• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,173 posts in this topic

On 10/21/2022 at 10:50 PM, Steven Valdez said:

Collecting newsstand 'variants' reminds me of those guys who collect editions of records based on their slightly differing matrix numbers and not the actual music they contain. It's where things start getting creepy.

Good lord, I just left that hobby. I’ve met at least a dozen collectors through my record sales that are so audiophiled up about their music, they can apparently tell the sound quality difference between two different pressing plants (discerned by the matrix number) on the same years’ release. That’s just way too far down the rabbit hole for me.

On 10/26/2022 at 6:02 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Good lord, I just left that hobby. I’ve met at least a dozen collectors through my record sales that are so audiophiled up about their music, they can apparently tell the sound quality difference between two different pressing plants (discerned by the matrix number) on the same years’ release. That’s just way too far down the rabbit hole for me.

That sounds exhausting. 

On 10/26/2022 at 5:00 PM, Ryan. said:

That sounds exhausting. 

Dealing with those people was also equally exhausting. I love music - collecting it in that way seems like it would ruin it. Imagine nitpicking every sound and having an opinion on every release of one single album. Ugh. 

On 10/26/2022 at 6:21 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

C’mon. Substitute the word “sound “ with “little defect”, the word “release” with “variant” & “album” with “issue”.....

My experience with the insane vinyl collectors has tempered my desires for 9.8s. I have learned to not care about my modern grades anymore.

On 10/26/2022 at 9:20 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

She-Hulk 1 is taking a bath right now. $200 for a 9.6

Was thinking of buying one, but I’m not sure it’s reached it’s bottom yet :insane:

But how can that be, since this copy here just sold for a record setting $2,306.90 a mere short month ago:  (:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/952675

sav3.315.jpg

On 10/26/2022 at 9:21 PM, Dr. Balls said:

My experience with the insane vinyl collectors has tempered my desires for 9.8s. I have learned to not care about my modern grades anymore.

I can tell the difference between a vinyl record with a scratch and one without. :)

On 10/26/2022 at 7:40 PM, DC# said:

So this just happened......and arguably much less attractive than the Pedigree Comics that went for $125k.

On 10/26/2022 at 8:54 PM, Microchip said:

Not a lot of easing going on right there.

Not for this CGC 9.8 graded copy here at least.  (thumbsu

The real question though is whether we are also seeing the same relative strength for this book in the shall we say more real world HG condition levels of say 9.0 to 9.6, or is this more of a graded label purchase by a CGC label chaser.  hm  (shrug)

To each their own, but if I was going to be spending this kind of big time moolah on a not so hard to find second highest graded copy of Hulk 181 (which I definitely would NOT be), I would have been more patient and waited for a much better presenting copy myself.  :)

On 10/27/2022 at 11:26 AM, lou_fine said:

Not for this CGC 9.8 graded copy here at least.  (thumbsu

The real question though is whether we are also seeing the same relative strength for this book in the shall we say more real world HG condition levels of say 9.0 to 9.6, or is this more of a graded label purchase by a CGC label chaser.  hm  (shrug)

To each their own, but if I was going to be spending this kind of big time moolah on a not so hard to find second highest graded copy of Hulk 181 (which I definitely would NOT be), I would have been more patient and waited for a much better presenting copy myself.  :)

There is no actual 9.9 

9.8 is the top grade 

On 10/26/2022 at 9:40 PM, DC# said:

So this just happened......and arguably much less attractive than the Pedigree Comics that went for $125k.   Though this one is a real pedigree book....

2076786617_ScreenShot2022-10-26at7_39_47PM.thumb.png.9c707f1fdf8492ebdcee2c817d9e92da.png

945627690_ScreenShot2022-10-26at7_40_05PM.png.b48d0c26331de985700540e97898901a.png

I get the feeling anybody spending this kind of money on this book is really rich and has "money to burn" so to speak.  If the value drops to like 45K, you just shrug your shoulders, yawn a little bit and move on. ..More like chump change to these rich people. 

Edited by musicmeta

On 10/27/2022 at 11:47 AM, thehumantorch said:
On 10/27/2022 at 11:07 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

There is no actual 9.9 

9.8 is the top grade 

Mint   10.0 0 0 0 0   0
Mint   9.9 1 0 0 0   1
Near Mint/Mint   9.8 136 0 12 0   148
Near Mint +   9.6 345 2 26 7   380

On 10/27/2022 at 12:08 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

Isn't the 9.9 ginked though? Corner crunch that would keep it from ever getting 9.9 again?

Well, I think we all know this already and although I have not seen the new "damaged" version of this CGC 9.9 graded copy myself, it seems that some who have say that it would even have a problem grading anywhere in the 9's unless a lot of hopeful and wishful magical work could be successfully performed on the book.  :(

If you are viewing it from the ACTUAL book condition POV though, as opposed to the graded label case that's enclosing the book, this off-centered miswrapped Suscha News pedigree copy might then also be a wolf masking itself in 9.8 sheep's clothing from a strict visual POV, especially when compared to the other CGC 9.8 graded Suscha News Collection copy.  hm  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/26/2022 at 1:17 PM, alexgross.com said:

one way to do that is to put either or both of them on ignore. 

it's made my experience here better, not having to read what 3 or 4 know-it-alls have to say about everything. and i'm sure ignoring me has made it better for some of them too!

Is there a way to put yourself ignore?I’d like to not see or read my own posts

On 10/27/2022 at 1:47 PM, musicmeta said:

I get the feeling anybody spending this kind of money on this book is really rich and has "money to burn" so to speak.  If the value drops to like 45K, you just shrug your shoulders, yawn a little bit and move on. ..More like chump change to these rich people. 

It has to be.  Somebody told a bunch of these people that investing in comic books was a good idea so they are all bidding against each other.  Unless somebody is trying to buy EVERY 9.8, the music will eventually stop and the price will correct.

On 10/29/2022 at 5:39 AM, mjoeyoung said:

It has to be.  Somebody told a bunch of these people that investing in comic books was a good idea so they are all bidding against each other.  Unless somebody is trying to buy EVERY 9.8, the music will eventually stop and the price will correct.

Hasn't this been the narrative with Hulk 181 for 30 years? There are a ton of copies and prices can't remain so high? There is a mysterious warehouse with thousands of high grade copies that will flood the market? 

But it continues to be the top book of the BA. 

Spending this kind of $$ on a comic is out of my league, so I can't speak to the mentality of people who do. And of course the price may fluctuate as we head through choppy economic times. I just wouldn't bet against 181 long term.