9.8 but holding strong in 9.6 and 9.4 and even the 9.8 that just sold for $38K sold for TRIPLE what a 9.8 was selling for just 2 years ago. Still on fire for the majority of people that own one. 

GSX1 is a very common book that just happened to get caught up in the craziness of those could not afford an X-MEN 1 :headpat: - ..  yes the top tier graded copies remain solid but with so-so-so many copies in lower grades available this book like a lot of common bronze keys is highly influenced by even the slightest downward trends. If collectors as a whole stopped having short-term fixations on price changes from month to month - we might see less swings and more solid but incremental increases but that is like saying if people acted rationally as a whole and not like a mob etc... - never going to happen..  indeed most markets are all about perception and not reality based especially when it comes to something like a collectible. :preach: - my 2-cents

“Greed pulls people in, and fear pushes them out.”
 Naved Abdali

On 12/20/2021 at 11:55 AM, LordRahl said:

the sky is falling, the sky is falling!!