• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,535 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2021 at 6:14 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

This surprised me a little

3076D6B8-746C-4FC9-86BF-322E9EE4A02C.jpeg

57E947B3-CECB-47BB-B821-A989CFD4357A.jpeg

I tried collecting Prize comics about 15 years ago when I was still buying comics, because they had a lot of cool covers and were cheap in the guide. Found that there were never copies for sale of any of them anywhere and the ones that came up for auction always went for way more than "expected" so I gave up. In the current Promise environment and in this condition, this doesn't surprise me that much. It went for way more than the others. but it's arguably a war cover, much cooler than the others, and probably the last war cover of the series + money is water today, there are only 3 copies on the census and it only takes 2 diehards.

On 8/17/2021 at 9:56 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Even with what Promise books have been going for, that one surprises me, too. Maybe someone is going after a highest-graded run of that title. I would have predicted a hammer price around $2K. For some people $8,400 is nothing. Those people used to look down their noses at comic book collecting, but I guess the hobby is more socially acceptable now. (For many years I was ridiculed mercilessly by anyone who found out I collected comic books; people were outraged that a grown man would collect comic books. I'm sure some people still feel that way, but I don't get harassed that way I used to )

Back in 96/97 I worked with a lawyer who, along with his admin assistant, made merciless fun of my comic hobby. Then I discovered he collected diecast military vehicles. I made him explain the "Tootsie toy" he kept in his pocket during a board meeting where these gruff old men were not amused that their corporate lawyer carried around a toy. It was surprisingly brutal, and I ended up feeling guilty, with one asking him if his security blanket was kept in his other pocket. Found out later that he was notorious for "kidding on the square" and had pissed off everyone in the room at least once. It was his power play go-to and they all leapt at the chance for payback.

On 8/17/2021 at 2:43 PM, Badger said:

Back in 96/97 I worked with a lawyer who, along with his admin assistant, made merciless fun of my comic hobby. Then I discovered he collected diecast military vehicles. I made him explain the "Tootsie toy" he kept in his pocket during a board meeting where these gruff old men were not amused that their corporate lawyer carried around a toy. It was surprisingly brutal, and I ended up feeling guilty, with one asking him if his security blanket was kept in his other pocket. Found out later that he was notorious for "kidding on the square" and had pissed off everyone in the room at least once. It was his power play go-to and they all leapt at the chance for payback.

Good lord it sounds like you all but pulled down his pants and spanked him in front of some power players.  And it sounds like the guy deserved it.  That was the end of your partnership, sounds like.

On 8/17/2021 at 2:53 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Good lord it sounds like you all but pulled down his pants and spanked him in front of some power players.  And it sounds like the guy deserved it.  That was the end of your partnership, sounds like.

Actually, it was rather strange at the time. He quit bugging me and even helped the CSO do a subtle offline interview to see if I could be the Director of Biotechnology. The quickly discovered answer? No. Definitely not my wheelhouse. :roflmao:

On 8/17/2021 at 10:33 AM, Surfing Alien said:

I tried collecting Prize comics about 15 years ago when I was still buying comics, because they had a lot of cool covers and were cheap in the guide. Found that there were never copies for sale of any of them anywhere and the ones that came up for auction always went for way more than "expected" so I gave up. In the current Promise environment and in this condition, this doesn't surprise me that much. It went for way more than the others. but it's arguably a war cover, much cooler than the others, and probably the last war cover of the series + money is water today, there are only 3 copies on the census and it only takes 2 diehards.

I have collected them for years. Have always been tough to find especially the WWII covers. I rarely get them anymore. Big money for that one in high grade and being a pedigree isn’t surprising but that seems a bit stiff. 

On 8/18/2021 at 10:24 AM, Robot Man said:

I don’t recall ever being picked on for collecting comics. I wouldn’t care anyway. Maybe because I have a real life and don’t look the “type”.  I always let people know I’m a collector. It has produced a lot of nice collections for me. 

Back in the day, most people I spoke with just looked confused. They could not understand anyone treating comic books seriously. In the 1980s, this began to change. I bought G.I. Joe #2 at a grocery store and the checker asked if that book was worth any money. I knew that it was low print run, I don't remember how I knew that, and said it was worth more than cover price. She very seriously responded, "Only if you can find someone willing to pay." Almost a sneer but I've never been quite sure if she was just being truthful or just sceptical.

By the 1990s, it seems like everyone knew that SOME comics could be valuable and my hobby no longer caused confusion or sneers in mass. That is one reason why the lawyer I worked with shocked me so much. It had been quite a while since my hobby had generated that much scorn. My response in trying to humiliate him in turn was a base action but he really annoyed me. Turns out he had annoyed quite a few others and paid the price. :devil:

On 8/21/2021 at 1:19 AM, Robot Man said:

Any of you “old guys” remember when seeing any female at a comic con was rarer than an Action #1?

Times have surely changed...

Cosplayers don't count.  They might be into dressing up like comic characters, but the vast majority of them have no interest in comic books themselves.