• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,535 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2021 at 7:25 AM, Frisco Larson said:

I managed to snag a Promise book for my collection last night! Compared to the crazy multiples I've seen them going for, I did pretty well price-wise. Not a "deal" by any means, but not crazy multiples either.  (thumbsu  Happy to have one! 

Punch Comics 17 9.2 ow-w Promise front.jpg

Nice get, you paid less than what the lower graded Mile High sold for a few years ago.  I guess there actually are a (very) few Promise book deals out there.

On 9/14/2021 at 7:59 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Nice get, you paid less than what the lower graded Mile High sold for a few years ago.  I guess there actually are a (very) few Promise book deals out there.

Thanks! I guess I got lucky by just watching and waiting. I've been digging Cheslers lately after having semi-recently picked up some artwork from a few different titles. 

On 9/14/2021 at 9:25 AM, Frisco Larson said:

I managed to snag a Promise book for my collection last night! Compared to the crazy multiples I've seen them going for, I did pretty well price-wise. Not a "deal" by any means, but not crazy multiples either.  (thumbsu  Happy to have one! 

Punch Comics 17 9.2 ow-w Promise front.jpg

I saw that! It went for a very reasonable price. Congratulations!

On 9/15/2021 at 2:47 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Awesome copy; this beauty's Schomburg all the way (...and a classic cover to boot, IMO)! ^^

Thanks Cat! I figured if I was going to go big on a classic cover Schomburg it should be this one. Of course, the others were multiples of this cost so that figured into the calculations a bit too. :roflmao:

On 9/15/2021 at 8:09 PM, Badger said:

Thanks! Now I just need an MMC #9 to go with it. :roflmao:

Probably my number one grail book!!! If Billy upgrades, his under copy is coming my way, but that's kind of a tough book to find. I DID own a coverless once but sold it to a pal who had a copy with 2 centerfolds out, so he was able to complete his. Likewise, if HE upgrades, I get first rights of refusal on his, but once again, not too likely. :/  Such an incredible book!  

On 9/15/2021 at 8:55 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Thanks for the congrats and let me offer an even BIGGER congrats right back!!!! That is an AWESOME copy!!!!  (worship)

Are you sure that's a Promise Collection book.... ? People were telling me that every single one was overgraded... but, yet, that looks pretty tight... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/16/2021 at 5:37 AM, Courageous Cat said:

this here book is a 9.0 all day long. In fact I'd personally like to send my books to this here grader if possible :banana:

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 6.52.09 PM.png

Do I detect subtle sarcasm here? Could've sworn I detected the hint of a German accent when your C&W banana uttered the word "nine".  :devil:

On 9/16/2021 at 3:37 AM, Courageous Cat said:

this here book is a 9.0 all day long. In fact I'd personally like to send my books to this here grader if possible :banana:

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 6.52.09 PM.png

Well, it seems that CGC has long swung back and forth in terms of dust/sun shadows on the grading of a comic book and as we have seen from many examples already shown here to date, it is clear which way the pedulum has swung for the Promise Collection books when it comes to this particular defect.  hm

And like @Courageous Cat has stated in his post, since I do have a couple of big books with dust/sun shadows on them, I certainly do hope CGC grades this particular defect with the same degree of softness as the Promise books when it comes to my books, but sadly somehow I doubt it very much. :frustrated:  :censored:

On 9/16/2021 at 10:35 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, it seems that CGC has long swung back and forth in terms of dust/sun shadows on the grading of a comic book and as we have seen from many examples already shown here to date, it is clear which way the pedulum has swung for the Promise Collection books when it comes to this particular defect.  hm

And like @Courageous Cat has stated in his post, since I do have a couple of big books with dust/sun shadows on them, I certainly do hope CGC grades this particular defect with the same degree of softness as the Promise books when it comes to my books, but sadly somehow I doubt it very much. :frustrated:  :censored:

Think I read somewhere that chewin' tobacco stains are within CGC's spittoon of error when gradin' western comics.  ;)

On 9/12/2021 at 12:26 PM, Mmehdy said:

Let me say this on the record, the prices paid today for Promise  OO pedigreed books will look like bargains after the last OO Promise book is sold and there are no more. When these books hit resale and all the waiters who have sat by the sidelines, saying this is costs  too much, wait till that last auction of OO Promise books and wait till you see the resale prices when the final action is done. Do not wait, this collection will go down as one of the top 5 greatest OO pedigree collections of all time and over time, for what this collection really is, it will gain in stature just as the SF/MH collections have grown over the next 5-10 years.

On 9/11/2021 at 12:46 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I don't think it's just a "wait." I don't believe that many of the buyers will ever break even if the prices are adjusted for inflation. I've purchased two Promise books so far; I don't plan to sell, but I wouldn't expect to break if I were forced to sell. Two is enough for me; I don't plan to go after a third unless one of my grails pops up and isn't too overgraded. (There are plenty of books that I like from '44 through '50, but virtually all of my true grails are from earlier dates.)

No surprise here as we see 2 completely opposing schools of thought when it comes to the future of the Promise Collection books. :slapfight:

In all honesty, I believe we will see a bit of both, but based upon some of the stratospheric prices that we have seen on most of these Promise Collection books, I strongly believe we will see a whole lot more of the latter as opposed to the former.  This was also clearly the case with the other major complete pedigree collection to be graded and brought complete to market all at one time (i.e. the Billy Wright Collection) as the prices on most of those books dropped when brought back to market and has only now started to head back into positive territory nigh some 10 years later.  Without this current crazed pandemic driven marketplace we are currently in, it's quite likely that some of the Billy Wright books might possibly still be sitting in the red right now.  hm  (shrug)

On 9/17/2021 at 2:09 AM, lou_fine said:

No surprise here as we see 2 completely opposing schools of thought when it comes to the future of the Promise Collection books. :slapfight:

In all honesty, I believe we will see a bit of both, but based upon some of the stratospheric prices that we have seen on most of these Promise Collection books, I strongly believe we will see a whole lot more of the latter as opposed to the former.  This was also clearly the case with the other major complete pedigree collection to be graded and brought complete to market all at one time (i.e. the Billy Wright Collection) as the prices on most of those books dropped when brought back to market and has only now started to head back into positive territory nigh some 10 years later.  Without this current crazed pandemic driven marketplace we are currently in, it's quite likely that some of the Billy Wright books might possibly still be sitting in the red right now.  hm  (shrug)

If I was huge into Broncho Bill or National Comics and after high grade books in those runs, why would I pay 10x for the pedigree with the added risk of maybe get a dodgy grade if there are other high grade options out there?  The key high end books will do fine over time, but not sure about the run of the mill stuff.  At least, that's the position I'm taking - to not get caught up in the hysteria.  If I can win one I'll be thrilled and posting it here, but if I can't I can also live without it.