• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,947 posts in this topic

On 6/25/2022 at 6:53 AM, KirbyTown said:

Give inflation some more time 😜 it's going to be gradual for sure.

Exactly.  It'll drop more when people realize that today's price is the highest it's going to be and holding any longer will mean lower prices.  Then the liquidation starts.  I predict it won't completely drop to pre-pandemic levels, but rather what you would expect 2022 prices to be compared to 2019.

On 6/26/2022 at 6:40 AM, Rob said:

Exactly.  It'll drop more when people realize that today's price is the highest it's going to be and holding any longer will mean lower prices.  Then the liquidation starts.  I predict it won't completely drop to pre-pandemic levels, but rather what you would expect 2022 prices to be compared to 2019.

It has to start somewhere. And of course it starts with the uberabundant drek.

On 6/26/2022 at 1:29 PM, Motor City Rob said:
On 6/26/2022 at 12:35 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Can someone help me understand where the idea that DD #1 is falling in value is coming from?

Here are some data points for 9.4:

Expand  

Maybe the 9.4 is an exception but I just looked at GPA and most grades seem to be falling. Are you seeing the same thing?

There's different straters of buyers.  I've seen where quite a few books perform completely differently in grades under $1,000, than they do at $,1000 > $3,000, and onwards, and upwards.   It's almost like separate markets at play.  Guys battle it out for books inside their dollar bracket.   The lower, mid-grades get a heck of a lot more movement, and then the price-grade ratio of a book gets out of whack, when you look at all the grades of book, and the sales/price movements.   A book can loose ground in one grade area, but gain price in another grade.   There's no linear relationship at work, just these price brackets pushing things along.    We see it in the reports, the % changes are different for each grade.  

On 6/26/2022 at 5:37 AM, Microchip said:

There's different straters of buyers.  I've seen where quite a few books perform completely differently in grades under $1,000, than they do at $,1000 > $3,000, and onwards, and upwards.   It's almost like separate markets at play.  Guys battle it out for books inside their dollar bracket.   The lower, mid-grades get a heck of a lot more movement, and then the price-grade ratio of a book gets out of whack, when you look at all the grades of book, and the sales/price movements.   A book can loose ground in one grade area, but gain price in another grade.   There's no linear relationship at work, just these price brackets pushing things along.    We see it in the reports, the % changes are different for each grade.  

You are definitely right about that.  I collect high-grade books, so there is a lot of accepted wisdom on these boards (for example, the "price-per-point" system some people use quite often) that has no applicability to what I'm trying to do.

On 6/26/2022 at 11:23 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

You are definitely right about that.  I collect high-grade books, so there is a lot of accepted wisdom on these boards (for example, the "price-per-point" system some people use quite often) that has no applicability to what I'm trying to do.

Ditto.  I use to use a price ratio from 9.4 to 9.6, to 9.8.  I've had to throw those ideas completely out the window.

Edited by Microchip

I would rather use the word "correction" as opposed to "drop". The spike in comic prices are a combination of hype (not a negative term), COVID-19, investor involvement, and market manipulation. And just like the market, if investors begin to pull out, there will be a correction. I wish we could see when an investment group/company purchased a comic. I'd add an asterisk next to each one of those sales. As for Markey manipulation, reference WATA/Heritage Auction (video below).

On 6/25/2022 at 7:35 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Can someone help me understand where the idea that DD #1 is falling in value is coming from?

Here are some data points for 9.4:

On 6/25/2022 at 8:29 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Maybe the 9.4 is an exception but I just looked at GPA and most grades seem to be falling. Are you seeing the same thing?

I should have clarified low- to mid-grade. High grade SA keys are out of range for many collectors, even with an occasional dip. 

i sold a few graded books this weekend (via auction) on ebay. i had looked at prices about two weeks ago when i knew what grades i was getting.

most if not all the books sold this weekend did better than the last sale price i had looked up two weeks ago.

in many instances that last sale price i saw was a may 2022 price point

On 6/27/2022 at 1:06 PM, jsilverjanet said:

i sold a few graded books this weekend (via auction) on ebay. i had looked at prices about two weeks ago when i knew what grades i was getting.

most if not all the books sold this weekend did better than the last sale price i had looked up two weeks ago.

in many instances that last sale price i saw was a may 2022 price point

I wish Jim 83 , hulk 1 we're dropping down but they both keep going up.

On 6/27/2022 at 11:27 PM, Troy Division said:

I wouldn't count the $2247 sale as a valid data point.
It was not 'sold' and eventually relisted.
(the 'winner' of the original auction had ZERO feedback and the seller's listing / photos are exactly the same)

I could only presume to know why the original winner bid so high...but do see a repeat bidder (3985 feedback) with 32% of their bids being with this seller.
(They also have 26 bid retractions in 12 months...)
Again, I can only presume to know about that second bidder's behavior too.

Capture 1.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

Capture 3.JPG

Nice catch, seems like pretty clear market manipulation at work here. 

On 6/28/2022 at 6:38 AM, Stefan_W said:

Nice catch, seems like pretty clear market manipulation at work here. 

I had thought of that but didn’t look into it because this seller always relists as they have so much inventory. 

but the zero feedback bidder is pretty good evidence of fishyness.

On 6/28/2022 at 10:23 AM, faster friends said:

I had thought of that but didn’t look into it because this seller always relists as they have so much inventory. 

but the zero feedback bidder is pretty good evidence of fishyness.

Even without the zero feedback bidder, the other bidder who always bids up his books and then retracts is pretty good evidence.