• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,535 posts in this topic

On 3/27/2023 at 7:45 AM, tth2 said:

Some massive hair cuts were taken on 3 Promise books that I was following in the ongoing Heritage weekly auction:

Kerry Drake Detective Cases #15 CGC 9.8 OW/W just sold for $660.  It sold for $1200 in October 2022.  This was the smallest percentage loss among the three! :eek: 

Kerry Drake Detective Cases #18 CGC 9.8 OW/W just sold for $552.  It sold for $2640 in October 2022. 

L'il Abner #69 CGC 9.6 OW/W just sold for $840.  It sold for $2640 in October 2022. 

Even if this is money laundering, I don't think you're supposed to take 80% losses in the process.  The consignors may have some visitors soon.

The Reason Some Fans Hated The Salamanca Twins In Breaking Bad  

Even the lower prices are nuts for those. How many people are still alive who know who Kerry Drake or even Lil Abner are these days? They almost fall into Dell western areas. I can’t think of anyone who seeks these out.

Obviously, still Promise hype…

On 3/27/2023 at 8:42 AM, buttock said:

If you just told me the prices on this most recent sale for all three I would have thought they sounded high.  I mean... Kerry Drake and Li'l Abner?!?

And yet a seemingly overwhelming portion of this Promise pedigree was made up of exactly these kinds of long forgotten and not in-demand titles which were successfully hyped by the gang at Heritage and with the able help by the boys at CGC were able to market the pedigree as an once in a lifetime generational collection of books in condition grades that had not been seen to this point in time.  hm  (shrug)

Then again, I wonder if the bidders ever considered the possibility that these titles were not seen in this condition due to the possibility that collectors never thought it would have been worthwhile to have these types of books graded and slabbed in the first place.  doh!

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/27/2023 at 10:53 AM, Badger said:

Looks like Greg Reese may have squeaked out a profit on this one.

Well, it would appear that buyers stand a much better chance of not losing their shirts and pants if they avoided the much overhyped uber HG copies of the Promise books, and possibly even their undies by staying far away from the even more overhyped so-called single highest graded copies of these Promise Collection books.  :blush:  (:

On 3/27/2023 at 11:59 AM, Robot Man said:

Even the lower prices are nuts for those. How many people are still alive who know who Kerry Drake or even Lil Abner are these days? They almost fall into Dell western areas. I can’t think of anyone who seeks these out.

2500+ for a kerry drake book, oy.

2021 was a different time, let's leave it at that.

On 3/27/2023 at 1:53 PM, Badger said:

Looks like Greg Reese may have squeaked out a profit on this one.

image.thumb.png.175ec041ce324ebc871641de7fb8b745.png

image.thumb.png.3e3d0c462c3cb46d78b735e21361a9ef.png

While I'm retired these days I still keep up with some of the goings on with the business and we just took that book, along with some other really cool GA books, in trade this past week. Best to all, Greg

On 3/27/2023 at 8:39 PM, gregreece said:

While I'm retired these days I still keep up with some of the goings on with the business and we just took that book, along with some other really cool GA books, in trade this past week. Best to all, Greg

Congratulations on your retirement!

On 3/27/2023 at 10:59 AM, Robot Man said:

At one time L'il Abner was quite popular... :preach:

On 3/27/2023 at 7:45 AM, tth2 said:

Some massive hair cuts were taken on 3 Promise books that I was following in the ongoing Heritage weekly auction:

Kerry Drake Detective Cases #15 CGC 9.8 OW/W just sold for $660.  It sold for $1200 in October 2022.  This was the smallest percentage loss among the three! :eek: 

Oh, wow......................I am actually stunned and totally shocked that this all-time classic cover book with the "can't take your eyes off the cover" artwork didn't sell for more on its second go round:  :takeit:  (:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Crime, Kerry Drake Detective Cases #15 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Harvey, 1949) CGC NM/MT 9.8 Off-white to white pages....

As for the Promise re-offerings on Heritage this past Sunday, it appears that you missed a couple of them here:  :gossip:  

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/MR.-tracy-monthly-12-the-promise-collection-pedigree-dell-1948-cgc-nm-92-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122313-17089.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Crime, Dick Tracy Monthly #12 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Dell, 1948) CGC NM- 9.2 Off-white to white pages....

MR. Tracy #12 CGC 9.2 sold for $456 as compared to $1,020 in October of 2022 for a percentage loss of >55%; and  :tonofbricks:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/li-l-abner-70-the-promise-collection-pedigree-toby-press-1949-cgc-vf-nm-90-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122313-17164.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, Li'l Abner #70 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Toby Press, 1949) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white to white pages....

Li'l Abner #70 CGC 9.0 sold for only $192 as compared to $780 in October of 2022 for a percentage loss of >75%.  :fear::tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/27/2023 at 10:13 PM, lou_fine said:

Oh, wow......................I am actually stunned and totally shocked that this all-time classic cover book with the "can't take your eyes off the cover" artwork didn't sell for more on its second go round:  :takeit:  (:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Crime, Kerry Drake Detective Cases #15 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Harvey, 1949) CGC NM/MT 9.8 Off-white to white pages....

As for the Promise re-offerings on Heritage this past Sunday, it appears that you missed a couple of them here:  :gossip:  

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/MR.-tracy-monthly-12-the-promise-collection-pedigree-dell-1948-cgc-nm-92-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122313-17089.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Crime, Dick Tracy Monthly #12 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Dell, 1948) CGC NM- 9.2 Off-white to white pages....

MR. Tracy #12 CGC 9.2 sold for $456 as compared to $1,020 in October of 2022 for a percentage loss of >55%; and  :tonofbricks:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/li-l-abner-70-the-promise-collection-pedigree-toby-press-1949-cgc-vf-nm-90-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122313-17164.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, Li'l Abner #70 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Toby Press, 1949) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white to white pages....

Li'l Abner #70 CGC 9.0 sold for only $192 as compared to $780 in October of 2022 for a percentage loss of >75%.  :fear::tonofbricks:

Non Promise copies of books like this even in very high grade would have trouble even finding new owners in the $100-150 range on a normal basis. Probably the reason they sold at all was the “Promise”. I had hoped to maybe get a strip reprint copy or two in that price range just to have one in my pedigree collection. But that turned out to be not the case. I can live without one.

On 3/28/2023 at 6:58 AM, tth2 said:

I don't know anything about the comic books, but I'm a collector of Lil Abner original art from the 1930s.  Al Capp was a really underappreciated artist and writer whose tight lines and lush inks have to be viewed in person to be properly appreciated.  Also, some of his storylines were so whacky that I have to wonder if there was some reefer madness going on back then.  They could have seamlessly fit into an underground comic. hm

Indeed. If you have an open mind and enjoy the medium, they can be quite enjoyable. I have a handful of the comics  and have liked reading them. But his time has passed and I only buy them cheaply. Daisy Mae was a hottie!

On 3/28/2023 at 11:30 AM, MrBedrock said:
On 3/28/2023 at 10:32 AM, buttock said:

I targeted only a select few, and couldn't be happier with my choices.  If I tried to sell them now...

...I  would buy them.

The other fan of Kerry Drake has been found! ^^