• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,953 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Darkseid of the Moon said:

I had to google what MOASS means.

I think I get what you guys are talking about.

So some of you think the new made millionaires will have affect on market prices going to an all time high bc of bidding wars, and some think MOASS will cause the bubble to pop?

Is my understanding of this correct?  All I know is l need some MOASS.  Sorry couldn't resist :sumo:

I do agree that home and various investments will suffer as a result of a MOASS / hedge fund / bank meltdown.
After 2008 there was a drop in comic pricing but it quickly recovered by 2010.
(in my opinion due to The Walking Dead hype leading into general Image Comics spec)
Those comic collectibles with little historical value (for example, whatever hot this week 1:100 variant cover is or first appearance of new batman bad guy) will suffer the most.

Yes, in theory, if MOASS occurs I foresee new millionaires battling it out for grail / high grade collectibles.
Who wouldn't want to own an all time classic cover (ASM 300 or DKR 1 for me) for a million dollars over the last sale if those new millions, again in theory, cost you just two shares of [insert name here] stock original purchased at $XXX dollars?

3 minutes ago, umyeahwhatevers said:

I do agree that home and various investments will suffer as a result of a MOASS / hedge fund / bank meltdown.
After 2008 there was a drop in comic pricing but it quickly recovered by 2010.
(in my opinion due to The Walking Dead hype leading into general Image Comics spec)
Those comic collectibles with little historical value (for example, whatever hot this week 1:100 variant cover is or first appearance of new batman bad guy) will suffer the most.

Yes, in theory, if MOASS occurs I foresee new millionaires battling it out for grail / high grade collectibles.
Who wouldn't want to own an all time classic cover (ASM 300 or DKR 1 for me) for a million dollars over the last sale if those new millions, again in theory, cost you just two shares of [insert name here] stock original purchased at $XXX dollars?

There will be new millionaires, but most of the market will crash as hedge funds liquidate their assets.  Who knows if these WSB guys will even want comics or dump their stuff into more stocks or rare nintendo games, or whatever... they aren't the same demographic as sports card guys....

21 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

There will be new millionaires, but most of the market will crash as hedge funds liquidate their assets.  Who knows if these WSB guys will even want comics or dump their stuff into more stocks or rare nintendo games, or whatever... they aren't the same demographic as sports card guys....

Very true.
Primarily I see an uplift in new car, truck, boat, and home sales (which may help soften the bubble pop) from the gains.
I then see an uplift in high-grade video games, MTG cards, Pokemon cards, comics, and comics art prices as a way to 'invest' in commodities.
The reason for my opinion is that there is a vocal portion online that openly state / pledge that they will not be reinvesting their new monies into the U.S. stock markets after this if those hedge funds / banks that put the markets in this position get a bailout (again).
Again, this is all theory at this time, and remind me in 6 months.

I just saw some copper and bronze age Marvels Books just sell at auction for multiples of past prices.

Like an Uncanny X-men #300 CGC 9.8 (Silver Holofoil) just went for a whopping $143, when you could buy those a dime a dozen for $30 - $50 just a few months ago!

Also looks like Marvel Premiere #1 is going higher too.  8.5 just sold on ebay for $713 Edit: looks like MP#1 BIN are priced very high too.  I didn't think it had increased that much!  Jeez!  I'm still beaten myself up for not buying a few 9.4/9.6 for $500 on MyComicShop back in the day, bc I thought they were priced too high.  Doh!

Edited by Darkseid of the Moon