• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 12/16/2021 at 11:14 PM, lou_fine said:

To each their own, but even more mind blowing amazing to think that somebody would pay $30K for a copy of this book considering that there's already 175 slabbed copies of this book in this exact same graded condition.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

Wonder what the buyer will think 2 years from now after the new Spidey movie is long gone from the big screen and CGC clears up some of their massive backlog from their 100,000+ square foot holding facility and crank out a whole bunch more of this book in equivalent or possibly even in higher grade.  hm  (shrug)

Had no idea there were so many 9.8s on the census.  What are people waiting for?  Sell those bad boys!!!

Although there's still a few hours left to go, it looks like the spread is still widening between GSXM 1 and XM 94, with one of them continuing to rise while the other seems to be easing back down:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/935661

GSXM 1 finally moving up a bit now, but still at only $30K and quite a bit behind the X-Men 94 which has moved up to a record $72,111 so far:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/935594

x-m1.22542_1.jpg

On 12/17/2021 at 7:01 PM, LordRahl said:

Still climbing on X Men books I guess. X12 in 9.4 for $24K and 14 in 9.6 for $34K :wavingwhiteflag: that has to be a record for the 14 right?

With one key exception being GSXM 1, as I had already alluded to in a post from a few days ago:

On 12/12/2021 at 12:49 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, if you are speaking about GSXM 1 in your example here, then I would have to say that it has also soften in the uber high grade copies. :frown:

Looks like it peak out for CGC 9.8 graded copies in the spring and summer with sales in the $60K's and one for $72K in June, which was then followed by an easing in sales with a very short pit stop in the $50's before settling down into the $40K's, and now looks headed even further down into the high $30K's.  Still, no real complaints for the long term holders of this book as it was selling in only the teens back a short year ago for a CGC 9.8 copy, and no doubt the huge huge supply of this book in uber HG condition is having a dampening effect on prices up here. 

Looks like it is still continuing its downward drift with this copy managing to hit only $37K in CC's auction tonight after the previous CGC 9.8 graded copy sold for $38,400 in Heritage's Signature Auction last month:  :frown:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/935661

x-m6.525_1.jpg

In this current environment, it would appear that the relatively huge number of GSXM 1 with over 200 slabbed copies already slabbed in CGC 9.8 has resulted in a situation where the supply is greater than the demand at this current price point.  Kind of makes me wonder what or when the equilibrium is going to be reach where the demand is going to equal the supply for this book, as I guess only time will tell.  hm  :taptaptap:

On 12/15/2021 at 6:48 PM, lou_fine said:

On a more serious note, I find that the current comic book market can oftentimes seem more like the equity stock markets in terms of its volatility and how money can sometimes cycle around from one sector to the other, and not everything need to be either hot or cold at the same time in terms of its bifurcation.  hm  (thumbsu

Perfect case in point where so many of the relatively more recent so-called keys which are related to movie hype or high population count speculative books seems to be cooling off a bit as per some of @DC# charts, and yet the GA market still seems to be firing on all cylinders for now at least, with a perfect example being this GA book here which just sold in this past weekend's Heritage Sunday/Monday Auction:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/doc-savage-comics-10-street-and-smith-1942-cgc-fn-65-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122150-13426.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F2%2F0%2F4%2F25204496%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Sold for a rather astonishing $1,680 or some 4.3x OPG condition guide which is especially surprising for what is basically a non-key mid-run mid-grade non-classic cover GA book from a seemingly long running frigid cold GA title that used to sell for barely condition guide value unless it was a primo name pedigree copy.  :luhv: :applause:

I was recently told that a Doc Savage movie/series had been optioned. Could that be why? More speculation?

On 12/18/2021 at 5:30 AM, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

I was recently told that a Doc Savage movie/series had been optioned. Could that be why? More speculation?

Even if that rumour is true, since it's not part of the fan boy hyped MCU and not part of the readily available and easily found BA or SA books, I highly doubt that speculative interest would go back all the way to the GA Doc Savage books.  hm  (shrug)

Actually, from my own personal point of view, a much better comic book character to adapt to the big screen would be The Phantom, and there are definitely also a lot of comic books published on The Ghost Who Walks.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/18/2021 at 1:04 PM, lou_fine said:

Even if that rumour is true, since it's not part of the fan boy hyped MCU and not part of the readily available and easily found BA or SA books, I highly doubt that speculative interest would go back all the way to the GA Doc Savage books.  hm  (shrug)

Recent prices for Marvel Family 1 tend to point to hype that can go that far back...

On 12/18/2021 at 10:17 AM, _I_I_ said:

Is Doc Savage in the DC universe?

If you check his comic book publishing history, The Phantom is actually possibly in every single comic universe that's out there.  lol

The big one though and the one which we are talking about is Street & Smith, with its other more recognized character being The Shadow.  (thumbsu

On 12/18/2021 at 12:39 PM, lou_fine said:

I actually didn't mind the Billy Zane Phantom movie as much as it was panned and laughed at by most other moviegoers, but then maybe that's just me.  (shrug)

+1

On 12/18/2021 at 10:10 AM, dikran1 said:

Recent prices for Marvel Family 1 tend to point to hype that can go that far back...

Well, don't seem to see the same price increases on Adventure 48 or 61 with the first appearances of Hourman and Starman respectively, although I guess the prices on those two books are already pretty much in nosebleed territory relative to the popularity of their characters.  (shrug)

On 12/18/2021 at 1:43 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, don't seem to see the same price increases on Adventure 48 or 61 with the first appearances of Hourman and Starman respectively, although I guess the prices on those two books are already pretty much in nosebleed territory relative to the popularity of their characters.  (shrug)

Also The Rock

On 12/18/2021 at 1:43 PM, lou_fine said:

How are golden age Sandman comics doing?