• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,545 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Unfortunately for the hobby, a collection that appears to be targeted more towards the deep pocketed collectors/investors as opposed to the "regular" comic book collectors like the majority of us on these boards here and also one in which the two brothers will sadly not be able to enjoy the benefits of from either a financial or historical legacy point of view upon its disposal.  :( 

Well thought out observation. 
I don’t think the brothers ever had any thought about the value. I think it’s the current purveyors of the collection that think that way. Not sure this thinking would have been rewarded so handsomely if not for the crypto guys. And I don’t think the Berk collection made it onto the radar screens of the crypto guys. In fact, I don’t think there was any such thing as a crypto guy back then. So maybe that’s the difference between the way the Berk auction went down compared to the Promise Collection 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

13 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Not sure this thinking would have been rewarded if not for the crypto guys. 

When did you become one of these FOMO driven crazed crypto guys?  lol

BTW:  Absolutely love that beautiful All-Select 2 that you picked up from the collection as that's one of the two best covers in the entire run.  :applause:

1 hour ago, szav said:

Yes sorry, it’s not meaningless at all, it’s a great deal.  While the HA cut of 10% is the same whether selling through MOTO or reconsignjng through that certificate offer, there’s a lot of value in getting to send it back to auction, having it re-featured, having them cover the initial shipping cost etc.

That's what we're saying, that the certificate is only necessary (and valuable) for someone who's going to consign to an auction. 

16 hours ago, tth2 said:

Mitch, this is the standard certificate that Heritage normally provides with some books.  It just means that Heritage will waive their normal 10% seller's commission, which is no big deal because Heritage almost always waives that anyways, often times without the consignor even asking for it.

But it means that without any further negotiation, Heritage keeps all of the BP.  So a book hammers for $1000, total price is $1200 inclusive of BP, and the consignor takes home $1000 and Heritage keeps $200.

Under the certificate with the Promise book, the consignor gets 90% of the total price inclusive of BP.  So under the same auction result above, the consignor now gets $1080 rather than $1000, and Heritage gets $120 instead of $200.  

It basically levels the playing field with CC and CL (in terms of auction fees) for anyone thinking about reselling a Promise book.

Thanks for the explanation, Tim. Very helpful.

While I've received these certs before, I've paid them no mind until Clark posted his (which I read in full). The language is curious. So much so I took a look at my other certs. Oddly enough, the certs for original art have different language from the Promise and Church. All of my art certs have the same wording...

auction-cert2.png

Edited by MasterChief

7 hours ago, MasterChief said:

Thanks for the explanation, Tim. Very helpful.

While I've received these certs before, I've paid them no mind until Clark posted his (which I read in full). The language is curious. So much so I took a look at my other certs. Oddly enough, the certs for original art have different language from the Promise and Church. All of my art certs have the same wording...

auction-cert2.png

Basically, Heritage are offering a worse deal on OA consignments than on comic consignments, waiving only 50% of the seller's commission versus 100%.

On 6/26/2021 at 7:55 PM, tth2 said:

Basically, Heritage are offering a worse deal on OA consignments than on comic consignments, waiving only 50% of the seller's commission versus 100%.

Maybe that's because they figure that they are clearly top dog when it comes to the OA market and hence no need to offer the same huge discount.  hm

This is clearly not so definitive when it comes to the comic book market, and they need to compete with their competitors like CL and CC. (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 6/26/2021 at 7:34 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I just assumed Heritage was offering to put the book back in an auction and give back 90% of the proceeds. Maybe they are only talking about a “Make Offer” scenario. I’m going to look into this

@tth2, I asked, and here is their response:

F5ECBFF7-7DAB-4A33-87B9-D127C7EBAE6B.jpeg

:bump:

do we have any boardies here with an affiliation to GPA Analysis?

if so, the site could be made more accurate by including sales taxes into their report data.

especially with the Current record setting Promise Collection. Is there anyone that Heritage does NOT charge sales taxes to? 

The sales of the Promise Collection are already in GPA, but I see they are inaccurate by thousands of dollars since they do not account for taxes in their sales report data. 

the GPA data does add in the BP, thankfully. I just think they should also add taxes. Bidders factor in sales taxes as well as BP when placing bids.

16 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

:bump:

do we have any boardies here with an affiliation to GPA Analysis?

if so, the site could be made more accurate by including sales taxes into their report data.

especially with the Current record setting Promise Collection. Is there anyone that Heritage does NOT charge sales taxes to? 

The sales of the Promise Collection are already in GPA, but I see they are inaccurate by thousands of dollars since they do not account for taxes in their sales report data. 

the GPA data does add in the BP, thankfully. I just think they should also add taxes. Bidders factor in sales taxes as well as BP when placing bids.

It would make GPA more accurate. But  for most books in all venues, today and in the past, we either don’t know or can’t find out whether sales tax is/was charged. In the past some eBay books were subject to sales tax; now most but not all. Same with auction/exchange sites. Better to just not consider it in GPA. 

Also, I assume most heavy hitters buying big books have a resale tax certificate. If not they should fire their accountant.

7 minutes ago, whomerjay said:

It would make GPA more accurate. But  for most books in all venues, today and in the past, we either don’t know or can’t find out whether sales tax is/was charged. In the past some eBay books were subject to sales tax; now most but not all. Same with auction/exchange sites. Better to just not consider it in GPA. 

Also, I assume most heavy hitters buying big books have a resale tax certificate. If not they should fire their accountant.

OK, I guess that is how I will start viewing the GPA data.  Mentally, I will start adding approx 6% to whatever sales price is reflected therein.  Thanks for the idea.

I don't sell books, so I have no need for a resale tax certificate.  In fact, I just now had to google it, and I see your point:  for people "in the biz" of buying and selling, they are obligated to report their earnings.  I see the resale tax certificate allows them to save a few bucks by avoiding taxes for their purchases.  Yes, this definitely would complicate efforts to accurately reflect sale prices, because you can never know who is paying sales taxes and who is not.

Thank you for your post

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 6/19/2021 at 9:40 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Ok I’m going to go first. I was literally sitting with a client in the courtroom, waiting for the judge to call my case, as I surreptitiously bid for this:

829F5D84-9382-4A3E-8E6C-3408F590BDA4.jpeg

(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship):sumo:

On 6/22/2021 at 3:24 PM, Markentoth said:

This was my only Promise win.
I really didn't expect to win it; I set a price in my head and promised myself I wouldn't go beyond it.
It went for less than I expected, so yay!

image.thumb.png.f98d7f44a82aaa556cf76aa226c2b9e2.png

Really nice, buddy!

On 6/22/2021 at 3:24 PM, Markentoth said:

This was my only Promise win.
I really didn't expect to win it; I set a price in my head and promised myself I wouldn't go beyond it.
It went for less than I expected, so yay!

image.thumb.png.f98d7f44a82aaa556cf76aa226c2b9e2.png

I don’t know how I missed this post. Congratulations! Great book