• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,989 posts in this topic

On 12/13/2021 at 12:25 PM, lou_fine said:

Hey Clark;

Since these two auctions for the exact same book in equuivalent grade are pratically running right on top of one another, you probably should give it a shot anyways. hm

Especially since the high bidder will not be bidding on this go round, so it probably really comes down to how high the third bidder in line was willing to go last week, which in theory should be lower than the 17.5X OPG condition guide value. :wishluck:

image.gif.35b5578b27b1174777d5ea10badedfc9.gif

On 12/13/2021 at 2:24 PM, lou_fine said:

Would that also include all of those now worthless B&W comics from the late 80's along with all of those even less than worthless Wizard hyped toxic books from both Image and Valiant from the early 90's?  :tonofbricks:

Until you reach 3K in losses, then you have to stop selling.

On 12/12/2021 at 8:33 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Ain’t ease up no bit, ???

4222ABFA-0F89-49D5-8429-4D376CDA1C42.jpeg

I believe you would be correct in your statement here since this copy here sold for a whopping $9,200 earlier in today's CC Event Auction:  :whatthe:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/931507

ama1.40744.jpg

Especially since their last 2 CGC 9.8 graded WP Direct copies sold for only $5,100 and $5,300 respectively in August and October of this year.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

Very rare independent books continue to climb.   

Lou posted about this in another thread and I put it in the bronze heating up,  but a Cerebus 1 7.5 just sold over 7,000...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/cerebus-the-aardvark-1-aardvark-vanahem-1977-cgc-vf-75/a/122150-13331.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

On 12/15/2021 at 3:16 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Slightly off topic…

im no fan of clink’s auction site or their auction format, but based on yesterdays auction results, there’s no denying that original comic art prices are on fire 🔥 

I'm no fan of original art, so I wish the people who are driving up comic prices would move on to that. :p

On 12/15/2021 at 7:43 AM, Wolverinex said:

Very rare independent books continue to climb.   

Lou posted about this in another thread and I put it in the bronze heating up,  but a Cerebus 1 7.5 just sold over 7,000...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/cerebus-the-aardvark-1-aardvark-vanahem-1977-cgc-vf-75/a/122150-13331.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

I guess that 6.5 I lead you to is looking good now 

On 12/15/2021 at 7:14 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

not sure who’s driving up the price of comics these days.

As some others here would say, we need look no further for our benefactor and saviour.....................  (thumbsu :applause: 

Jim Halperin Bids Good Fortunes For Heritage Auctions

And as a long time collector, every night I thank my lucky stars and pray that his bidding fingers get a good nights rest and are ready and raring to go in the morning on another hard days "work".  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On a more serious note, I find that the current comic book market can oftentimes seem more like the equity stock markets in terms of its volatility and how money can sometimes cycle around from one sector to the other, and not everything need to be either hot or cold at the same time in terms of its bifurcation.  hm  (thumbsu

Perfect case in point where so many of the relatively more recent so-called keys which are related to movie hype or high population count speculative books seems to be cooling off a bit as per some of @DC# charts, and yet the GA market still seems to be firing on all cylinders for now at least, with a perfect example being this GA book here which just sold in this past weekend's Heritage Sunday/Monday Auction:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/doc-savage-comics-10-street-and-smith-1942-cgc-fn-65-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122150-13426.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F2%2F0%2F4%2F25204496%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Sold for a rather astonishing $1,680 or some 4.3x OPG condition guide which is especially surprising for what is basically a non-key mid-run mid-grade non-classic cover GA book from a seemingly long running frigid cold GA title that used to sell for barely condition guide value unless it was a primo name pedigree copy.  :luhv: :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/14/2021 at 11:01 PM, lou_fine said:

I believe you would be correct in your statement here since this copy here sold for a whopping $9,200 earlier in today's CC Event Auction:  :whatthe:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/931507

ama1.40744.jpg

Especially since their last 2 CGC 9.8 graded WP Direct copies sold for only $5,100 and $5,300 respectively in August and October of this year.  :applause:

I saw that too and was surprised by how much it sold for.  I'm assuming here, but I think whichever parties were bidding on this didn't realize that this is a direct copy and not the newwsstand copy which have sold for more in 9.8 condition.  I think a 9.8 newsstand sold for around this much recently... Rookies 

On 12/15/2021 at 7:45 PM, Dark Knight said:

I saw that too and was surprised by how much it sold for.  I'm assuming here, but I think whichever parties were bidding on this didn't realize that this is a direct copy and not the newwsstand copy which have sold for more in 9.8 condition.  I think a 9.8 newsstand sold for around this much recently... Rookies 

This was my first thought as well.  I guess we’ll find out after the next direct 9.8 sale :popcorn:

On 12/15/2021 at 4:48 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:
On 12/15/2021 at 4:45 PM, Dark Knight said:

This was my first thought as well.  I guess we’ll find out after the next direct 9.8 sale :popcorn:

Depends if it's on the same auction platform as one of the three major auction houses which are frequented by most of the more deep pocketed bidders, as opposed to a site like eBay where some of these same bidders don't even ever bother to go onto to look for their vintage collectible comic books.  (thumbsu

As for 2 or possibly more bidders not realizing what they are bidding on, when you are talking about close to 5-figures for a book, I find that kind of hard to believe when it's relatively easy by just looking at the front cover or even easier by just reading the big bold auction desciption comments on the side.  It's not like they are trying to figure out the difference between an authentic Cerebus 1 or Errie 1 from a counterfeit copy here, which would clearly be a much more difficult task. :facepalm:

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/15/2021 at 7:45 PM, Dark Knight said:

That is quite a "bit" of money for that comic book. Of course, when I decide to sell mine they'll be worth ... ... a lot less. :frown: