• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Comic Art Show
4 4

264 posts in this topic

On 6/28/2021 at 4:08 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Does anyone have pics of the LA art show that they care to share with the rest of who were unable to attend?  I'd love to see some of the 'fresher' pieces that some folks have mentioned on this thread.

If you haven't seen yet, you can see some pics by Lance Suarez on CAF:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1739328

So, the question is, how could these be changed to make them more interesting--other than lower prices and better art, and are conceivably agreeable?

Here's my thought. Have each dealer offer 3 pieces within the same price range to the other dealer at the same time, and the other dealer would have to pick which 1 he would buy, or none at all. He cannot pick all or 2. He would then be expected to explain why he picked what he picked,or none,  and would also get first dibs on actually buying it. The moderator could also ask further questions. Then, the other dealer gets to do to him what he did to the first dealer. After each dealer goes, only then would the 3 pieces from each dealer be open for purchase. That's a duel.

Regardless of the dealers and art that are involved, I think you'd start to hear rumors of "shilling".  Anyway, dealers seem to trade among themselves enough that the "buy" requirement can't be realistically enforced.  Your proposed rules are too complex compared to how the chat can go crazy in a "regular" claim format. 

One of the concerns is that dealers have enough inventory to do these shows on a regular basis.  Having 3 pieces of art in the same price range per round is a pretty high hurdle.  Even if you take the same number of pieces in regular claim format and combine them in groups of three, the talking / discussing / debating about the choice can slow down the show.  For better or worse, the regular claim format lets each piece stand on its own (vs in a group).

Edited by Will_K

1 hour ago, Will_K said:

Regardless of the dealers and art that are involved, I think you'd start to hear rumors of "shilling".  Anyway, dealers seem to trade among themselves enough that the "buy" requirement can't be realistically enforced.  Your proposed rules are too complex compared to how the chat can go crazy in a "regular" claim format. 

One of the concerns is that dealers have enough inventory to do these shows on a regular basis.  Having 3 pieces of art in the same price range per round is a pretty high hurdle.  Even if you take the same number of pieces in regular claim format and combine them in groups of three, the talking / discussing / debating about the choice can slow down the show.  For better or worse, the regular claim format lets each piece stand on its own (vs in a group).

How to make that show less boring? I was interested in provoking critiques by dealers of another dealer’s stock. Other ideas? 

Getting a dealer to critique another dealer's stock??  I don't see it happening.  You can also suggest replacing "stock" with "pricing"... also not going to happen. 

Maybe having dealers trying to sell you on badly damaged art... amateur art... less marketable artists??  On one hand, I don't think dealers want to stock art that they think will be a tough sell.  On the other hand, it would be fun to watch. 

Maybe a reverse claim show ?  People send scans to Bill "live" during the show, no advance info.  And only the dealers can bid against each other to buy it.  Noone in the chat can buy during the show.  A little contrived with a shilling risk but maybe fun to watch.

37 minutes ago, vodou said:

I would love WWF style trashtalk before The Match. Even better if real trash instead of WWF ;) 

Watch the nervous sweat roll down their faces as the host drops some folding chairs and barbed wire between them.  

“So, you all want to sell some art?”

On the next episode of Cage Match Claims!

2 hours ago, vodou said:

I would love WWF style trashtalk before The Match. Even better if real trash instead of WWF ;) 

As you pointed out, only 92 people tuned into the last show, and as someone else mentioned, only one piece was sold later. The novelty is already wearing thin. 

7 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

As you pointed out, only 92 people tuned into the last show, and as someone else mentioned, only one piece was sold later. The novelty is already wearing thin. 

Ruben's claim show was quite good. I'm not sure how many viewers he had during the live show, but I would tune in again. The DM show is lacking something. 

18 minutes ago, Matches_Malone said:

Ruben's claim show was quite good. I'm not sure how many viewers he had during the live show, but I would tune in again. The DM show is lacking something. 

Somethings. Mediocre art, list pricing on those “undiscovered gems”, and all the charisma of a toothpaste tube—without the toothpaste.

But again, rather than trash the trash, how to make it watchable?

24 minutes ago, Matches_Malone said:

Why? What was good?

Edited by Rick2you2

32 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Somethings. Mediocre art, list pricing on those “undiscovered gems”, and all the charisma of a toothpaste tube—without the toothpaste.

But again, rather than trash the trash, how to make it watchable?

Have Dino as a guest star. 

Guest Race

Let's be honest here, the folks participating this are significantly lacking a basic presentation/acting skillset, nor are they visually suited for media. The biggest problem holding this back from being a success, however, is control. The show needs 1) a -script and director so the audience can be properly engaged and retained throughout, 2) some standards imposed on the products presented, and 3) to incorporate audience comments (which to date have been far funnier than anything said by the presenters or dealers) in real time. All of this wouldn't take much effort, but it would entail Will or Bill taking time away from their real jobs. It would certainly raise the chance of longer term success, but who knows whether they want to put in the work.

Edited by Race