• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,535 posts in this topic

On 10/13/2021 at 1:46 PM, mstrange said:
On 10/13/2021 at 1:29 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I think I saw you post somewhere that you finally landed your Suspense 3, right?

Yes a incomplete copy missing the lifeboat story but it will do.(thumbsu

Yeah, what's this I keep hearing about the missing lifeboat story on copies of Suspense 3?  hm

Is there some rational reason why buyers would be taking this page out of the book or is it simply due to bad production whereby this page tends to fall out while the same thing doesn't seem to happen with the other GA books?  ???

Well, I guess if Dave & Adam's are lucky enough to find somebody willing to pay the BIN price on these two Promise Collection books here, they'll be way ahead of this eBay seller who's got BIN price set only at what he had originally paid for the book when he won it for $9,600 from Heritage back in June:  :tonofbricks:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184990035124?hash=item2b1243ecb4%3Ag%3AQeMAAOSwldthETsq&campid=5338116315&customid=CGCForum&toolid=10001&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&nma=true&si=I6yoeSuwIIqY9UHD0QKJqohYErE%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Image 1 - All Winners Comics #7 - Timely Comics 1943 CGC 5.5 PROMISE COLLECTION PEDIGREE

Wonder if he's had any luck finding a buyer for this copy in the interim since it was posted for sale quite a few months ago, and if he did, at what price was he able to get for the book?  I guess it doesn't really help his listing when he states that the book is only in Very Good condition even though it is residing in a CGC 5.5 Fine- slab.  doh!

On 9/23/2021 at 1:27 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Either the rust on the bottom staple has penetrated to the back cover, or the book was stacked on top of another rusty staple book. 

still, my guess is $150k

D6B4C079-1AD4-4EFB-97C8-031F0969B576.jpeg

A1E981F8-D1E2-4C60-9922-ECAA20AA9102.jpeg

Now I’m seeing rust in my head when I cannot even see the staple. Seems like if there’s foxing, there’s a rusty staple lurking, just biding it’s time, waiting patiently to be discovered 

DBF2217F-E3D0-4251-BDF7-44FCC0BE7519.jpeg

0F2DD13F-1AAE-4D65-AA7D-A7A143365FFA.jpeg

Must be backlog.  Almost at the 6 month mark and not even halfway through the collection.  The ones below, based on past slabbing, would have qualified.

Crime Does Not Pay 38 VF/NM
Crime Does Not Pay 66 VF/NM
Crime Does Not Pay 67 VF/NM
Crime Does Not Pay 68 VF/NM
Crime Does Not Pay 75 VF/NM
Crime Must Pay the Penalty 9 VF/NM
Golden Arrow 3 NM-
Golden Arrow 4 NM+
Golden Arrow 5 NM+
Tex Taylor 4 VF/NM
Tex Taylor 5 NM-
Tex Taylor 6 VF/NM
Tex Taylor 7 VF-
Tex Taylor 8 NM

On 11/2/2021 at 1:08 PM, Dr. Love said:

Must be backlog.  Almost at the 6 month mark and not even halfway through the collection.  The ones below, based on past slabbing, would have qualified.

Crime Does Not Pay 38 VF/NM
Crime Does Not Pay 66 VF/NM
Crime Does Not Pay 67 VF/NM
Crime Does Not Pay 68 VF/NM
Crime Does Not Pay 75 VF/NM
Crime Must Pay the Penalty 9 VF/NM
Golden Arrow 3 NM-
Golden Arrow 4 NM+
Golden Arrow 5 NM+
Tex Taylor 4 VF/NM
Tex Taylor 5 NM-
Tex Taylor 6 VF/NM
Tex Taylor 7 VF-
Tex Taylor 8 NM

They're benefitting from the hype right now. If they wait too long, prices will cool off, and they'll lose whatever they would have gained by having the books slabbed. It makes sense to bring as many books as possible to market quickly.

Batman #49 Promise 9.6 at $42,000 (BP inc) - maybe finally this book will get some love! 

High 9.6 is $48,000 so should smash that with 13 day to go at time of posting.

I'm bidding on a book (not the Bats) on Heritage for the 1st time ever.

I'd welcome some advice - esp as I'm overseas. 

Do they call you up if abroad?

And in the close, don't hesitate - just bid, or bid your max 5 mins before and let it play out?

Any help is appreciated.

On 11/6/2021 at 1:03 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Bid your max beforehand and then don't watch the auction. HA has auctioneering down to a science. During the auction they have bells, buzzers, a virtual auctioneer, and flashing red lights all sending signals to your brain saying, "Life will never, ever be even a little bit good ever again if you don't purchase—strike that—if you don't WIN this particular book at this particular moment."

MK Ultra had nothing on the folks at Heritage.

I had to look up MK ultra lol

How close to the end of an auction do most folks enter their 'final bid' - as in 'this is my max'?

Sorry for such inane questions - but being in Australia the time difference means its the middle of the night / very early morning - not the best time to be bidding on a grail!

Thanks to anyone who answers!

On 11/12/2021 at 6:57 AM, Beige said:

How close to the end of an auction do most folks enter their 'final bid' - as in 'this is my max'?

Sorry for such inane questions - but being in Australia the time difference means its the middle of the night / very early morning - not the best time to be bidding on a grail!

I'm in the same boat as you, as I'm in Hong Kong.

I usually put in my max bid in the last hour of internet bidding, and then let it ride while I go to sleep.  This worked pretty well before the pandemic.  Since then, prices have exploded so much that my max bids are left in the dust by the live floor bidding, because the live bidders don't seem to be tied to benchmarks.  The only price that matters to them is whatever it takes to win.   

On 11/11/2021 at 5:57 PM, Beige said:

I had to look up MK ultra lol

Thanks to anyone who answers!

The most obnoxious part is the virtual auctioneer who—is a virtual auctioneer a who?—who always says, "YOU'VE been outbid!" in a tone of voice that sounds like, "Nyah-nyah-nuh-nyah-nyah!"

At the same time, the words "YOU ARE NO LONGER WINNING. YOU'VE BEEN OUTBID." show up on the screen (in bold, red letters in all caps, as shown).

And at the very same time, the words "ITEM ENDING" are flashing on the screen, and you have about three seconds to decide whether to bid again and be a "winner," or to not bid and be a "loser," forever mocked by the virtual auctioneer.

To answer your question, it doesn't matter when you put your proxy bid in, but you might as well wait till the last day in order to reduce the likelihood of being outbid. If you must win a book no matter what, meaning that you're willing to pay $5,000 for a $250 book so that you feel like a "winner," then you should bid live. But if you put in a proxy bid, you run the risk of being outbid by another bidder who is willing to pay $5,000 for a $250 book so that he can feel like a "winner."

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 11/12/2021 at 10:15 AM, tth2 said:

I'm in the same boat as you, as I'm in Hong Kong.

I usually put in my max bid in the last hour of internet bidding, and then let it ride while I go to sleep.  This worked pretty well before the pandemic.  Since then, prices have exploded so much that my max bids are left in the dust by the live floor bidding, because the live bidders don't seem to be tied to benchmarks.  The only price that matters to them is whatever it takes to win.   

On 11/12/2021 at 11:13 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

The most obnoxious part is the virtual auctioneer who—is a virtual auctioneer a who?—who always says, "YOU'VE been outbid!" in a tone of voice that sounds like, "Nyah-nyah-nuh-nyah-nyah!"

At the same time, the words "YOU ARE NO LONGER WINNING. YOU'VE BEEN OUTBID." show up on the screen (in bold, red letters in all caps, as shown).

And at the very same time, the words "ITEM ENDING" are flashing on the screen, and you have about three seconds to decide whether to bid again and be a "winner," or to not bid and be a "loser," forever mocked by the virtual auctioneer.

To answer your question, it doesn't matter when you put your proxy bid in, but you might as well wait till the last day in order to reduce the likelihood of being outbid. If you must win a book no matter what, meaning that you're willing to pay $5,000 for a $250 book so that you feel like a "winner," then you should bid live. But if you put in a proxy bid, you run the risk of being outbid by another bidder who is willing to pay $5,000 for a $250 book so that he can feel like a "winner."

Thanks guys - the book I'm after isn't a 'mainstream' type book, but is one that if you are collecting the run, then it's highly unlikely to show up in high-grade again.

Most of the run change hands privately, so its hard to get them all in the grades I'm after - I'm at 50% of them after quite some time.

Feels like a fools errand - and then I get a break.

I'll bid before I go to sleep, not sleep, and then get up and fret.

There have been 2 sales in my desired grade range in the last 2 decades. I have zero idea what the end price could be, so I doubt I have a chance.

I have not picked a good run to collect!