• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,947 posts in this topic

On 6/25/2022 at 4:06 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:
On 6/25/2022 at 3:55 PM, Microchip said:

The surprising result for me, was the SS #4, 9.6.  At $11,250

Or they didn't like the top right corner. 

Good spotting!

I was looking for Heritage style defects in a 9.6.   Generally it presents very well, as you would expect, but there's something funky going on with that corner, but I can't tell exactly what.   I wouldn't drop $12k to find out though (thumbsu

On 6/25/2022 at 12:55 AM, Microchip said:

The prices for FF #48-50, and SS #1,3,4 have looked to be reasonably linked lately.

On that point, there hadn't been many strong movie characters left to spec on before the Fox transfer, so regardless of their blue chip status I currently file the cosmic Kirbies under movie speculation 👽🏄‍♂️🤙

On 6/25/2022 at 5:56 PM, KirbyTown said:

On that point, there hadn't been many strong movie characters left to spec on before the Fox transfer, so regardless of their blue chip status I currently file the cosmic Kirbies under movie speculation 👽🏄‍♂️🤙

It was looking like a two horse race, 181, and 48.   But 181 will charge ahead (as per usual) alone for a while.  Let's see how it plays out for the second half of the year.

On 6/24/2022 at 5:22 PM, Rob said:

When we saw prices rise just as quickly, are you really surprised they would drop just as fast?

For most books, the drop in prices is not nearly as fast as how quickly they rose. Also, almost all big keys are still significantly higher than pre pandemic prices.  The only surprise for me is that books have not dropped more than they already have.

On 6/25/2022 at 8:10 AM, Motor City Rob said:

For most books, the drop in prices is not nearly as fast as how quickly they rose. Also, almost all big keys are still significantly higher than pre pandemic prices.  The only surprise for me is that books have not dropped more than they already have.

Give inflation some more time 😜 it's going to be gradual for sure. The demand has to fall far enough to make it evident that these inventories aren't going anywhere, then prices will decline as Fools liquidate. This is a separate track from the high-grade super keys which are always going to do their own thing. If you've got money to spend on record-setting stuff then you're unlikely to be fretting in any economic situation and can pay what you choose.

Edited by KirbyTown

On 6/25/2022 at 9:10 AM, Motor City Rob said:

Reality is still settling in.  My guess is first high pop glut stuff, then modern non-true key stuff will approach and possibly even test pre-pandemic thresholds especially when not 9.8w.  If I sold comics with post haste I would be getting rid of my; 1991 X-Men's 1 &4 , Spawn 1, ASM 361,362,365, X-Force 1, Spider-Man 1, Venom Lethal Protector 1 and even Harbinger 1 . This time next year it may be difficult to even "give away" most of those books.

Edited by MAR1979

On 6/24/2022 at 8:25 PM, DC# said:

Here are the Session 1 results.   Highly unlikely I am going to recap the later sessions this time....but we will see.    And you are getting a lot of red.   You can also just see the lower values between last and 90 Day on the GPA data.   

515420178_ScreenShot2022-06-24at11_20_25AM.thumb.png.3b4265b811373859e9fa3833db21fd4f.png

1767097244_ScreenShot2022-06-24at11_20_41AM.thumb.png.48ecf55a3f9a26eb1f9f97e518a97b05.png

532749753_ScreenShot2022-06-24at11_21_04AM.thumb.png.02eeaf4787a008939649ffdb1d15ab13.png

1323476607_ScreenShot2022-06-24at11_21_52AM.thumb.png.7e2287ffe935d6ca47b1606e2758f21b.png

1448302238_ScreenShot2022-06-24at11_22_10AM.thumb.png.5913b4ed9e91435b4d9e526c072753c8.png

Red wave.

On 6/25/2022 at 12:21 AM, KirbyTown said:

The daily-renewed six month to two year glut of coming slabs provides ever present proof about the incoming endless supply of slabbed comic books. This supply is apart from the incoming dump of speculative raw hoards from those Fools who rightly choose to liquidate their failed gamble before their car, dwelling etc. Illegitimate demand will disappear, but both the fresh stuff and the glut of speculative raw supply will always remain. Not enough people are legitimately interested in back issue comic books, and there's now access to more supply than ever and always will be, and as long as people are submitting to CGC we have hard proof that it's not going to stop. I mentioned the numbers in a previous post, but it's 8 million total, 1.5 million last 12 months, 1,200 wolverines a year, 300 caps. Those numbers don't work even if speculative demand remains let alone disappears.

And think of the stock auction houses and dealers have put away from the market to pretend scarcity. At some point they will be forced to liquidate. Its like with the De Beers Diamonds. They only seem to be scarce because De Beers controls the market. They are not. With comics of course there are exceptions. But most comics, even GA, are not that rare. Most ECs for example.

Edited by GermanFan

On 6/25/2022 at 6:10 AM, Motor City Rob said:

Been tracking Daredevil prices for three years as I assembled a 1-300 run, and prices for major keys have plummeted in the last few months. A 168 (first Elektra) in 9.8 just sold for around $2K, when there were multiple sales of over $5K (which is absurdly high for this key) just a few months prior. Ditto for 1 (I’ve never seen so many copies for sale at one time). 

On 6/25/2022 at 7:30 AM, alexanderjk said:

Been tracking Daredevil prices for three years as I assembled a 1-300 run, and prices for major keys have plummeted in the last few months. A 168 (first Elektra) in 9.8 just sold for around $2K, when there were multiple sales of over $5K (which is absurdly high for this key) just a few months prior. Ditto for 1 (I’ve never seen so many copies for sale at one time). 

A very cool book but very common. There are tons of very high copies out there and even more in lower grades. Even 2K for a 9.8 seems pretty stiff to me but then I bought mine off the newstand…

On 6/24/2022 at 6:59 PM, Beige said:

On paper the next Heritage auction tomorrow looks like a bloodbath - however it is such a weak auction - very few books of high quality, that it will be difficult to tell.

I think there is an Avengers #1 7.0 and Tec #38 1.5 as possibly the 2 'best books'

Lot of modern drek, and a heap of ungraded stuff.

May see a few buyers step in as some books are at 2020 prices with 24 - 36 hrs left.

There is a feeling that maybe global economies have accepted what they have to do, and share prices are beginning to stabilise after a horror month. Oil is down. The ASX was actually UP 1.6% this week.

My feeling is that for genuine key books, we are near the bottom - at 2021 prices, and that things will settle.

For one off movie books and books with thousands of high grade copies - not so much.

This weekend may see the best chance for a few bargains, before prices claw back a bit over the rest of the year.

2c

The collectibles market across thew board is hyper inflated. Expect a dramatic shift next year. 

On 6/25/2022 at 8:41 AM, Robot Man said:

A very cool book but very common. There are tons of very high copies out there and even more in lower grades. Even 2K for a 9.8 seems pretty stiff to me but then I bought mine off the newstand…

On 6/25/2022 at 11:00 AM, Motor City Rob said:

Yes, the Daredevil 168 9.8 selling for under 2k was a big surprise.  In general, I think it will be good for the hobby for prices to balance out from where they have been the past 2 years.

Hoping the market has finally corrected on this one (and 131). Sold a 9.6 three years ago for $1500, and recently bought one to fill that hole for $1K. Was wild that a 9.8 168 was selling for more than a mid-grade 1. 

On 6/25/2022 at 2:34 PM, alexanderjk said:

Hoping the market has finally corrected on this one (and 131). Sold a 9.6 three years ago for $1500, and recently bought one to fill that hole for $1K. Was wild that a 9.8 168 was selling for more than a mid-grade 1. 

#2 is still hot.

On 6/25/2022 at 3:48 PM, comicnoir said:

#2 is still hot.

Some outliers, for sure. 7 and 16 seem to be holding steady, too. Biggest drops seems to be 1, and the Bronze/Copper Age keys: 131, 158, and 168. 

Edited by alexanderjk

Can someone help me understand where the idea that DD #1 is falling in value is coming from?

Here are some data points for 9.4:

On 6/25/2022 at 10:35 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Can someone help me understand where the idea that DD #1 is falling in value is coming from?

Here are some data points for 9.4:

Maybe the 9.4 is an exception but I just looked at GPA and most grades seem to be falling. Are you seeing the same thing?