• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP Greg Eide
2 2

23 posts in this topic

Man, that suks. I was passing through the area a few years ago and stopped into his store. We had a nice conversation and he gave me a very friendly discount on a few books. Very nice guy.

Damn covid claims another victim. Things might seem like it is looking up but we are not out of the woods yet. Wear your mask and get your shots! 

30 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Damn covid claims another victim. Things might seem like it is looking up but we are not out of the woods yet. Wear your mask and get your shots! 

Definitely sad to hear. 

At 69 years old, he would have been eligible for the vaccine long ago......so it does makes me wonder what the circumstances were.

Wow that is awful. When I travel I always hit local shops up, last year I was able to visit Eides and bought a good amount of Bronze books and random run fillers. Was a true old school feel and he was very nice as we chatted a bit.

I was in his store once years ago. The selection was jaw dropping, especially compared to the measly Philly Comic shops. I've also purchased lots of books from him on eBay. Great service and grading.

May he rest in peace. Very sad news. :(

Such sad news and giant loss for the local comics retailing community.

Greg was definitely part of one of the biggest controversial threads and news stories in the history of the CGC boards - the sale of a Detective 27 to another dealer in the Pittsburgh area 14 years ago.

The original CGC thread ran for pages and the story was one that a Netflix documentary could be made of - a Detective 27, coming into a local shop, supposedly being sold by one of the most notorious characters in comics dealer history, etc.

Here is the short version of the original thread, with videos clips of the original story/controversy back in 2007:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/147528-whatever-happened-with-eides-and-the-detective-27-scandal/#comments

Rest In Peace, Greg. What a cool shop!! Great place to start of the day before walking across the Roberto Clemente bridge to see a ball game at PNC park! 

I have fond memories bringing in my 1 yr old son, Isaac(iko)  and sifting through the dollar bin on the 1st floor! Or going downstairs and talking shop with Jim or another assistant.

I still own many key comics I picked up from Greg. He sold me a Star Wars #1, (1977 1st print) raw for $30, and it slabbed a 9.2 after press! early fantastic four run of #44-47, the entire run of the first Deadpool kills marvel universe, countless x-men keys from the dollar bins..early Harley Quinn.. 

In the basement there was the long boxes by the stairs.

all ripped or well read,many coverless books My buddy found a coverless hulk 180 for a quarter!! We found so many gems in those boxes beat to hell and coverless!

all this was between 2010-2014 when I could still afford collecting keys!!  

I’m a Pittsburgh native (squirrel Hill, shady side). I’ve been fairly loyal to Todd Mcdevitt regarding the Tec 27 fiasco. There is a lot of  speculative information floating out there but if you really want to talk to the source. Todd is often at his Elwood warehouse and you can talk to him personally.  

I don’t want to throw shade anywhere as I have the upmost respect for Greg and Todd but yes, there could easily be a Netflix documentary concerning the tec 27!!

Rest in Peace brother, may the great beyond welcome you with open arms. Go stillers!

I first visited Greg's original store in Etna PA when I was 14. Living in the South Hills of Pittsburgh, my Dad would take me on my bi-annual pilgrimage with saved  allowance in hand. Still remember my Dad getting on my case when I walked out of the store with a coverless Avengers #2 and #4 that I'd paid $12 for.  As I grew older his store on Federal Street, his second store in Squirrel Hill and then Penn Ave became my regular weekly comic shop. When I became a father, my three kids would accompany me as they'd inherited their Dad's love of comics. Over the years I bought substantial new and older books from Greg including FF#1.

When I moved east of Pittsburgh, I started going to another local shop but would visit Eide's when I was downtown.

RIP Greg. You will be missed. My condolences go to your friends, family and employees.

This name sounds familiar. I have a feeling I may have dealt with him in the past. Great experience, if I'm correct. But either way I'm saddened at another loss of life, and another man down in our community. My thoughts are with his family and friends at this difficult time and that they come together and help themselves heal as a group, as is best for each of them.