• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,169 posts in this topic

On 1/16/2024 at 1:25 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

I've picked up several this past year. They're out there if your search is wide enough and you're hustling.

I am looking for primary pre 1975 material. It just isn’t around like it was as recently as maybe 6 years ago. There is a lot of stuff post this period that turns up. Admittedly, I don’t hustle as hard as I used to. At this point, I’d rather have a few good books as opposed to loads of lessor books. 

On 1/16/2024 at 7:04 PM, Robot Man said:

I am looking for primary pre 1975 material. It just isn’t around like it was as recently as maybe 6 years ago. There is a lot of stuff post this period that turns up. Admittedly, I don’t hustle as hard as I used to. At this point, I’d rather have a few good books as opposed to loads of lessor books. 

I hear ya. The ones I've turned up have had that stuff in it, but it wasn't the majority.

Best find was a collection of 800+ books from the 60s-70s, with the later 70s stuff in yellowed bags stuck together. When peeled from the bags they were press-fresh. Amazing condition.

On 1/16/2024 at 10:54 AM, jimjum12 said:

Doing shows full time isn't the "dying and going to heaven" that many think it is. It's WORK. My observations from a mail order perspective is like yours, that the collector market, i.e. the run builders and readers, is still healthy, particularly the $5 -$50 crew. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

image.thumb.png.0a5c01bd7cd0ab7964c8b7546e4d7753.png

I would sure agree with this. And yeah, it can be a lot of hard work. Making a lot of small money sure adds up. I have said it many times, unless you bought and kept MANY years ago or stumbled into a nice load nobody gets rich selling comics or other collectibles.

Selling comics can be fairly easy. Price it as you find it, and organize it as you go. Comes down to just basically taking the lids off your boxes and taking the money. Bring a bit of everything to a show. Everything sells at the right price.

This week I am organizing to do a vintage toy and advertising show. Much harder as things need to be wrapped and packed. I have a pretty good idea what my customers come to me for. But sometimes a carp shoot. I have customers for Howdy Doody to Cowboys up to ‘80’s stuff. Got to bring the right mix. My best sellers are vintage space, monsters and Disney and Disneyland stuff. Gas, oil, soda and beer stuff also sells fast especially signs. I make a lot more selling comics and work a lot less but I really love the other stuff as well.

Edited by Robot Man

On 1/16/2024 at 4:13 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

I hear ya. The ones I've turned up have had that stuff in it, but it wasn't the majority.

Best find was a collection of 800+ books from the 60s-70s, with the later 70s stuff in yellowed bags stuck together. When peeled from the bags they were press-fresh. Amazing condition.

Over the million years I’ve been doing this, I have made some amazing finds like that and better.

At this point in life, I just pay up a little more and take the good stuff. More than happy to leave the other stuff for you younger hustlers…:preach:

On 1/16/2024 at 4:27 PM, jimjum12 said:

I'm not exactly active ... one post really drains me, it would be funny if it wasn't :bigsmile: but it does keep my foot out of my mouth more. GOD BLESS ....

Good to see you up and crawling again Jim! Keep it slow but steady. I am very grateful to be able to still do what I want. Hang in, you will beat this!

No reply necessary. 

On 1/16/2024 at 7:31 PM, Robot Man said:

Over the million years I’ve been doing this, I have made some amazing finds like that and better.

At this point in life, I just pay up a little more and take the good stuff. More than happy to leave the other stuff for you younger hustlers…:preach:

Ha! 'Round these parts you're not scoring ANY good stuff from me. :wink: Like you, I pay a fair price to get the better things but I don't leave anything behind. I wouldn't want to be stuck with so I don't stick people with it, at least when buying from individuals. Also, I'm not sure I'm THAT much younger than you are. :smile:

Edited by Chip Cataldo

On 1/16/2024 at 6:27 PM, jimjum12 said:

I'm not exactly active ... one post really drains me, it would be funny if it wasn't :bigsmile: but it does keep my foot out of my mouth more. GOD BLESS ....

Hello JimJum.  Happy to see you posting again.  No need to respond. :)

Can't speak for anyone else but my bids are getting blown out of the water so far at the current CL auction, including a bunch of bids on tonight's books that are getting torched one by one. Still really early but rumours of prices tanking right now appear to have been greatly exaggerated. 

On 1/23/2024 at 8:07 PM, Stefan_W said:

Can't speak for anyone else but my bids are getting blown out of the water so far at the current CL auction, including a bunch of bids on tonight's books that are getting torched one by one. Still really early but rumours of prices tanking right now appear to have been greatly exaggerated. 

I was bidding on a slabbed Strange Adventures #217 9.4 (O/W) last night in the HA auction, and put in a bid that I thought was WAY above what the final hammer would be. The book ended up going for $1080 after the BP.

Now, I will grant that it's a Neal Adams cover, and that there aren't many in the census (34 universal), and that the black cover makes the book exceedingly difficult to find in higher grades period (only 3 graded 9.6, good luck finding raws in decent shape) - but I was flabbergasted. A 9.2 went for $86 in 2022, and a 9.0 went for $80 earlier this year.

I see that, and think: "Huh, prices definitely aren't falling."

But then a slabbed Green Lantern #87 9.2 (OW/W) went for $575 - almost half of recent sales and FMV.

I don't know what to make of prices anymore. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

EDIT:

Just won a number of books on CLink for about half of my maximum bids. Yay I guess.

Edited by Kripsys99

On 1/24/2024 at 2:59 AM, southern cross said:

That Astonishing looks like 2020 prices. Thinking not having straight white pages was a factor as well.

Yeah! It put me off going any higher. 

On 1/23/2024 at 8:59 PM, southern cross said:

That Astonishing looks like 2020 prices. Thinking not having straight white pages was a factor as well.

A white pages sold for around $459 back in November, another white pages sold for $463 that November, and yet another white pages sold in October for $491.  Maybe they're just dropping in price/demand.  If you really want it to drop to pre-2020 prices, I think you'll have to wait for it to drop into the $300s.

On 1/23/2024 at 9:03 PM, batmiesta said:

Someone needs to tell this geezer.

Astonishing tales 25 9.6 ebay.

lol.  No comment.  Of course it is a "or best offer". lol.

Edited by Telegan

On 1/23/2024 at 10:03 PM, batmiesta said:

Someone needs to tell this geezer.

Astonishing tales 25 9.6 ebay.

Hahaha you're talking about one of the most notorious over-pricers on eBay.  That's just one example, everything he lists is priced like he's holding the book for ransom.  Not a pleasant guy to deal with, either.

The whole business model for some of these guys is to wait for that one person who's desperate and/or uninformed enough to do something crazy.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 1/24/2024 at 12:35 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Hahaha you're talking about one of the most notorious over-pricers on eBay.  That's just one example, everything he lists is priced like he's holding the book for ransom.  Not a pleasant guy to deal with, either.

The whole business model for some of these guys is to wait for that one person who's desperate and/or uninformed enough to do something crazy.

There are alot of threads about him. 

If I remember correctly he's perfectly legit. Long time collector who sets high prices and doesn't mind waiting. 

(I hope I'm not confusing him with any of the more nefarious sellers we have threads about)