• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,535 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2021 at 6:39 AM, comicnoir said:

My friend's response when I mention the Promise Pep 20, 9.2. "Who cares? You'll all be trading them for cans of tuna in years to come." And he's a friend.

I've already decided to cut out the middleman and just buy the tuna.

On 9/13/2021 at 6:21 AM, Mutie Fan said:

I think it's the Denver pedigree that is all #1s. 

Actually, the other GA pedigrees that contained all #1 issues as far as I know were the Carson City or Comstock pedigree along with the Kansas City pedigree.  (thumbsu

I believe there might also be one other, but can't think of it right now.  (shrug)

On 9/14/2021 at 7:32 AM, lou_fine said:

Actually, the other GA pedigrees that contained all #1 issues as far as I know were the Carson City or Comstock pedigree along with the Kansas City pedigree.  (thumbsu

I believe there might also be one other, but can't think of it right now.  (shrug)

I was intrigued, so I looked it up:

WINDY CITY

Of the four pedigrees containing all #1 issues, this collection is by far the largest, numbering over 2,000 comics. It also covers one of the largest spans of time, running from the '30s through the '60s. Many of the most valuable key issues were present, including Marvel Comics #1, Captain America #1, Batman #1, Flash #1, Captain Marvel #1, All-Winners #1, Daring Mystery #1 and Whiz #1. The original owner Andy Wallace, an introverted postal worker who lived with his sister, wrote his name on nearly ¼ of the comics. Gary Colabuono purchased the collection piecemeal over eight years, but initially sold them without a pedigree status, although he did make a detailed original list.

On 9/14/2021 at 2:32 AM, lou_fine said:

And the Denver ped.  “The Denver collection was assembled by a woman who ran a newsstand and carefully stored away 153 issues between 1938 and 1944. Even though it is one of the smallest pedigreed collections, every copy was a #1 issue, and included valuable keys like Batman #1, Captain America #1, Flash Comics #1, Green Lantern #1, Marvel Comics #1 and Sensation #1."  

Edited by Pantodude

On 9/14/2021 at 1:39 AM, comicnoir said:

My friend's response when I mention the Promise Pep 20, 9.2. "Who cares? You'll all be trading them for cans of tuna in years to come." And he's a friend.

No need to wait.  I'd be willing to trade tuna cans now for Church or Promise comics.

On 9/14/2021 at 11:09 AM, tth2 said:

What you didn't realize is that he was talking about cans of this tuna.

Years from now, the Heritage tuna scandals are gonna be epic!

On 9/13/2021 at 12:38 PM, Mmehdy said:

When the SF collection hit, I was at the berkley con, when nick brought in the first batch of books. I can back up there was 3 large sales from family, it actually did not take place in SF, but just got the nickname, I have seen both, I would rank SF a tad higher than MH, just FYI my opinion in the crispness of the books, they were both felt like brand new books, amazing 

I think Redbeard coined the name. He called them “Friscos”. I remember him buying a lot and I went over to see them. Yeah, they were amazing. The plus I give to the Church books are their amazing cover gloss. The SF books aren’t quite as glossy. I saw them in raw state. Hard to really appreciate the gloss or white pages in a slab...