• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,535 posts in this topic

I noticed some promise books broke some records, like the Crimes by Women at 26K and comments by the board members on the record prices, this is nothing compared to the complaining about the MIle HIgh and SF pricing 50 years ago. Let me say this on the record, the prices paid today for Promise  OO pedigreed books will look like bargains after the last OO Promise book is sold and there are no more. When these books hit resale and all the waiters who have sat by the sidelines, saying this is costs  too much, wait till that last auction of OO Promise books and wait till you see the resale prices when the final action is done. Do not wait, this collection will go down as one of the top 5 greatest OO pedigree collections of all time and over time, for what this collection really is, it will gain in stature just as the SF/MH collections have grown over the next 5-10 years.

We are seeing world record prices for world record once in a lifetime  quality material. you pay for what you get, but if you pay a bit more for quality, in the long run it pays off. Especially this amazing number of 9.6/ 9.8 GA books....these are not replaceable some for any price.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 9/12/2021 at 3:15 PM, Mmehdy said:

Pedigree story

1-Promise

2 Gaines 

3-SF..Riely killled in WW2

4-Church

5-pick them

I'd do it a little differently when ranking by backstory. 

1. Okajima (little Japanese girl collecting comics in an Internment camp? Wow)

2. Promise

3. SF

4. Church (Although really SF and Church could change rank depending on my mood.)

5. Allentown (All number #1s or first appearances. :luhv:)

On 9/12/2021 at 1:59 PM, sagii said:

Though small, I'd put the Allentown as 5 to your list. Totally fascinated with that mini hoard .

Though the smallest of all the pedigrees out there at only 135 books, definitely right up there in stature as one of the top pedigrees out there due to the sheer number of early big keys in the collection, and virtually all of them in true high grade condition to boot.  :luhv:  :takeit:

Definitely none of the seemingly inflated overgrading or at best, inconsistent grading that seems to be taking place nowadays.  :fear:

On 9/12/2021 at 4:07 PM, Badger said:

1. Okajima (little Japanese girl collecting comics in an Internment camp? Wow)

2. Promise

3. SF

4. Church (Although really SF and Church could change rank depending on my mood.)

Wait, you'd put the promise above Church? :S

I guess I haven't been following this promise collection that closely, but it seems like a decent story (brothers to korea, the surviving brother holds the younger's collection) but the whole thing still seems a little marred by a lack of details, over grading, chain of custody, etc.

The church collection just rings to me as such an amazing story.  Man collects piles of comics for decades.  Kids put him in the hospital/home and want his junk gone.  Young collector by luck gets into the house before the books hit the dumpster and jumpstarts the high end golden age collecting hobby.

Edited by waaaghboss

On 9/12/2021 at 7:07 PM, Badger said:

Are you confusing this with a different collection?  Allentown has some of the nicest known copies of some big keys (Tec27 and Cap 1), but it also contains some small runs of comics (Batman, Wonderworld, Detective, etc)

On 9/13/2021 at 3:23 AM, Crowzilla said:

Are you confusing this with a different collection?  Allentown has some of the nicest known copies of some big keys (Tec27 and Cap 1), but it also contains some small runs of comics (Batman, Wonderworld, Detective, etc)

I think it's the Denver pedigree that is all #1s. 

With some of the out of this galaxy prices that we have seen on the Western genre books, it almost makes me wonder if it's time for all of the virtually comatose cowboy aficionados to have their long awaited and much overdue day in the sun after a very long 60+ years eclipse.   :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :whee:

Saw this in a PM sent to me, but just wondering if any boardie here was lucky enough to pick up this "very tightly graded" 2nd highest graded Promise copy of Best Western 58 at a bargain basement price of only $1,560 or well over 5X top of guide:  :devil:  :fear:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/western/best-western-58-the-promise-collection-pedigree-marvel-1949-cgc-nm-92-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122137-13201.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F6%2F7%2F4%2F24674519%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

No doubt the "lucky" winner here must be banking on a potential upgrade here to at least a CGC 9.4 where its companion Best Western 59 was graded at and managed to fetched $3,840 or just over 13X top of guide.  Well, at least it does look better than that CGC 8.5 graded copy of Gangsters Can't Win #2 which another boardie had posted up here on the boards.  lol  :screwy:

Seriously though, it is indeed finally good to see strong prices in some of the Western theme books during the past couple of years, and not just limited to the heroes who wear their undies on the outside, the GGA classic cover books, PCH, or what have you.  Especially for an old-timer like me who still remember the family getting their first TV and turning it on and pretty much nothing except all of those cowboy shows on the TV back then.  :luhv:  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/13/2021 at 1:36 AM, waaaghboss said:

Wait, you'd put the promise above Church? :S

I guess I haven't been following this promise collection that closely, but it seems like a decent story (brothers to korea, the surviving brother holds the younger's collection) but the whole thing still seems a little marred by a lack of details, over grading, chain of custody, etc.

The church collection just rings to me as such an amazing story.  Man collects piles of comics for decades.  Kids put him in the hospital/home and want his junk gone.  Young collector by luck gets into the house before the books hit the dumpster and jumpstarts the high end golden age collecting hobby.

Church takes it for me. Church bought nearly every book for well over 10 years and stored them in perfect condition. Then you have the purchase and reinventing the comic market. 

The SF collection story has never been fully authenticated. 

On 9/13/2021 at 7:50 AM, Robot Man said:

Church takes it for me. Church bought nearly every book for well over 10 years and stored them in perfect condition. Then you have the purchase and reinventing the comic market. 

The SF collection story has never been fully authenticated. 

When the SF collection hit, I was at the berkley con, when nick brought in the first batch of books. I can back up there was 3 large sales from family, it actually did not take place in SF, but just got the nickname, I have seen both, I would rank SF a tad higher than MH, just FYI my opinion in the crispness of the books, they were both felt like brand new books, amazing 

On 9/13/2021 at 8:21 AM, Mutie Fan said:

I think it's the Denver pedigree that is all #1s. 

Interesting. Somehow the fact that Allentown had some small runs escaped me. Maybe I did confuse the Denver and Allentown.(shrug)