• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,953 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Motor City Rob said:

This book in 9.8 has always been way more valuable than Hulk 181. Last sale of Marvel Spotlight #5 9.8 was back in 2016 for $48k. Hulk #181 9.8 sold for $13k back then. So, MS5 is 3 to 4 times more valuable. Fast forward to today, last 181 9.8 sold for $48k, so $150k for MS5 is right on track...but I agree there is still sticker shock!

Yeah exactly! MS5 in top grade being of more value than 181 is not exactly breaking news. Meanwhile Ghost rider is not more important han Wolverine and 181 will always be the most impactful book of the BA. I'll guess that MS5 ends up around 180k. If a decent looking 181 9.8 were in this auction it would likely do significantly better than 48k imo. The 180 9.8 is at 30k at the moment.

11 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah exactly! MS5 in top grade being of more value than 181 is not exactly breaking news. Meanwhile Ghost rider is not more important han Wolverine and 181 will always be the most impactful book of the BA. I'll guess that MS5 ends up around 180k. If a decent looking 181 9.8 were in this auction it would likely do significantly better than 48k imo. The 180 9.8 is at 30k at the moment.

Yeah, just supply and demand 101 at work. 

On 6/11/2021 at 5:45 PM, MGsimba77 said:

We should have a clearer picture of this in ~ 8 days when the current HA auction closes. There's an IH180 9.8 that I think may be a good bellwether ending a bit sooner. We shall see.

Well, it's at $30K with 17 hours left, so at the very least that book is holding steady.

27 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

Well, it's at $30K with 17 hours left, so at the very least that book is holding steady.

I was referring to the IH180 9.8. It's at 36k with not much to go.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/superhero/the-incredible-hulk-180-marvel-1974-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7244-91009.s

2 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I really wish a couple of these new big money buyers would come on here & talk about their purchases.   

Yeah. Would be interesting. The top thing I want to know is if you won a MS5 for 264k what was your real max? Like are you just prepared fo go to whatever price because you’re that rich and don’t care anymore, just want the book in a 9.8 and will do whatever it takes? Or were you crunching the numbers and got the book at the very top of your budget? Because when you get into this territory you have to have people that literally have no budget that you’re bidding against, whereas if I’m bidding on a 2.0 of a MS5 im always bidding against others with budgetary constraints.

3 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I really wish a couple of these new big money buyers would come on here & talk about their purchases.   

I bumped into the guy that dropped $30K on a Special Marvel Edition 15 9.8 on facebook.

Unfortunately I'd run my mouth too much over the crazy price paid, so he wasn't saying much by the end of things :shy:

11 hours ago, wiparker824 said:

264k for MS5 didn’t shock me as much as 90k for a Silver Surfer 4. 

The MS5 was sitting at 180k when internet bidding ended. I didn't bother to check the bid count so I don't know how many more bids before hammer. Wonder where that Surfer 4 was at the end of the internet portion?

Has anyone else noticed comics not really moving as much during the weekdays?  Over the past couple weeks, I've made literally zero eBay sales Monday-Friday but still making plenty of sales on the weekends.  Prior to this, I was selling just as much during the week as on the weekends.  Obviously this is very anecdotal, but I'm curious, have any other sellers around here had a similar experience recently?

13 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

The price paid is a drop in the bucket for the people paying 90K for TMNT1s, 250K for MS5s, etc. It literally doesn't matter to them at all whether the hammer is 100k or 200k when the difference only moves their bank/brokerage account for a couple percent

Edited by rsouxlja7

Collectors market opinions right now:

"I want books for my collection" = Market is going to crash

"I am so happy I already own most of these books = This is a market correction

"Stop crying, you sniveling :censored:! Stop your nonsense."  = Daniel Plainview 

image.png

Edited by NewWorldOrder