• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,947 posts in this topic

On 6/12/2022 at 4:10 AM, Lpgk said:

The great great majority fall back down, some slightly, some dramatically.

I use Eternals #1 9.8 as my ultimate movie POP! example as the prices went up until the moment of the release date...then waited for the weekend enthusiasm which didn't come...and then began the decline. Had a $3800 high on May 10, 2021; Most recent sale $900.

Is there really enough legitimate interest in a 1976 Kirby Eternals #1 to justify even $900? I don't personally think so, not exactly an uncommon book, I just see in that price someone's hope for an Eternal's future. 🤷‍♂️

And speaking of common books, the thing about comic supply is that it can only INCREASE. Unless we go all Ray Bradbury, where are these books gonna disappear to rather than keep getting brought to market?

Eternals release date:

Nov-05

A0259BEB-CAD1-4E71-84A6-1AE14FF932EF.jpeg.f13df095cd8fd8f56943da282addb9c7.jpegB2305288-39D9-4A75-BC3C-1986893FE3AB.jpeg.92c3e9f8fe483b3da2e1a7e4a78647d7.jpeg

A01564BE-4034-4D0E-BC74-34946CE6DED1.jpeg.2c9cd5db53c2ef3623102f94d2002a12.jpeg

Edited by KirbyTown

I remember conversations years ago of people saying there are stacks of BA books stashed away in warehouses that are waiting to be unleashed. Are people still spinning this yarn?

On 6/22/2022 at 2:44 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I remember conversations years ago of people saying there are stacks of BA books stashed away in warehouses that are waiting to be unleashed. Are people still spinning this yarn?

Ah yes, the Comilluminati; if those guys are still around surely they'd be dumping now. And where are these magical climate controlled warehouses that only store key comic books missing from the market?

It's true that warehouse finds do get found, and historically people have decried the books' lack of perceived rarity over books that haven't been found in warehouses!

I doubt anyone's aware of anything they may be sitting on at all, let alone doing so for any reason that concerns comic book enthusiasts.

96B01B43-4A01-41C7-89A4-6356B48B1D47.webp.01359c9599a1b3d7d48977018c6235b0.webp

ex. A shunned book.

On 6/22/2022 at 2:03 PM, KirbyTown said:

Ah yes, the Comilluminati; if those guys are still around surely they'd be dumping now. And where are these magical climate controlled warehouses that only store key comic books missing from the market?

It's true that warehouse finds do get found, and historically people have decried the books' lack of perceived rarity over books that haven't been found in warehouses!

I doubt anyone's aware of anything they may be sitting on at all, let alone doing so for any reason that concerns comic book enthusiasts.

96B01B43-4A01-41C7-89A4-6356B48B1D47.webp.01359c9599a1b3d7d48977018c6235b0.webp

ex. A shunned book.

I have only seen one “warehouse find” and it was like 60 copies of Monsters on the Prowl 12 that had been strapped so tight, every book was damaged either in the front, sides or spines. Shattered my fantasy of warehouses full of Giant Size X-men #1s.

On 6/22/2022 at 7:54 PM, PKJ said:

I would like to report, I must be trying to get the same books as others who do not realize prices are suppose to be ease by now. Pretty sure I set a high on a Hulk #3.

I understand what you're saying. I believe that the 70-100 Marvel Super Keys will always respond as their own category because they will always be in legitimate demand regardless of the market. It's the rest of comicdom that stands to crash, all of the unjustifiably high-priced non-key books that Fools overpay for at garage sales and the "forced key" books that go viral after a youtube video or social post claims them be so because of some imagined movie cameo etc. The six Hulks will always be coveted no matter what price they're going for. (Hope this is what you meant?)

Edited by KirbyTown

On 6/22/2022 at 9:22 PM, KirbyTown said:

I understand what you're saying. I believe that the 70-100 Marvel Super Keys will always respond as their own category because they will always be in legitimate demand regardless of the market. It's the rest of comicdom that stands to crash, all of the unjustifiably high-priced non-key books that Fools overpay for at garage sales and the "forced key" books that go viral after a youtube video or social post claims them be so because of some imagined movie cameo etc. The six Hulks will always be coveted no matter what price they're going for. (Hope this is what you meant?)

I agree and that was sorta my point, I did think the grade and market conditions might draw up a bargain but that assumption was not close tonight.

On 6/22/2022 at 7:22 PM, KirbyTown said:

That would be an interesting thread: top 100 Marvel Keys.

On 6/23/2022 at 5:31 AM, piper said:

https://jasonbeam.com/500keys/

I did this list probably 8-9 years ago. I'm sure out of date on some stuff, but that was my old collecting focus.

On 6/23/2022 at 5:39 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I did this list probably 8-9 years ago. I'm sure out of date on some stuff, but that was my old collecting focus.

100 is interesting because you would see Bronze, Copper, and even Moderns on the list, not just the same 12-15 SA keys…

On 6/23/2022 at 6:31 AM, piper said:

On 6/23/2022 at 6:39 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Great list! FWIW, the marvel supers I usually mention are those that, when considering the sales information only, would provide easy justification for shelling out $100-200 for a poor or even an incomplete at this particular moment. This may seem a cold criteria, but I'm usually making critique of the market and these values prove a solid demand over the history of the hobby and currently an immediate and more legitimately justifiable value range with serious liquidity. For Marvel these are all silver age except for about 10 bronze, which makes sense because the original, uncommon, universe establishing material has held up the best. They transcend the trends (fads, but that doesn't rhyme).

Edited by KirbyTown

On 6/22/2022 at 9:43 PM, PKJ said:

I agree and that was sorta my point, I did think the grade and market conditions might draw up a bargain but that assumption was not close tonight.

I have my eye on a few things wrapping up at CLink shortly, and I keep thinking "Come on, market collapse! Let's go!" So far...I'm not seeing it. Then again, I'm looking for weird random things, which will always find their own way. 

On 6/23/2022 at 8:54 AM, KirbyTown said:

Some big weird stuff will never go back down, just ask Rifleman #10.

I cling to the fantasy that one day I'm going to find that book in an antique mall or yard sale. I run into beaten up western titles all of the time, but that book is never there. One day!