• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,944 posts in this topic

My favorite thing about this topic...  "Are prices still climbing or have they ease up a bit???"

Is that "ease up" and "climbing" can be the same thing.

The sloth climbed to a higher branch in the tree.

The sloth eased up to a higher branch in the tree.

Are prices still going up or are they going up??? :kidaround:

How has demand been? I realize price is generally determined by supply/demand, but as I'm preparing to sell off my collection of SA Marvel keys, I'm a little disheartened to see a couple of sales threads here with books very similar to my own not really generating any action. For example there are two mid-grade ToS 39s available right now; in the past it seemed like those would get scooped right up, but now they just sit in their threads, unmoving.

Edited by mackenzie999

On 10/14/2021 at 9:13 AM, mackenzie999 said:

How has demand been? I realize price is generally determined by supply/demand, but as I'm preparing to sell off my collection of SA Marvel keys, I'm a little disheartened to see a couple of sales threads here with books very similar to my own not really generating any action. For example there are two mid-grade ToS 39s available right now; in the past it seemed like those would get scooped right up, but now they just sit in their threads, unmoving.

What is "action" on the CGC sales board except a buy it now?  

If keys are sitting on the boards it is because there is no meat on the bone for a dealer or the seller is priced too high.  

Quail bone margins btw are not meat on the bone.  

I'd buy Tales of Suspense #39's from board sellers if they gave me a "fair" deal.  Consignment margins btw are not "fair".  Consignment margins are better when the seller consigns it and I pay you when it sells.   

Edited by blazingbob

On 10/14/2021 at 10:05 AM, blazingbob said:

What is "action" on the CGC sales board except a buy it now?  

If keys are sitting on the boards it is because there is no meat on the bone for a dealer or the seller is priced too high.  

Quail bone margins btw are not meat on the bone.  

I'd buy Tales of Suspense #39's from board sellers if they gave me a "fair" deal.  Consignment margins btw are not "fair".  Consignment margins are better when the seller consigns it and I pay you when it sells.   

Would you mind if I pm you to follow up?

Prices are still climbing, I would think.

I'm seeing more $5 bins than $1 bins lately.

In my LCS I was shocked to see FEAR 24 as a wall-book.

Awesome cover to be sure, but the price? $370 (!!!). Glad I already have a decent copy.

image.png

Edited by boppy99

I only have NYCC from the past two years to go by, as its the only show I've been to since NYCC in 2019, and it very much seems like $3 to $5 is the new dollar bin.  There were cheaper bins but they were generally filled with un-bagged rags, what was previously .50 stuff at best.  That being said, the $3 and $5 bins were chock full of really great stuff and I wish I had spent more time making piles but I was chasing down my X-Men list. I did a little digging, but could and should have filled a couple of boxes with really nice stuff.

On 10/14/2021 at 1:10 PM, speedcake said:

I only have NYCC from the past two years to go by, as its the only show I've been to since NYCC in 2019, and it very much seems like $3 to $5 is the new dollar bin.  There were cheaper bins but they were generally filled with un-bagged rags, what was previously .50 stuff at best.  That being said, the $3 and $5 bins were chock full of really great stuff and I wish I had spent more time making piles but I was chasing down my X-Men list. I did a little digging, but could and should have filled a couple of boxes with really nice stuff.

That sounds good.  Probably 10 dollar books mixed in there

On 10/14/2021 at 1:12 PM, Wolverinex said:

That sounds good.  Probably 10 dollar books mixed in there

Just from my little stack of thirty five books I pulled a few $20 books, and nothing valued less than $5 with many $10 to $15 mixed in. And that was on Saturday, long after they'd all been picked through for two days prior and with me not really paying alot of attention, just grabbing cool silver and bronze stuff as i quickly flipped through stuff. If I had gone all four days, and focused just on doing this I've no doubt I'd have come away with boxes of books. There were lots of deals there.

Edited by speedcake

On 10/14/2021 at 1:22 PM, speedcake said:

Just from my little stack of thirty five books I pulled a couple $20 books, and nothing valued less than $5 with many $10 to $15 mixed in. And that was on Saturday, long after they'd all been picked through for two days prior and with me not really paying alot of attention, just grabbing cool silver and bronze stuff as i quickly flipped through stuff. If I had gone all four days, and focused just on doing this I've no doubt I'd have come away with boxes of books. There were lots of deals there.

sounds really fun

On 10/14/2021 at 9:13 AM, mackenzie999 said:

My sales have steadily slowed down this summer and now are at a crawl. But I sold anything that jumped up in value this spring so I don't have any keys or hot books to sell. Looking at sales results though prices have dropped big. The forum sales thread is too small to take away much useful data. A seller wants full gpa fmv or higher without paying any selling fees and a buyer says well you aren't paying any fees so I should get books cheaper and not have to pay any tax either. Personally I wouldn't be looking to sell heavy. Books that haven't dropped as hard or don't look to have a bright future sure. Definitely wouldn't be selling any mutants or fantastic four right now. 

UF #4 taking an inexplicable upturn in 9.8 - have I missed something?

Your wish is my command, oh great one (worship)

Capture.thumb.JPG.9fd1c912522b866f275e9f9e3b40b343.JPG

Been stable at $2300 - $2400 then up it goes.  I wondered if I missed a movie announcement or something?  The Spidey sinister six / multiverse one?

I follow this book a lot as I have a couple, but mainly because it seems to go up and down for no apparent reason.

God knows where it will be when MM gets cast in a live action role. Or how low if he never does!

Speaking of rubbish TV adaptations and price tumbles - Y-The Last Man is on track to be the next 'sixth-gun' scale disaster!

Reviews / advance screenings were Sept 12th / 13th

Capture1.thumb.JPG.417724c2f1d84b05ebe68d6cb552a840.JPG

Capture2.JPG.795a7685a84637b1c2dc5461c4fb8ba5.JPG

I guess the message is - sometimes its better to stick with the original material!

Anything else you need - I'm back in an hour or two (thumbsu

Slap.gif.6fd86126e8c1d078e01bd38b236b8fc1.gif

This "when will they ease up" mentality has been the most boring and frustrating time for me as a collector. I always took the advice from various collecting hobbies to heart. "buy the rookies first" "buy what you love" etc.. I am glad I did but now I can't really justify the entry point of starting another run of books. The prices "easing up" are mainly books that had a high velocity of sales, so the books easing up had huge volumes IE moderns, Bronze keys, warehouse books (FF48) and post 70's Spidey books. I never really chased the high volume keys because they were never much of a chase, you could hit a couple shops and find them. ( I am sure some GA collectors find it amusing I am talking about SA books like they are hard to find)

I even got bored  and bought out a chunk of low grade early FF books while telling myself FF 1 and 5 will come down a bit and I can put it together but then BOOM FF4 to the moon. It's things like seeing FF4 jump up that have kept me from buying, if the rapid increase of value is from investing it seems irrational and almost every thread where I have seen someone posts a copy of FF4 starts some type of speculative discussion. I bought books because I believe I wanted them and will always want them, so if someone is buying them because they believe they will go up I feel like I am lumping myself into a demand group that cannot sustain. The more everyone talks about price, speculation and volatility the more it seems to  becomes that, irrational, and now I'm talking about it!

I did love picking up that chunk of early FF books and flipping through them though so maybe I need to disregard some previously adhered to advice :takeit: