• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,535 posts in this topic

On 7/25/2021 at 10:03 AM, tth2 said:

There are 9.6 books, including Churches, that have even worse dust shadows.

Hey. There are situations when words simply aren't enough.  This is one of them? :nyah:  Pix please.  :popcorn:

Edited by Pantodude

On 7/25/2021 at 1:40 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

You can get a 9.8 with these dust shadows? They aren’t production defects right? Maybe just subtle enough where didn’t affect the grade.

451BB52F-B5FC-4D0C-BDEE-1B041C8B2A64.jpeg

1C196655-4426-4E6A-86D1-4AE6CFB66872.jpeg

I don't get it either. I've had books knocked down to 9.2 for similar issues. I have seen comparable dust shadows on 9.4s—many of the Mile Highs have some dust shadows on the back covers—but on 9.8s? Not that I can recall.

I have seen Larsons with pretty bad foxing get fairly high grades, but never above 9.4. It seems like the bar for 9.8 has been lowered, as has the bar for 9.6.

Edited by jimbo_7071

Yeah I mean the only other explanation I can think of is there’s more leniency on pedigrees. And I mean that sincerely and not as a joke. Maybe pedigrees, knowing the level of insane books that managed to stay in high grade, some are allowed to still maintain very high grades with defects that normally might detract from the grade. I mean I probably wouldn’t have questioned it if it was a 9.6, definitely not a 9.4 because the book presents 9.8 otherwise. But who knows, maybe this one just slipped through the cracks. Tough to believe that though considering the book in question, so seems to me it was legitimately given. CGC must know something I don’t lol.

Dust shadows aren't allowed on CGC 10.0 books .... otherwise they can't be Mint ... Mint is original flawless state, the other lower grades are not. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 7/24/2021 at 10:40 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

You can get a 9.8 with these dust shadows? They aren’t production defects right? Maybe just subtle enough where didn’t affect the grade.

On 7/25/2021 at 4:51 AM, Ryan. said:

Yikes. 

Like I have stated here many times before with respect to CGC's undisclosed grading standards which gives them the flexibility to change them at any point in time, they basically grade according to their current business agenda of the day and I believe we all know what the business agenda is when it comes to the Promise Collection and when Heritage is the submittor of these books here.  :devil:

On 7/25/2021 at 6:04 AM, Straw-Man said:

6.5 if not a promise book.

Well, I don't believe it would have gotten as low as a CGC 6.5, as this Dell File Copy here from 1939 managed to get into the 9.0's with its small lite dust shadow at the top:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crackajack-funnies-9-file-copy-dell-1939-cgc-vf-nm-90-off-white-pages/a/830-91039.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B4%2F2%2F5%2F1%2F4251087%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Then again, maybe it depends on who the consignor is as this book was regraded as a CGC 9.6 graded copy with the exact same noted defect still there almost a full decade later, before finally settling down into a CGC 9.8 slab after that.  :devil:

If the grades on these Promise books are correct then everything in my collection must be either 9.6 or 9.8's, so I'm happy :whee:

With 383 books placed in the September Sig, 61 books in the weekly 8/1-2 and 49 so far in 8/8-9 and counting daily - it seems HA is moving up the originally talked about 1 1/2 year rollout into something denser, maybe a year tops, maybe even less than that.  They've gauged the demand and acted quickly and accordingly.