• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2023 at 7:24 AM, g-man said:

just looked at heritage and a similar copy sold for $228K back in August 22....and in 2021 an 8.5 sold for $132K

Same Truckee Meadows copy that sold in CL last night.  Almost sold for the exact same value it sold for.  I was surprised that it went that high when practically all of the other SA age keys thus far went for much lower than previous.  A FF #1 in CGC 8.5 condition roughly sells for $150k and under before the pandemic.

On 3/2/2023 at 9:45 AM, buttock said:
On 3/2/2023 at 8:58 AM, WolverineX said:

I would say the FF1 did  poorly compared to prior sales

I think the more accurate way to phrase this is that the prior sales were unrealistic.  I mean it's an 8.5 SA book.  

Yeah that CGC 8.5 FF 1 copy that sold for $350k was an anomaly.  Since then, practically all of the 8.5's that sold later have sold for less.  It was one of those "first to the market" books in that grade during the pandemic at that time from what I recall.

On 3/2/2023 at 4:40 PM, alexgross.com said:

this will be my last post on the subject. your initial post said that the explanation for collectors getting into pulps now is misogyny. not that it was the reason many of them were created in the first place. if the latter is your assertion, you could do with a lot less words and a bit more clarity. 

if, in fact, that was your position rather than a misstatement, then it is as ridiculous as asserting that collectors of war covers like the ones below are racists or anti-semites. although such a person may collect books like these, most collectors who want these books want them because they are a time capsule of a unique historic moment. and the cover art is also astonishing. as it is on many pulps, regardless of what the cover features. schomburg's fantastic story is the only pulp i own and yes the woman is scantily clad. it does not make me or any of the enormous number of collectors of schomburg's work a misogynist. 

The meanings of words are changing. The word "misogynist" doesn't always mean what people say it means anymore. 

It's become a flexible "catch all" phrase along with many other words to accuse and incite in the court of public opinion. 

I collected old romance comics for years. In many if not most of those comics, today, the men today would be called....you guessed it...misogynists.

Except the way romance was portrayed in those comics of yesteryear is the same romantic relationships that the women I know want today. 

Does that make these women misogynists? :D

Wait, what?

Exactly. 

On 3/2/2023 at 9:45 PM, jimjum12 said:

I just had to look up "misogynist" ... perhaps that means that my soul is still pure ... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I found out about the word when a rock band, the Groundhogs, had a song called I Love You Miss Ogyny. Of course I thought it was a name at first.

On 3/2/2023 at 9:56 PM, comicnoir said:

I found out about the word when a rock band, the Groundhogs, had a song called I Love You Miss Ogyny. Of course I thought it was a name at first.

I had a Mom and three Sisters, so I guess I never had a use for misogyny ... I must, however, confess, I AM fascinated by hot looking chicks. GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

That's pretty impressive, while prices are generally down ComicLink does get some crazy bids on HG Silver and Bronze. For books that are in demand and only come up for sale a few times a year it only takes 2 to push up prices.

Well, my TTA #90 9.6 sold for $2,800. 

This time last year a 9.6 sold on HA for $5,500. 

Granted, the HA copy had white pages and a better cover wrap but I don’t know that that would account for a whole 50% off. 

So for me personally, yeah they ease quite a bit.  

Is CVA becoming a thing now?  I roll my eyes at it, but CAC stickers on slabbed coins is seen as a legit indicator and collectors pay more for it.  Of course it's headed up by the guy who started PCGS.  I'm not sure who's behind CVA.

On 3/3/2023 at 1:27 PM, Rob said:

Is CVA becoming a thing now?  I roll my eyes at it, but CAC stickers on slabbed coins is seen as a legit indicator and collectors pay more for it.  Of course it's headed up by the guy who started PCGS.  I'm not sure who's behind CVA.

I think Mark Haspel was involved in some way. That's what I heard anyway. GOD BLESS ...