• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,535 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2021 at 9:58 PM, Dr. Love said:

Sandwiched in between the great Joker issues of 69 and 71 is my favorite Tec cover - 70.  No villains, no fighting, just Bats rescuing the Boy Blunder...again.  A Jerry Robinson masterpiece, the composition is fantastic, so far above other covers, it's remarkable.

And imho the only Promise book so far that is arguably undergraded.  To me, technically a half or full grade under, presentation wise - two full under.

I've been waiting many years for this book to come around in just the right look and price point for me.  Still, I couldn't see buying this book if it had a 3 in front of it.  Squeaked it out!   

Detective70label.thumb.jpg.9cbce532a0e64261b095a28804ed0f98.jpg

Detective70f.thumb.jpg.d8aaa355d1bcd5204ca2cfc7567a952d.jpg

Congrats Doc! :golfclap:

On 8/21/2021 at 9:58 PM, Dr. Love said:

Sandwiched in between the great Joker issues of 69 and 71 is my favorite Tec cover - 70.  No villains, no fighting, just Bats rescuing the Boy Blunder...again.  A Jerry Robinson masterpiece, the composition is fantastic, so far above other covers, it's remarkable.

And imho the only Promise book so far that is arguably undergraded.  To me, technically a half or full grade under, presentation wise - two full under.

I've been waiting many years for this book to come around in just the right look and price point for me.  Still, I couldn't see buying this book if it had a 3 in front of it.  Squeaked it out!   

Detective70label.thumb.jpg.9cbce532a0e64261b095a28804ed0f98.jpg

Detective70f.thumb.jpg.d8aaa355d1bcd5204ca2cfc7567a952d.jpg

Jerry also did a recreation of that cover.

35850830583_9ee246a267_b.jpg

On 8/22/2021 at 12:52 AM, Bonds25 said:

Here is the left bottom corner of the Suspense Comics #11, graded a 9.8.  Really?? ???

EAEBE4BA-F5CA-485C-AE44-C91F05EB141C.thumb.jpeg.3d57ca41908a707abf31745d83b68261.jpeg

On 8/22/2021 at 7:24 PM, batman_fan said:

Probably deemed a bindery chip which it looks like it is so production defect.

Although I would probably agree with your assessment here, but without having the actual book in hand, is there also a tiny bit of post production flaking at the top portion of that bindery chip there?  hm

The thing that concerns me here is that the graders seems to have gone out of their way with giving the benefit of doubt in terms of production defects wherever possible when it comes to the Promise Collection books.  Any bets that if this was not a Promise book or a book consigned by Heritage themselves, that there's a good chance they might notice the tiny flake more and have it take precedence over the bindery chip, thereby resulting in a slightly lower grade for the book.  (shrug)

On 8/22/2021 at 10:10 PM, lou_fine said:

Although I would probably agree with your assessment here, but without having the actual book in hand, is there also a tiny bit of post production flaking at the top portion of that bindery chip there?  hm

The thing that concerns me here is that the graders seems to have gone out of their way with giving the benefit of doubt in terms of production defects wherever possible when it comes to the Promise Collection books.  Any bets that if this was not a Promise book or a book consigned by Heritage themselves, that there's a good chance they might notice the tiny flake more and have it take precedence over the bindery chip, thereby resulting in a slightly lower grade for the book.  (shrug)

I will say, I saw my first Promise book on Saturday.  It was graded a 9.4 but looked like a 9.8.  The colors were just plan unreal.