• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Comic Art Show
4 4

264 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, rlextherobot said:

I could be nuts, but it seems like to me as an idle viewer that the majority of the art sold is purchased by the same handful of buyers. Can that be sustainable? Is it possible this entire model is being propped up by a few well to do collectors? 

No.

I know it seems that way. There is a click of collectors and dealers.

But there is money coming in from serious collectors and investors.

I’m seeing it.

We could have a very productive run of buying and selling for many more years. Now more then ever you must CYA. Make smart purchases. Cull the chafe from your stagnant collection.

Wallets are open.

Art is finding its way out of hidden portfolios. This is an exciting time to be a collector.

8 hours ago, TheLostDreams said:

If you make an average salary (40k to 80k a year) and don't really have art to trade is it really worth it to go to shows like the recent LA comic art show, SD Con?  I don't think it is...

I think you should ask yourself what is it you like about the hobby? I go to lots of shows, but rarely buy from dealers there because most of their stock is on line (although some pieces are really better, or worse, when seen in-person). But, what isn’t on line are the artists who show up with their personal stashes of stuff they decide to sell, or artists doing commissions, or some reps and dealers who may have something coming up or not yet posted and from whom you can get first dibs on. Also, it’s simply fun to hang with these people and chat. One of my most memorable chats was with John Byrne in—ready—1980. Most artists love to discuss their work, and some tell great stories. You ought to hear Chaykin let it out when he feels comfortable. And, since you will be looking at piles of material, you never know when something pops up and surprises you. I never spend outsized money on this hobby because I won’t buy as an investment and don’t sell. So yea, go. 

I agree with @grapeape  The benefit of the show for me was connecting with about 8-10 people I had met virtually over the past year. After meeting in person, grabbing a bit to eat for happy hour, and chatting for hours, we have a very active group text and have communicated everyday since. 

If anyone on here is going to Torpedo later this month or NYCC in October, definitely keep me in mind. We are an inclusive bunch, and it has been awesome to connect with folks in a hobby a lot of other friends wouldn’t understand. 

5 hours ago, Xatari said:

I agree with @grapeape  The benefit of the show for me was connecting with about 8-10 people I had met virtually over the past year. After meeting in person, grabbing a bit to eat for happy hour, and chatting for hours, we have a very active group text and have communicated everyday since. 

If anyone on here is going to Torpedo later this month or NYCC in October, definitely keep me in mind. We are an inclusive bunch, and it has been awesome to connect with folks in a hobby a lot of other friends wouldn’t understand. 

“Torpedo”?

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

“Torpedo”?

A show up in LA at the Hollywood Palladium

July 23-25

Comics and original art

S C O T T  W I L L I A M S

Frank Miller

Jim Lee

Sienk

Tim Vigil

Frank Cho

Heritage and CGC will be there for you to off load your comics and art.

The Dealmakers will be there!!!

I went to the show in 2019 and the Palladium venue was a very nice set up. I found the six foot Ditko Spider-Man poster I’ve been looking for all my life there.

Edited by grapeape

Numerous pleas to

• activate the algorithm 

• grow interest in the field

• hit the 👍 button

292 subscribers 

8 👍 

1 👎 

Some confusion over a moment of tribute for film legend Richard Donner possibly confused with the Donner party ☠️ as soon Jeffrey Dahmer got mixed in? Someone signaled outrage and left. 

We had Bobby Brown mentioned and not the artist but the singer guy that was married to Whitney. The dealmakers would prefer we stay on point Marcus but hey, it’s your “Prerogative!”

We had CGC graded art which sparked “how do we know it’s legit if it’s not CGC art?” for the rest of the show.

I think the all Gil Kane Green Lantern was the best piece of the night:

offered at $6500

asked to let go at $5500

countered at $5800 ( that was an easy one if ya really want it no?)

Different buyer offer at $5700 accepted by Bechara

Time cut down to :45 seconds to hawk your dealer art

Without hesitation live chat outraged “not enough time after banging :60 for three weeks straight as too long.”lol

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

A show up in LA at the Hollywood Palladium

July 23-25

Comics and original art

S C O T T  W I L L I A M S

Frank Miller

Jim Lee

Sienk

Tim Vigil

Frank Cho

Heritage and CGC will be there for you to off load your comics and art.

The Dealmakers will be there!!!

I went to the show in 2019 and the Palladium venue was a very nice set up. I found the six foot Ditko Spider-Man poster I’ve been looking for all my life there.

Yeah, from what I’ve heard, it is one of the best shows of the year. Sort of like SDCC used to be before the transformation into “all things pop culture”. Truly a comic and comic art show. 

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

We had CGC graded art which sparked “how do we know it’s legit if it’s not CGC art?” for the rest of the show.

You are welcome!

I thought the Kaluta Galactus was the best piece of the night.. and I think the X-men 2x up was actually a dare I say bargain! 

3 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

You are welcome!

I thought the Kaluta Galactus was the best piece of the night.. and I think the X-men 2x up was actually a dare I say bargain! 

Jay 😂 
I thought the Kaluta was right up there. Actually saw that one up close at the LA show.

yes agreed the X-Men was a page that makes you say, “wonder if they’ll have another surprise bargain next week?”

Thats the key. Whatever art they put up either

1) has to be so Awesome that the ask is not questioned 

2) the dealers have to be able to give in on some of the pieces and let the collectors take some of the profit with the piece. That’s what always moved pages for me to get deals done. Let the other guy win a little.

I felt some “let’s break some stuff” energy on the live chat. My attention between the comments and the art were equally divided 😂 maybe 60 chat 40 Artlol

48 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Jay 😂 
I thought the Kaluta was right up there. Actually saw that one up close at the LA show.

yes agreed the X-Men was a page that makes you say, “wonder if they’ll have another surprise bargain next week?”

Thats the key. Whatever art they put up either

1) has to be so Awesome that the ask is not questioned 

2) the dealers have to be able to give in on some of the pieces and let the collectors take some of the profit with the piece. That’s what always moved pages for me to get deals done. Let the other guy win a little.

I felt some “let’s break some stuff” energy on the live chat. My attention between the comments and the art were equally divided 😂 maybe 60 chat 40 Artlol

If I was not in the process of buying a house.. I would have bought the kaluta without hesitation, and I was even going to make an offer when I should not be buying anything lol

I thought it was great that they cut the time down.. if they have no desire to be entertaining like other shows.. then go with the hard and fast claim show. I will admit , in that format I will be less likely to tune in when cash is tight unlike the other show. 

And I agree 100% - If you want someone to make a snap decision.. the art needs to be "oh my god I will regret not buying this for the rest of my days" or "that is really cool.. and the price is great!"

The chat is where its at!! I like to cause problems and have fun... so take my comments with a grain of salt lol. 

3 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

The chat is where its at!! I like to cause problems and have fun... so take my comments with a grain of salt lol. 

Live chat is awesome. I’d appreciate more commentary on the art. A bit of cheerleading is like getting a comment on your grail post on CAF (great! Awesome!) but not really helpful.

But comments like “that sold at HA in 2014 for $4500” or “you marked that up 1k since the LA show” is not only useful but also keeps expectations and reality in sight.

Even if you loathe the Dealmakers, no 🛑 especially if you find Dealmakers problematic live chat makes a difference. I believe the offerings were better and the price “adjustments” better because you guys are demanding a quality experience(even if you don’t believe the show will get there).

I’m with Jay the live chat alone is worth wasting an hour of your life.

Next weeks show I expect demands of :05 seconds to champion the claim piece and then folks will scream it’s not enough time.