• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Comic Art Show
4 4

264 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

Ruben's claim show was quite good. I'm not sure how many viewers he had during the live show, but I would tune in again. The DM show is lacking something. 

There were good buys in Ruben's sale; passed on a couple so a friend could get them.

https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=217805

8 hours ago, Race said:

Let's be honest here, the folks participating this are significantly lacking a basic presentation/acting skillset, nor are they visually suited for media. The biggest problem holding this back from being a success, however, is control. The show needs 1) a --script and director so the audience can be properly engaged and retained throughout, 2) some standards imposed on the products presented, and 3) to incorporate audience comments (which to date have been far funnier than anything said by the presenters or dealers) in real time. All of this wouldn't take much effort, but it would entail Will or Bill taking time away from their real jobs. It would certainly raise the chance of longer term success, but who knows whether they want to put in the work.

“visually suited for media”? 😂🤪

Guest Race

Another suggestion would be to invite a well-known artist or writer on, only sell titles they were well affiliated with/made famous, and comment as the pieces are presented. Seeing their own work after an absence of a few decades would definitely provoke some interesting reactions... 12-13 years ago, I spoke to Gene Colan for an hour at one of the lightly attended northern NJ shows. His insights about his past work and artists now working on some of his iconic characters was fascinating. If you did a show with Sal Buscema, for example, and sold Sal's work on Hulk while also selling Tim Sale's or Dale Keown's, it would be incredibly cool to hear his opinion as to whether he likes their versions or not.

12 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

Ruben's claim show was quite good. I'm not sure how many viewers he had during the live show, but I would tune in again. The DM show is lacking something. 

Agreed on Rubén’s show. He got some cool art I hadn’t seen before, and offered nice deals. Like that very nice Larsen Savage Dragon/Spawn page for 1k. I had to watch afterwards because of a trip that weekend, but that’s one I’m tuning into going forward. The commenters and buyers were cool folk, too. 

2 hours ago, Race said:

If you did a show with Sal Buscema, for example, and sold Sal's work on Hulk while also selling Tim Sale's or Dale Keown's, it would be incredibly cool to hear his opinion as to whether he likes their versions or not.

This is a really good idea, except: there is a perception (preference?) that it's not right to go negative in any way in this hobby. Somebody's feelings will be hurt. I don't agree with that perception/preference but...people do enjoy a good snark, as long as it's not directed at them. I don't think there's a way to get around that.

2 hours ago, Race said:

Another suggestion would be to invite a well-known artist or writer on, only sell titles they were well affiliated with/made famous, and comment as the pieces are presented. Seeing their own work after an absence of a few decades would definitely provoke some interesting reactions... 12-13 years ago, I spoke to Gene Colan for an hour at one of the lightly attended northern NJ shows. His insights about his past work and artists now working on some of his iconic characters was fascinating. If you did a show with Sal Buscema, for example, and sold Sal's work on Hulk while also selling Tim Sale's or Dale Keown's, it would be incredibly cool to hear his opinion as to whether he likes their versions or not.

Not a bad idea, but not as a claim show. (a) why would most artists bother to come unless they could hawk something of theirs? (b) that would take a lot of time and cut into the dealers' attempted sales of pieces; (c) assumes that the dealers have enough of Sal's pieces to sell; (e) not everyone likes Sal's work (calling Zhamlau...), thereby excluding a lot of potential buyers, and (f) could inferentially result in an attack on another artist, if honest, and that is even rarer than a dealer attacking a dealer. With their words being recorded, you are at, at best, likely to get something like: "Dale's art is very good." Or, as in a discussion I once had with Howard Chaykin a few years ago, he said he doesn't care what other artists' work looks like.

I agree with Vodou. You need snark. Or, true bargains.

Guest Race

Who said anything about an attack? ALL artists and writers have opinions about the work of others and these opinions are valid. As far as the hobby goes, all art is subjective and therefore subject to natural criticism. Some people hate Kirby, others defend him to the death, but what is important is having rhe conversation and debating the merits. I personally hate all the overly sexualized women in OA; every time I open CAF and see scantily clad women with breasts totally out of proportion to their bodies (usually amateurish comissions) in the new art section, I constantly think who buys this trash? However, the people who DO buy these pages/drawings find merit in them. I would certainly welcome an open debate with some of the leading lights of comics to discover how they feel about this particular topic, and that is just one of out a thousand I can think of to debate. Critism and debate is a healthy part of ALL art, and is present in every other artistic field. It should be present here, too.

3 hours ago, Race said:

No artist is going to badmouth another artist

11 minutes ago, Race said:

Who said anything about an attack? ALL artists and writers have opinions about the work of others and these opinions are valid. As far as the hobby goes, all art is subjective and therefore subject to natural criticism. Some people hate Kirby, others defend him to the death, but what is important is having rhe conversation and debating the merits. I personally hate all the overly sexualized women in OA; every time I open CAF and see scantily clad women with breasts totally out of proportion to their bodies (usually amateurish comissions) in the new art section, I constantly think who buys this trash? However, the people who DO buy these pages/drawings find merit in them. I would certainly welcome an open debate with some of the leading lights of comics to discover how they feel about this particular topic, and that is just one of out a thousand I can think of to debate. Critism and debate is a healthy part of ALL art, and is present in every other artistic field. It should be present here, too.

I think that, in part, you are confusing the art with the artist. I also think it is a common mistake. By way of your example, I am not a fan of Kirby. Where some people see kinetic energy on a piece, I often see disorganization and impossibly positioned people or actions. But, I have also seen pieces by Kirby that I like, although they are rare during the 1960’s which most people do like. Similarly, I have expressed disdain for Richard Dillion’s work, but then I saw a non-DC piece from years earlier, and it was great. Yes, there are bad pieces, and lesser artists, but in my view, most professional artists are good. It Is the individual pieces which are poor. As for scantily clad women, take a good look at the waist lines of some of Will Eisner’s women. They are invariably very, if not impossibly narrow. But for his style they worked. With that all said, what is an artist supposed to say about another artist’s work? Criticize the composition, which is substantially dictated by the writer? Dislike, say Bruce Timm’s work if the editor puts him on some horror title? The most I have heard an artist say is that he doesn’t understand why a particular artist’s work is so expensive. That makes a lot of sense. Can’t wait to hear that on a claim show.

Guest Race

It could very well be the opposite -- you may hear praise. I think the fun would be the mystery of what the artist would think. I was certainly surprised to find out the biggest fan of Don Heck in the 60s was John Buscema! John loved his art and was constantly trying to find him work when Heck's style fell out of favor... who would have thunk it?

Again, my only point was to suggest something which would add an element of fun to these claim shows and draw in more viewers.

Edited by Race

2 hours ago, vodou said:

Except Chaykin :) 

I love Chaykin. Oh, his art too ;) 

I think Howard has mellowed enough to the point where he would say anything negative about another artist. At least not in print or in public. 
However, I’ve been friends with Howard for over 40 years, so I’ve heard a lot. 

2 hours ago, Race said:

It could very well be the opposite -- you may hear praise. I think the fun would be the mystery of what the artist would think. I was certainly surprised to find out the biggest fan of Don Heck in the 60s was John Buscema! John loved his art and was constantly trying to find him work when Heck's style fell out of favor... who would have thunk it?

Again, my only point was to suggest something which would add an element of fun to these claim shows and draw in more viewers.

Of course that would infer thinking on their part. 
uh, yeah. 

31 minutes ago, artdealer said:

I think Howard has mellowed enough to the point where he would say anything negative about another artist. At least not in print or in public. 
However, I’ve been friends with Howard for over 40 years, so I’ve heard a lot. 

I know what you mean but would that include Eisner? :devil:

4 hours ago, vodou said:

Except Chaykin :) 

I love Chaykin. Oh, his art too ;) 

6 minutes ago, artdealer said:
48 minutes ago, vodou said:

I know what you mean but would that include Eisner? :devil:

Yup

In that case, he's mellowed in the last 2 years, radically. 

Try taking a poke at the subject on Chaykin's Facebook page (the one fan page). See what happens.  

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

In that case, he's mellowed in the last 2 years, radically. 

Try taking a poke at the subject on Chaykin's Facebook page (the one fan page). See what happens.  

Like I said, I’ve been friends with Howard for decades. I’ve heard the Eisner story many times. 

17 hours ago, Race said:If you did a show with Sal Buscema, for example, and sold Sal's work on Hulk while also selling Tim Sale's or Dale Keown's, it would be incredibly cool to hear his opinion as to whether he likes their versions or not.

People are coming AWFULLY CLOSE to praising “The Un-praise-able One”. Let’s all just try and remember the rules here, ok?!

The Average is the Average is the Average…remember that always.

Carry on.

-ARTSOC

4 hours ago, zhamlau said:

People are coming AWFULLY CLOSE to praising “The Un-praise-able One”. Let’s all just try and remember the rules here, ok?!

The Average is the Average is the Average…remember that always.

Carry on.

-ARTSOC

Did he at least like small dogs and children?