• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,544 posts in this topic

On 6/3/2022 at 12:40 AM, mstrange said:
On 6/3/2022 at 12:27 AM, Bronty said:

Had my eye on this one but had to cry uncle at the end.  :/

26076277%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

Expand  

I was going after this one as well.

I wasn't going after this one, but now wish I had been.

On 6/2/2022 at 5:56 PM, BS Damutantman said:

Nice wins! They're all cool, but v5 #7 is my absolute favorite Airboy cover.

It's definitely growing on me after seeing that copy. My favorites are still the Heap covers, but I think those were a little too late for the Promise Collection.

On 6/9/2022 at 11:01 PM, sfcityduck said:

A lot of Promise Collection books coming up for auction ... a second time.

Makes you wonder lol

On 6/12/2022 at 9:57 AM, szav said:

Which ones? What shows up on search on HA looks almost all new.

Well, I thought the CM Jr. 5 and 7 at least were retreads, and assumed some of the others were, but now I see they just skipped those two in earlier auctions.  

On 6/12/2022 at 7:38 PM, szav said:

Much as it was a perfect storm for Promise books to realize insane record blowing prices the first go round … there’s a possible perfect storm for terrible prices brewing.  I wonder if the expected resales once HA is done with the first pass are going to be delayed a few years.  Hard to imagine any rational people thinking an attempted quick flipping of them for a profit is a good idea right now.

Of course sone may come up for sale because of death, divorce, or debt, vs someone trying to flip for profit.

True, while the rationale for selling may not matter much to a determined bidder, flipping is noticed.  The biggest factors for a "perfect storm" of consignment risk are a book's history (how quickly a book is re-auctioned), current economics (inflation/recession concerns) and increased scrutiny and discussions over time of comparable grades (pedigree vs non-pedigree; tight vs loose grading opinions, etc.). The Promise Collection story is a great tale, but it's still just one original owner's story among many.  

Edited by Cat-Man_America
wordsmithery and ale!

On 6/10/2022 at 11:01 AM, Robot Man said:

Not really. Intuition and common sense makes me not surprised. Bet they go for less than the first time around. The timing on that collection was the perfect storm…

Your prediction was certainly true for this one.

I think the seller was smart to cut his losses now. There's still quite a bit of hype around the Promise Collection. I think that it would have sold for even less if he had waited. $43,200 was still an extremely strong price; hopefully it has found its forever home.

AF32A.PNG

AF32B.PNG

On 6/12/2022 at 5:39 PM, Dr. Love said:

There may be up to 20 or so at this point. But the only way youd know after the fact is drilling into each listing and reviewing sales history

There is a Promise book for sale here on the boards. Haven’t bothered nor do I care what it sold for on HA. 

Edited by Robot Man

On 6/20/2022 at 1:16 PM, buttock said:

I saw the second sale result, not having known that it had already sold for more and thought the price was inordinately high.  

I think that an inordinately high price will buoy the sales price the next time around. When Gary Keller paid very high prices for some Mile High DC's, they eventually came back down to earth, but it took having them sell two more times. Whatever they ended up losing, they lost about half with the first resale and the rest with the next resale. If this book follows that pattern, it should sell for around $20,400 if it is sold again in the next few years.

I have seen a similar pattern many times over the years. For some reason when a book sells for an astronomical price, collectors seem to think that it has somehow magically increased in value completely out of proportion to historical trends instead of recognizing the sales price as the outlier that it is.

GL26A.PNG

GL26B.PNG

GL26C.PNG

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 6/20/2022 at 5:16 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I think that an inordinately high price will buoy the sales price the next time around. When Gary Keller paid very high prices for some Mile High DC's, they eventually came back down to earth, but it took having them sell two more times. Whatever they ended up losing, they lost about half with the first resale and the rest with the next resale. If this book follows that pattern, it should sell for around $20,400 if it is sold again in the next few years.

I have seen a similar pattern many times over the years. For some reason when a book sells for an astronomical price, collectors seem to think that it has somehow magically increased in value completely out of proportion to historical trends instead of recognizing the sales price as the outlier that it is.

GL26A.PNG

GL26B.PNG

GL26C.PNG

That is quite the downward trend :whatthe: